Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge and club direction

My questions

1 Do you make a game plan to suit your list or do you make a list to suit your game plan ?
    At the moment it seems we are playing a plan our list can't do.
    Do we have confidence in Luke and what he is doing or most importantly do the players buy into it ?
    Our first qtrs look so good lately but we just go into a shell after that. Are we too young to continue it and if so should Luke be using a plan to suit the fitness and age of the list and stop the hidings before they totally destroy the confidence of the team?
    To be honest our team selections are very puzzling and even the positions some are playing.
    Does anyone have doubts on what's happening and where we are heading?
    It's hard being outside " the four walls" but it's something I am questioning , is anyone inside the club able to put light to some of the things going on and why ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and club direction

It seems ridiculous its even being raised but it just looks from the outside that the players are not buying in. Unless you're inside you wouldn't really know but thats what it looks like to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    It seems ridiculous its even being raised but it just looks from the outside that the players are not buying in. Unless you're inside you wouldn't really know but thats what it looks like to me.
    I missed the game, but held my thoughts last week. A genuine question for me right now is if there is something going on at the club of a significant nature in the player ranks. I'm sure the media will ask this question to top club officials this week.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

From my POV, the most significant thing happening at the club is that the team that is representing the jumper ATM is a shell of a competent AFL team due to the number of players currently not available or totally out of form.

A coach is only as good as the cattle available.
    Footscray member since 1980.

5. Likes westbulldog, Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I missed the game, but held my thoughts last week. A genuine question for me right now is if there is something going on at the club of a significant nature in the player ranks. I'm sure the media will ask this question to top club officials this week.
    Barrett ran with the narrative of players not talking to each other a few weeks back.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

My post was meant more as the Bevo game plan and is it working.
    I don't think it's a player issue, we have the talent but you have to find the right plan that works for the group.
    I'm not sure the coaching group has it right, we have had the same issue of delivery and forward line function since before the GF . We have gone out and got big forwards and it's still not coming together.
    Lets face it we know we go in to our forward 50 a lot but we can't even get a 50/50 win.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a wonder we are in free fall when apparently the game plan we worked on in the preseason was ditched a couple of rounds in.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo in his presser he said 'the flag hasn't done anyone a favour'.

I certainly would have thought winning the 2016 flag would have motivated us even more into 2017 but clearly something didn't go right since then and we need to find out what it is to address the rut we are in.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Bevo in his presser he said 'the flag hasn't done anyone a favour'.

I certainly would have thought winning the 2016 flag would have motivated us even more into 2017 but clearly something didn't go right since then and we need to find out what it is to address the rut we are in.
    It's an interesting point he has raised, is he conceding we have had some challenges with motivation or something else?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's an interesting point he has raised, is he conceding we have had some challenges with motivation or something else?
    He meant that now, every team think or are expected to think, that they can win the flag every year. The slow progression from young team to contender isn't as accepted now. That's across the comp. Not just for us.

12. Likes Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    He meant that now, every team think or are expected to think, that they can win the flag every year. The slow progression from young team to contender isn't as accepted now. That's across the comp. Not just for us.
    The way I interpreted his comments were around if our players have handled the success of 2016 and if we need to change the list.
    I'm over hearing about the impacts of the flag, it comes down to player management.
    Yes we have given other clubs something to aspire to but lets get our own house in order and get on with things.

When he arrived at the club Bevo promised to improve our skill level and that hasn't happened he also hasn't addressed our goal kicking from set shots. Fix those things and I think we are well back on track and would have us as a relevant club.

14. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not like we don't get it in our forward 50 often enough. It's what we do when it gets there is the problem.
    Fumbles, dropped marks that should be taken by a league player and missing set shots that school kids would get 98% of the time.
    Delivery from up the field is the first thing I would look at. we need mids that can find a target or put it to their advantage.
    We still do a lot of bombing it in and make it someone else's problem.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It's not like we don't get it in our forward 50 often enough. It's what we do when it gets there is the problem.
    Fumbles, dropped marks that should be taken by a league player and missing set shots that school kids would get 98% of the time.
    Delivery from up the field is the first thing I would look at. we need mids that can find a target or put it to their advantage.
    We still do a lot of bombing it in and make it someone else's problem.
    Long Bombs to Tom (now there's a username) if you have a couple of good crumbers could work otherwise fix the skill level and we become a far better side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Long Bombs to Tom (now there's a username) if you have a couple of good crumbers could work otherwise fix the skill level and we become a far better side.
    Or just get somebody who can kick straight.

I do like Long Bombs to Tom.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a break down between mids and forwards.
    Maybe the mids coach should be the forwards coach as well so they connect properly.
    I do question our team selections at times and the big one is Wallis , he is the one who gives his all for the club and always will , he is a good shot at goal and his passing into the the forward line is better than anyone else we have.
    Campbell another.
    I just don't get it as much as we diagnose every week it comes back to strange team selection quite a few times now.
    But in saying all this if our forward line and mids suddenly connect I think we would be extremely hard to beat.
    Bring back the biff