Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL consider four umpires in all games next year

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...05-p4zjka.html

The AFL is open to the idea of having four field umpires in all games next year, having announced that it will trial four umpires during rounds 13 and 14.

The AFL's general manager of football, Steve Hocking, said four umpires would not be introduced full-time this season, but it was on the agenda for consideration in 2019. "In the future, yes,'' said Hocking, when asked if the four umpires could become the norm. "Not in this season, no.''

Luke Parker has got moves, Jesse Hogan bags a handful, Tim Kelly is a class act, Shane Edwards with goal assist of the round and Kangaroo Wright is a prostrate goal sneak.

Hocking said four umpires was a possibility for next year. "It's one of the things on [the agenda].'' During the upcoming trial, two of the four umpires will be stationed in the middle of the ground, between the two arcs, with one umpire placed inside each of the 50-metre arcs at each end. The AFL says the umpires will be positioned to reflect the way the game is played today.

Hocking said one of the reasons for the trial was to see whether four umpires could extend the careers of the better decision-makers, by reducing their physical demands.

Hocking said the umpiring department – which is headed by Grant Williams and ex-umpire Hayden Kennedy – wanted to try four umpires for these 12 matches to see the impact on how the game was umpired. The AFL has trialled four umpires in the past, but this trial is the most extensive and clearly is a trial for its potential introduction full-time.

The 18 clubs have been sent a memo explaining the rationale for the four-umpire experiment, such as positioning the umpires to reflect the way the different way the game is played today.

Another reason for the trial was to allow the better umpires to officiate in multiple games (across the same round) if the physical demands are decreased.

See, the last sentence is where they lose me.

If part of the objective is to get the best umpires umpiring multiple times in a single round, surely that points to an issue with umpire development rather than issues with the physical demands?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL consider four umpires in all games next year

The most over officiated game in the world
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL has AFL covered as most over-officiated. They have an umpire just to watch the quarterback.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about multiple games, but about saving money longer term...

- There's 9 games with 3 umpires each week. That's 27 umpires and I'll guess 20% more on the wider panel as a very minimum so say about 33 umpires.
    - Say with 4 umpires they can get that number down to 23 umpires as a very minimum on the panel.
    - So say the move allows the AFEL to shrink the panel by 10 umpires.
    - Many umpires have high paying day jobs, such as lawyers etc. To make them go professional the base should be an extra $200,000 to allow for them sacrificing their wages and having their careers put on hold.

So, if they can go to a four umpire system, thereby shrinking the size of the field umpire panel by about 10 umpires, the AFEL would save $2,000,000 p.a. when they have to move to professionalise field umpiring. That's in a sense good for the game that the AFEL are looking to reduce the financial cost of a move to full time professionalism. But what's the cost? In the games I've seen with four umpires I've seen lesser standards of umpiring. I don't see enough basis to suggest four umpires makes the game better officiated. But the game will be cheaper to officiate however, for a multi billion dollar sports body, so that should cover any damage to the actual sport.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 06-06-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Thai Poh
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    NFL has AFL covered as most over-officiated. They have an umpire just to watch the quarterback.
    At least all of the officials in the NFL can actually call a penalty. We have four umpires that have two jobs: Blow the whistle when the ball crosses the line, and throw it back in again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    At least all of the officials in the NFL can actually call a penalty. We have four umpires that have two jobs: Blow the whistle when the ball crosses the line, and throw it back in again.
    But they look so darned officious in doing so.

Has it ever fundamentally concerned anyone just how bloody ridiculous the rigidity of AFL umpire movement and process is? I mean seriously, why do they have to be so proper?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But they look so darned officious in doing so.

Has it ever fundamentally concerned anyone just how bloody ridiculous the rigidity of AFL umpire movement and process is? I mean seriously, why do they have to be so proper?

I think I know but some umpires post here so I will keep my opinions to myself...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that the AFL powers that be are doing everything they can to be nothing like the NFL. Overofficiating has completely ruined their product, taking away all spontaneity by reviewing all cool plays to within an inch of their life and making actually sitting through a game a demoralising chore.

Their viewership is in a free fall and the game has never been worse.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Lord, no!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

This is an attempt to keep the old boys in jobs for longer. Staggering that they are putting down the next level so publicly

Post Thanks / Like

We can't afford to kit each of the grounds out with uniform, functional goal review cameras and technology but we can afford the recurring cost of 9 more umpires each round?

Now that's insane.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If that's the only change they make I'll consider us saved from the usual tinkering for headlines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I dont see why this would bother you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    I dont see why this would bother you.
    Did I say it bothers me?

But seeing you asked - the inconsistencies in decisions will be exaggerated.