Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs leadership group has 'let the team down': Johannisen

Link

Western Bulldogs dasher Jason Johannisen has conceded the club's leadership group has not performed to on-field expectations, in a year when the Dogs appear almost certain to again miss the finals.

Memories of the breakthrough premiership in 2016 have quickly dissipated, prompting even coach Luke Beveridge to question whether that success had come too early in the team's growth cycle.

The Dogs had hoped to rebound this year and rekindle the manic pressure which underpined their premiership but form issues, a battle to kick goals, and injuries have contributed to a sub-par campaign, leaving them in 14th spot heading into Saturday's clash against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Johannisen, the Norm Smith Medallist in that stunning win over the Swans, said the leadership group this year had not provided the on-field drive required. This group comprises skipper Easton Wood, vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter, Jack Redpath, Jordan Roughead and Johannisen.

"As a leadership group, we have probably let the team down a bit. We haven't been consistent with our performances," Johannisen said on Tuesday.

"We have to step up ourselves but, in saying that, the young players, like Ed Richards, and Aaron Naughton has been in the team, and Josh Schache, they have shown some promising signs and they have played some good footy. It's exciting to see. We just have to keep the attitude at training and try and get everyone going and try and improve."

The Dogs attempted to turn Wood into a forward this year but that plan was abandoned after he struggled. He may now not play again this season, having ripped his hamstring in the heavy loss to Port Adelaide.

Bontempelli, averaging 22 touches per game, remains a match-winner but is not having the impact he once had, Hunter has had a strong season, averaging 28 possessions, behind only Jack Macrae (32), Redpath has been restricted to only two senior matches because of suspension and injury, while Roughead's career is at the crossroads, with even Beveridge publicly questioning his form.

Johannisen, often used as a half-forward, has had a modest season, averaging 19 touches but he had only 13 against the Power and 14 against Collingwood in round 10.

The Dogs have lost their past four matches by 37 points (Adelaide), 35 (Collingwood), 49 (Melbourne) and 57 (Port Adelaide) and are dealing with a series of injuries heading into the clash against the Roos.

Bontempelli will need to pass a fitness test on his hyper-extended knee, having fallen awkwardly against the Power. Midfielder Lukas Webb will miss three weeks because of a broken thumb, Macrae, having enjoyed All-Australian form and rated a Brownlow Medal chance, is nursing a strained hamstring, Toby McLean has a shoulder issue, while ruckman-forward Tom Boyd has a compound dislocation of his finger.

"I have been in this position before - when your back is against the wall, the team really gels well together," Johannisen said.

"The attitude is the boys want to get better and they want to improve. We just have to work hard and do that."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs leadership group has 'let the team down': Johannisen

A good appraisal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Why did we let this leadership group happen to begin with. Wood, yeah likely choice, Bont, of course, Roughhead yes. The other 3 hell no, they show no leadership qualities at all.

Sadly one of the players who has Red, White and Blue in his veins and will probably leave us next season would have been an excellent leader for this team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Why did we let this leadership group happen to begin with. Wood, yeah likely choice, Bont, of course, Roughhead yes. The other 3 hell no, they show no leadership qualities at all.

Sadly one of the players who has Red, White and Blue in his veins and will probably leave us next season would have been an excellent leader for this team.
    It was the playing group who selected their leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

In hindsight the composition of the leadership group looks every bit the masterstroke the shuffling of line coaches turned out to be.

They haven't been particularly well served though ...

Easton Wood - Injury, positional shenanigans
    Marcus Bontempelli - Injury, patchy form
    Lachie Hunter - Very patchy form
    Jack Redpath - Injury, suspension shenanigans we compounded
    Jordan Roughead - Injury, very, very, very patchy form
    Jason Johannisen - Positional shenanigans, very patchy form

Bless the kids that're standing up amidst that little trainwreck.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

At the time I thought it was good that some unconventional types were leaders. You don't always want the class prefect kind of guys. Especially because JJ and Hunter are good mates of Stringer, it seemed like a statement that they too were committed to certain standards. However like so many other things in 2018, it hasn't gone to plan. Would be great if JJ backed up today's words with a best on ground performance. He's likely to be close to the oldest player out there.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    It was the playing group who selected their leaders.
    I know PP. Surely the club could have had some input.

Post Thanks / Like

Voted by the players I believe. Sounds like a good theory but...
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yeah I know GVGJr. My concern is why didn't the club have a say? Is this how it is done every year or done by other clubs? The selections are appalling.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know GVGJr. My concern is why didn't the club have a say? Is this how it is done every year or done by other clubs? The selections are appalling.
    The only one I was concerned with was Redpath - i know he is a funny guy and good to have around, but a leader???

I was surprised Wallis wasn't in the group.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Particularly in lieu of the blokes they were replacing.

Some transition.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only one I was concerned with was Redpath - i know he is a funny guy and good to have around, but a leader???

I was surprised Wallis wasn't in the group.
    As silly as it sounds Libba would have been a decent choice there. He's had issues off field so there is that which rules him out but when you watch a game he just has a leadership presence on the field. It's hard to describe but people around him seem more confident when he's out there.

14. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter is very loud on the field and is considered a leader by the playing group. I understand his inclusion.

There is one very obvious exclusion though - Macrae. He is a loud voice on the field, perhaps being quiet off it hurt him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It looks a bit like it turned into a popularity contest. You don't want to hear Mitch Wallis's appraisal of your game? No problems, vote for Big Red instead.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter is definitely deserving. He constantly organises structure during a game.