Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 22, 2018 vs Carlton

This is the round 22, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 22, 2018 vs Carlton

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Naughton - Looks like seasoned veteran in under a year. I can't wait to see the leaner, stronger, faster version after a full preseason.
    Bonts - 37 touches.
    Jong - He just gets big hits, gets up, gets more big hits and again each week. He's a touch bastard and two goals to boot

A

Having to watch that game.
    The effort for most of the game.
    Lynch seems to have lost the chips, he won at the table.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Bontempelli - terrific effort playing with a fair amount of injury and discomfort.
    Dunkley in the midfield.
    Wallis - a passionate bulldog, sign him up on a good deal.

A
    The moron who threw the coke bottle at Dale Thomas, if he is a member then cancel his membership for good. Etihad should ban him as well. Welcome to national tv mate. No excuse for that behaviour in our game.
    Dickson didn't do a lot.
    Lynch didn't do a lot.

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, ban them for life from the club and the stadium. We can all passionately disagree with each other, but throwing bottles at footballers is garbage. If they are a member, and I hope the club tells us what they've done with him.

This is why some stadiums around the world are caged in, and why the WACA a few years ago installed soft netting to stop idiots running onto the field. I really don't like it. Good call westbulldog.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Dunkley, 36 touches of which 16 were contested
    2. The Bont
    3. Wallis nailing the goal from a long way out and Schache's goal in the last - just when they were needed.

1. Dunkley for missing an easy goal and kicking 3 behinds.
    2. The bottle throwers, what morons, and they were Doggies supporters.
    3. The free kick to Carlton in the last, what a joke that was. It was called over the shoulder and the player faked and exaggerted and got a free.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

B.
    Trengove like Crozier has taken time to be a consistent performer, but he was again very good. Sort of reminded me of Ben Hudson's role.
    2. Lin Jong is going to get himself killed one day. He refuses to shirk and always goes when it his his turn, and it was often his turn today.
    3. Macrae just moved from contest to contest all day, and generally used it well.

A.
    1. Our insipid play going inside 50 was on show again. We desperately need to address this, both from a delivery angle as well as forward running patterns.
    2. Turnover kings. Dunkley, Jong, Schache, Daniel, Naughton, JJ, Bont and a couple others. Bont gets a pass as he is clearly constrained by hip and back issues. Better teams would have put us to the sword for it.
    3. Lynch has faded quickly and hopefully will use the offseason to find another level.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    - Naughton is our most important defender as a KPD teenager. Brilliant effort.
    - Crozier has a hell of a leap on him.
    - Bont & Dunkley were inside beasts

Anchors:
    - Our forwardline was terrible. Schache's workrate was there and Gowers tried hard but the stats say we killed them around the ground for little reward
    - Uninspiring game to watch. We didn't seem to have any spark in the first three quarters.
    - The arctic wind. It was like watching a game in the middle of winter at Willy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it's a banker, or anchor. But I found it hilarious Lynch on the back Daisy Thomas remonstrating trying, and trying and trying again to bring Thomas to the ground and not moving him a centimetre. Kudos for remonstrating Brad, but he's got 10 preseasons in those legs and you're 70kg ringing wet. I would've given up the third time, but by continuing to try without success you did make me giggle a little bit, and I think when Thomas worked out what that thing was buzzing around him was you, you thought it a little amusing. A banker for trying maybe though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post

A
    The moron who threw the coke bottle at Dale Thomas, if he is a member then cancel his membership for good. Etihad should ban him as well. Welcome to national tv mate. No excuse for that behaviour in our game.
    Think you will find there is a bit more too this. Special needs + helper in tow involved...

Agree with your sentiment but not all situations are equal.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes Testekill, AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was standing at the back of the section when the moron through the bottle. I am sure he a Carlton on user his coat. Look Like his dad or mate was remonstrating with him the most and had to convince him to leave before the Police dragged him away.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Winning. Even though it was such an uninspiring win but nevertheless still a win.

2. Centre clearance numbers. Carlton were apparently 3rd in the comp in this stats and we smashed them today in there. Well done Trengove, Wallis, Bont, Macrae, McLean, Dunkley and probably Jong. The ball use should of been much better but I'll save that for the Anchors.

3. Naughton. He kept Curnow quite all game.

Anchors

1. Ball use was well below par and no way is acceptable. 2nd last game of the year in a dead rubber, not much to get excited about I know, but we're better than that.

2. Shit umpiring all game. Calling soft frees and not calling obviously ones.

3. Constant slow plays. We kept stopping on propping when we had an open forward line and turned the match into a snore fest. Very unlikely the previous 2 weeks.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Our dominant midfield proved to be the difference
    Richards Naughton and Crozier have been great additions to our defence

Anchors
    Our attack has been ordinary all year
    The disposal compared to stronger teams is a major concern

Post Thanks / Like

B

1. Dale Morris showed all his experience today. Very solid game.
    2. Bont, hobbled Bont > any Blue Bagger going at 100%
    3. Dunks, kicking aside has built some good form. Prolific ball winner today.

A
    1. Dickson, really poor. Our delivery I50 is poor, but he compounded that for long stretches today with some really poor work off the ball.
    2. Dumb forward play. See above but attribute to most of our forwards for most of the day. SHOOT FARKEN
    3. Jed Lamb. Coward.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate your comment but there would have to be a fair bit of mitigation to excuse that action, perhaps so. I am sure however that many many people with all kinds of disability attend AFL matches every week and we don't see that happening.