Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Percentage of 17 points In Round 23 Thread

So we are locked with Freo for premiership points for natural draft pick 5 or 6. We are 17 points ahead on percentage.

Us: Richmond
    Them: Collingwood

I wonder if they're on the full tank engine and lose by 100 to make sure. Or if it'll be a close run thing if we lose to the top of the ladder team by a bit more than 17 points.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watching Percentage of 17 points In Round 23 Thread

I'd rather we flog Richmond by 100 points.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

3. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, boydogs, Dry Rot, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After yesterday’s effort I have NO doubt they are on the full time tank. They obviously want someone that looks to be going in the top 6.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before but winners are grinners and losers can please themselves. There is not enough difference between picks 6 and 7 to interest me in losing a game of football. Drafting 17 yo kids is mostly a crapshoot anyway. You're hiring a teenage boy trying to project forward to what he will turn out to be like when he is a 23-25 yo which is when you expect to maximise your return on him.

Yeah good luck with that. It's really worth destroying your culture and the fabric of your playing group over. Let's beat Richmond and Freo can please themselves.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, josie, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'd rather we flog Richmond by 100 points.
    I'd rather flog them by 200 points. It's more of a practical point as opposed to preference, of the team that Carlton nearly beat today, if they turn up again they'll probably lose to Richmond by 17+ points, what's going to happen to our ladder finishing spot. I for one will be closely watching Freo v Collingwood which is after our game next week, if we do. But I fear Freo are in full tank mode so it won't matter.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've said it before but winners are grinners and losers can please themselves. There is not enough difference between picks 6 and 7 to interest me in losing a game of football. Drafting 17 yo kids is mostly a crapshoot anyway. You're hiring a teenage boy trying to project forward to what he will turn out to be like when he is a 23-25 yo which is when you expect to maximise your return on him.

Yeah good luck with that. It's really worth destroying your culture and the fabric of your playing group over. Let's beat Richmond and Freo can please themselves.
    Uhh. I'm not saying lose, I've never advocated it. I'm saying the team that gave us one of the worst game in modern footy today is more likely than not to lose by 17 points next week against the team of the top of the ladder. If that happens. I can't be stuffed, see the other post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Uhh. I'm not saying lose, I've never advocated it. I'm saying the team that gave us one of the worst game in modern footy today is more likely than not to lose by 17 points next week against the team of the top of the ladder. If that happens. I can't be stuffed, see the other post.
    Sorry BT didn't mean to infer that you were. I was up on my high horse and it's difficult to see who's in the way with my mouth open.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather flog them by 200 points. It's more of a practical point as opposed to preference, of the team that Carlton nearly beat today, if they turn up again they'll probably lose to Richmond by 17+ points, what's going to happen to our ladder finishing spot. I for one will be closely watching Freo v Collingwood which is after our game next week, if we do. But I fear Freo are in full tank mode so it won't matter.
    Identical position to last season except with the saints. They played after us and did everything they could to ensure they lost by enough to finish below us. I have no doubt freo will do the same. We will finish above them, but freo, like the saints, will have a poor following year

Post Thanks / Like

With an aopology so eloquent, how can I not accept it!

The real reason is, 'if' we do lose by 17+, there's a thread ready to go just on this topic and to not derail every other thread about the topic for a week. It's conceivable, that if Gil tells Freo players to actually try, our ladder position will fluctuate up and down in real time for a couple of hours. A goal, a shit 50m or dodgy free kick, all could very well change where we finish the year and the draft pick attached. I hope Gil has picked up the phone. I don't want our position impacted by others tanking and ruining their culture.

All that said, showing the other 7 finalists you can beat Richmond on their deck would be more than satisfying. But we'll need a lot more effort and application than today's showing.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Identical position to last season except with the saints. They played after us and did everything they could to ensure they lost by enough to finish below us. I have no doubt freo will do the same. We will finish above them, but freo, like the saints, will have a poor following year
    Exactly. Yep. Freo's loss yesterday is Melbourne-esq though to be fair, and I think that's in their DNA forever now. Not even Paul Roos could fail to get that out.

Then we grabbed Naughton a pick late and it's a return policy.

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick 5 or pick 6, no difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pick 5 or pick 6, no difference.
    Perhaps, but the greatest tank of the decade yesterday makes it interesting. If GCS take compo for Lynch, then it's possibly pick 7. That in my gut, feels not a good enough pick for the year we've had. But I guess if tanking is in, we drop from 5 to 6, and then 7. We can't stop Freo tanking. But it's, if nothing else, interesting to see where we end up considering how close things are now.

Post Thanks / Like

My comment was a bit of tongue in cheek. Richmond will do what they need to do to get a win and we won't have the capacity to change events.
    They will open up a lead early and then keep the gap for the rest of the game unless we go to sleep and then it could get ugly.
    The Bont is hurting and we may rest him for the last game and send him for a clean up early.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    My comment was a bit of tongue in cheek. Richmond will do what they need to do to get a win and we won't have the capacity to change events.
    They will open up a lead early and then keep the gap for the rest of the game unless we go to sleep and then it could get ugly.
    The Bont is hurting and we may rest him for the last game and send him for a clean up early.
    I'd like Bont rested if we were managing his hip conservatively. I can see Cotchin & Martin etc targeting his hip.

Post Thanks / Like

That in my gut, feels not a good enough pick for the year we've had
    We're better than our W/L record suggests with our full team on the park
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff