Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Concussion by Liam Picken

Thought it would be useful to put this up and also discuss.

These are thoughts from Liam Picken on Twitter
    THREAD. Concussion is an extremely complex injury with so many unknowns. It’s also an injury that not many people really understand.

And because it’s an injury with symptoms less visible to others unlike breaking a leg etc, it’s hard for others to understand what you’re going through. In fact, it can be a lonely and dark road to travel.

Then a small minority don’t recover from concussion as quickly and have a longer road to recovery. Those people are usually diagnosed with post concussion syndrome, like me.

Symptoms of concussion can range significantly, not only from person to person, but from one person’s separate concussions. I’ve had a number of hits and concussions but I knew from the outset that this time was different.

Some of the symptoms that have impacted me have been light and noise sensitivity, noise ringing in my ears, vision, headaches, migraines, mental wellness, memory function and impaired balance.

Some of these I still have and others I’ve fully recovered from. I’m hoping it‘s any day now.

But one of the hardest aspects of post concussion syndrome is not knowing when you’ll get better. People still ask what’s going on with me or why I’m not playing yet. And although it’s been made clear to me that I’m on the road to full health, the timeline is unclear.

I’ve been so lucky that I’ve been guided through my experience by the best club, doctors and world leading experts. Knowing I’m in extremely qualified hands has made this journey less daunting and has accelerated my recovery.

I just want to encourage anyone that may have been hit, suffered concussion and doesn’t feel 100% to speak up and seek help. And hopefully my transparency has helped other’s that may be feeling alone in their journey.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Twodogs, N/A, Go_Dogs, josie, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Concussion by Liam Picken

Bevo today:

[Liam Picken] has been back in the main program for about a month, and he’s fit, but while he’s still indicating the symptoms then we’re not going to take a risk with him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently a return in 2018 is doubtful.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...13-p4zl5y.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Love him as a player and a role model. Along with West my fave player ever. Perhaps he is starting to seriously consider if he never returns as a player, ever. That’s what I am reading between the lines. What a hole if morris and picko retire however his long term health is more important than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope he gets a farewell game.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a huge Picko fan like most, and would love to see him back, but reluctantly believe that for Liam and his family that he would be wise to give it away.

I couldn’t bear to watch him get another serious head knock and possibly set him back further.

He owes us nothing having been so instrumental in getting us to the pinnacle that so many longed for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I’m a huge Picko fan like most, and would love to see him back, but reluctantly believe that for Liam and his family that he would be wise to give it away.

I couldn’t bear to watch him get another serious head knock and possibly set him back further.

He owes us nothing having been so instrumental in getting us to the pinnacle that so many longed for.
    Feel exactly the same. I had a chat to him at the VFL a couple of weeks back, we have some mutual friends so will always say g’day when we run into each other at the club, and he was pretty bright and upbeat which was great to see.

I understand the desire he has to get back to playing, but considering the great career he’s had, that he’s got a premiership and got the most out of himself - you would hope that he could live with that. As you say - he owes us nothing, and has made us all proud as supporters every time he has played, and still makes us proud with moments like how he has detailed his concussion during the week.
    He is well educated and will have numerous options outside of footy, and with a young family - he’s got a hell of a lot in front of him in life. So the big part of me hopes that he retires, but as long as he is relatively at peace with that. (The very small part of me thinks ‘well he’s only 31, and started at AFL level quite late...maybe there’s some great footy left in him....’).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everything Liam.

I implore you to put you and your family's best interests in front of any external expectation to play football again. All of us Western Bulldogs members and supporters, and the football public in general, owe you so much for what you have achieved in the game.

Your health and well-being is really all that matters.

I remember standing behind you at Pt. Gellibrand one day watching Williamstown play Box Hill and thinking that you have no right to do what you do on an AFL arena. Your courage and desire has never been questioned and it's those qualities and others that you possess that has endeared to the Red, White and Blue faithful.

Be proud in what you have achieved throughout your career because I am proud that you have been part of the Bulldog Breed.

Take care Liam.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

10. Thanks Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Thanks for everything Liam.

I implore you to put you and your family's best interests in front of any external expectation to play football again. All of us Western Bulldogs members and supporters, and the football public in general, owe you so much for what you have achieved in the game.

Your health and well-being is really all that matters.

Be proud in what you have achieved throughout your career because I am proud that you have been part of the Bulldog Breed.

Take care Liam.
    This deserves repeating. Thank you for putting it so eloquently craigsahibee - it is exactly how I feel about the situation.

Please, please, please Liam, put your long term health first.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    This deserves repeating. Thank you for putting it so eloquently craigsahibee - it is exactly how I feel about the situation.

Please, please, please Liam, put your long term health first.
    As devastating as it is that we probably won't be able to nurse him to 200 games, it is hard not to echo these sentiments.

We couldn't possibly ask any more than what Liam has already given us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As devastating as it is that we probably won't be able to nurse him to 200 games, it is hard not to echo these sentiments.

We couldn't possibly ask any more than what Liam has already given us.
    Just sit him on the bench. We are not missing Daniel’s 5 touches, HC’s garbage output or Biggs turnovers. At least 200 games would be something positive.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023