Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hawks, AFL in trial of on-field zones

Umpires are told what to do. Genuinely don't blame them for the rubbish decisions and change of focus from week to week. The ones that do umpire to the letter of the law are quickly thrown away if they don't listen to instructions for the week.

Actually if you notice there have really been no new umpires for the past few years, in VIC at least. All the main umpires are pushing 40 now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Agree with this. Congestion in the women’s game is worse than AFL - and yes, I understand there is an enormous gulf in skill level and fitness - but both the 16 a side and the last touch do nothing to enhance the game.
    The 16 would reduce the number of players by 4 which will have some impact. Although I am against change, 16 was in the Old VFA days, so it is part of traditional football.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The problem is, one person's conservative is another person's fascist!

What defines radical?

To me, there have been significant trials of 3-different rules:

1/. 16/side (AFLW). Zero impact.
    2/. Last touch (AFLW). Zero impact.
    3/. 3-2 'zone'. TAC Cup and National Champs since 2014. Impact.

Is a trial of that length of time enough to justify a trial in the pre-season next year?
    It would also help align the conditions potential draftees play under versus what they'll face at AFL level. There's so much guess work involved currently in projecting how a forward or defender will go when there's more players and less space to work in- particularly key forwards
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

4. Likes Topdog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking 'self interest', a restricted zone' can only be a good thing for Teams with capable key position forwards currently on their list. What would Schache's value have been in the 2017 trade period if this rule had been enacted to come in for the 2018 season? TBoyd's prospective value also looks a whole lot more attractive, even Redpath's. I'm thinking we're set-up perfectly for this change of rule. Bring it on.

6. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure the TAC Cup rule would translate well at AFL level. They don't tag either as a gentleman's agreement, but AFL coaches will do anything to get an advantage. You have to legislate changes carefully as opposed to the coaches following the spirit of the game, showing intent to return to your starting position is pretty vague
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I'm not sure the TAC Cup rule would translate well at AFL level. They don't tag either as a gentleman's agreement, but AFL coaches will do anything to get an advantage. You have to legislate changes carefully as opposed to the coaches following the spirit of the game, showing intent to return to your starting position is pretty vague
    Once again, I sound like a crackpot on this, but nothing will change until you actually provide an incentive for coaches to play offensively.

Penalise players, set up zones, do what you want. Until you incentivise and reward coaches for opening the game up and encouraging scoring, they will find a way to subvert every single rule change or game change implemented to limit scoring. Just like they have done over the last fifty years.

It boggles the mind that more people haven't realised this yet.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Once again, I sound like a crackpot on this, but nothing will change until you actually provide an incentive for coaches to play offensively.

Penalise players, set up zones, do what you want. Until you incentivise and reward coaches for opening the game up and encouraging scoring, they will find a way to subvert every single rule change or game change implemented to limit scoring. Just like they have done over the last fifty years.

It boggles the mind that more people haven't realised this yet.
    Yeah I'd be up for extra points for scoring 100 or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the "zone" concept is actually a good idea. I also think it see a re-emergence of tall players as being important rather than 16 mid and a couple of mobile tall blokes.

Part of the reason Boyd and Schache and the other once in a generation talls have struggled to dominate is to do with congestion and the lack of space. Terry Wallace's "Flood" has morphed into the zone defence concept and 36 guys around the pill. How frustrating is it when we set up with no one in front of the ball carrier? This will force that and teams whcih have good one on one players in their front half will benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the third man up rule.

Bring in a last disposal OOB rule (we basically have it now anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Bring in a last disposal OOB rule (we basically have it now anyway).
    Please no

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Please no
    I like the last disposal rule. I want the ball to be moving and limiting BTI's to when the ball is out 'off hands' would be more than enough for me.

Is it because you don't want it to change or because you just love watching BTI's?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the last disposal rule. I want the ball to be moving and limiting BTI's to when the ball is out 'off hands' would be more than enough for me.

Is it because you don't want it to change or because you just love watching BTI's?
    I like watching how teams set up at stoppages, and how the really good midfielders extract the footy and use handball skills to set up a burst of play. It's a wonderful part of our game, lost largely due to the mass of players congregated around stoppages.

I don't like umpires waiting for rucks to nominate and players to congregate in the excessive time it takes a throw in to occur.

If the 3:2 rule was implemented and the boundary throw ins didn't take forever to eventuate, might a happy medium be realised?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Thinking 'self interest', a restricted zone' can only be a good thing for Teams with capable key position forwards currently on their list. What would Schache's value have been in the 2017 trade period if this rule had been enacted to come in for the 2018 season? TBoyd's prospective value also looks a whole lot more attractive, even Redpath's. I'm thinking we're set-up perfectly for this change of rule. Bring it on.
    These were my thoughts exactly.

16. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I like watching how teams set up at stoppages, and how the really good midfielders extract the footy and use handball skills to set up a burst of play. It's a wonderful part of our game, lost largely due to the mass of players congregated around stoppages.

I don't like umpires waiting for rucks to nominate and players to congregate in the excessive time it takes a throw in to occur.
    Jeemak has answered one of the reasons why I don't like last touch rule, the other reason is I watched a bit of Women's footy the past two years and the last touch rule was so annoying. For example, when the ball is in the 50 metre arc and right near the point post and the ball goes out. The defending team then just clears the ball out of the 50mtre arc, after the attacking team worked hard to get the ball down there. Watch a game with last touch and you will see what I mean - it is very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watch a game with last touch and you will see what I mean - it is very frustrating.
    Last touch and last possession are not the same thing.

Ball goes out off hands? Throw it in. Ball is directly handballed or kicked out of bounds - opposition get the ball.

As for working hard to get the ball inside 50m only for it to be cleared out straight away...don't kick the thing out of bounds and that wont happen though right?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.