Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The BT Who To Root For Against Harry Taylor

Often, footy fans will point to something that they say resulted in their team playing finals, or not. Say, umpiring, a goal, etc. But that logic breaks when we know that the play would change, that in a missed goal, a kick out started the next play, and not a centre clearance. So it's not often easy to point to a single bit of play, like a shot at goal.

The only sure way to say with 100% certainty that a play, or a shot at goal missing led to missing or getting into finals is a shot after the siren. Well, Harry Taylor missed his shot after the siren against us and so denied the Geelong FC four premiership points. Shame really...

So now the Geelong sit out of the top 8 because of it with two games to play. So in the spirit of Harry Taylor, his team mates, Geelong FC and their fans focusing in on this point and Harry retiring knowing his choke against the WBFC is part of his legacy - I'd like to root this eventuality:

Geelong losing to Fremantle & GCS (unlikely)

So that gets them to 52 points.

So rooting:

Sydney winning at least two more games of their three left (so then this is the crucial root, 50/50 chance on Melb, GWS, Hawks)

Hawthorn winning at least one more games of their two left (probable Saints & Sydney)

Port winning at least two more games of their three left (possible/probable, Collingwood, Essendon)

Collingwood winning at least two of their three games left (probable, Freo, Port, Brisbane)

Melbourne winning at least one of their three games left (probable, Sydney, WCE, GWS)

North winning all of their last three games (including us, possible, Dogs, Adelaide, Saints - crucial root too now Port dropped the ball)

So if Sydney & North pull their root as above, or Geelong drop an easy game...

Then we can all send out Harry Taylor as he deserves to be, in my honest opinion.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 11-08-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes ratsmac, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The BT Who To Root For Against Harry Taylor

I've got no respect for Harry Taylor at all and I have no idea how anyone could. Ordinary footballer and a worse human being. So he played in some good teams and got carried to some flags? What's that matter when as soon as the team needs to rely on Harry he misses a soda and is personally responsible for his team losing to close to the worst team in the comp and missing the finals. That's a hell of a load to be carrying around.

You failed the character test Harry. Most AFL players would have been able to make that shot with their backs to the goal. Heh!Harry Taylor aye? The least deserving multiple premiership player in the history of the AFL.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes bulldogtragic, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in, I'm rooting
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately Port let us down, so this is the rooting assuming Geelong can beat up Freo & GCS:

Sydney winning at least two more games of their three left (Melb, GWS &/or Hawks)

Hawthorn winning at least one more games of their two left (Saints)

Port winning their two games left (Collingwood, Essendon)

Collingwood winning at least two of their three games left (Freo & Brisbane)

Melbourne winning at least one of their three games left (WCE &/or GWS)

North winning all of their last three games (Dogs, Adelaide, Saints)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Why the hate for Taylor?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why the hate for Taylor?
    Comments of a certain nature about our club to our players on field in the past. Worthy of a bit of hate in my book.

9. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Comments of a certain nature about our club to our players on field in the past. Worthy of a bit of hate in my book.
    and said sledging after the game finished.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and said sledging after the game finished.
    This in particular. Obviously I/we can't repeat everything, but posters can think back to a somewhat recent milestone game where a Geelong player had won down at Geelong. Our players were going to stand for a guard, but then didn't after Taylor continued to run his mouth about our club. So the things he said were clearly of a nature to aggrevate our players to walk away from him and consequently away from the guard area. Ergo, I'm rooting hard to see Geelong finish 9th and him being responsible for it.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 12-08-2018 at 11:29 AM.

13. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well considering we have won a flag since they last won one and he lost the game against us in their own back yard , with which we haven’t won in years and years, it’s totally backfired on him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

So it gets closer Harry Rooters:

Melbourne to win one out of their last two @WCE/GWS (good shot)
    Sydney to win one out of their last two @GWS/Hawks (good shot)
    Port must beat Collingwood MCG & @Essendon (because they dropped a winning situation this week) (Essendon, yes. Collingwood at the MCG probably hinges this entire root)

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of rooting. It's going to fill in basically the whole weekend. Still it's important I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

If Port, Sydney & Melbourne ain this week it’s as good as over. If Port lose, Geelong will likely scrape in. If there’s a god, that won’t happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they'll win both and get in on percentage, with Collingwood beating Port
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a root we can organise to completely maintain the status quo, which currently has Geelong, North and Essendon finishing 9th through 11th respectively? What a world it would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Is there a root we can organise to completely maintain the status quo, which currently has Geelong, North and Essendon finishing 9th through 11th respectively? What a world it would be.

We could start a petition to stop the home and away season now and go straight into the final series.