Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If Not Us, Then Who?

While the optimist in me is holding faith that we are playing at the ultimate 'rope a dope' and when we win the 2018 flag we need to have a storyline for Outsiders 2 (coming from 7th in the finals just won't cut it), there could be a chance that maybe this year is not our year.

So, if we don't win the flag who (out of the teams left who could make finals) would you most like to see/would vomit the least if they won the flag? Who would you least like to see win it?

The teams still in finals mix are: WC, Richmond, Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, North, Adelaide, Collingwood, Port, Hawks, GWS (maybe, if they win today).

I think I would like to see one of North, Port, or Melbourne win it. The first two have been in the "financial battler" category with us for a long time and Melbourne have been woeful for a long time. It sort of burns to say Port though (being a Centrals supporter in the SANFL).

I would least like to see Richmond (on the basis of smugness and I think they would claim some sort of superiority over our flag), WC (have always hated them, I am not sure why), Hawks (have been spoilt already), and Collingwood (Too many years of "big club" entitlement attitude).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If Not Us, Then Who?

Probably Melbourne as they haven't won one since 1964. Hate all the others. (hate Melbourne as well but less than the others)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most - Port (so I can just not give a stuff). I would say Melbourne, but I don't know what it is like to live in a world where Melbourne FC is a good team.

Least - GWS (can't stand them or anything about them) Richmond (so the world can start on another team for being a fluke). Collingwood because, well, they're Collingwood.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me who wins it tbh. As long as its a good finals series.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It doesn't bother me who wins it tbh. As long as its a good finals series.
    Agree with this. Close, hard finals are good watching. Last year's doesn't really have a stand out in my memory. It was probably because we weren't playing in any. I'd love to see a drawn final and extra time, and capture that pressure that extra time in soccer has going for it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Agree with this. Close, hard finals are good watching. Last year's doesn't really have a stand out in my memory. It was probably because we weren't playing in any. I'd love to see a drawn final and extra time, and capture that pressure that extra time in soccer has going for it.
    It was truly shithouse. The only close game, Port v West Coke, was a dud match. All other 8 matches were low scoring congestion-filled tackle-heavy dross.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

There was a drawn final last year wasn't there?

Port and West Coast. It was the only decent final.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It was truly shithouse. The only close game, Port v West Coke, was a dud match. All other 8 matches were low scoring congestion-filled tackle-heavy dross.
    Another shite final series may well cost the AFL huge coin at the next broadcast deal. This H&A year is not exactly going to plan.

The peasants are arming themselves with pitchforks and complaining about the style of play in games, ratings are plummeting, and a weekend of mostly one sided beltings wouldn't have helped the cause.

They will be praying that Collingwood make it (everyone's favourite villain and puller of big finals crowd numbers) and Port and Adelaide square off.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone but Richmond or GWS. They Richmond fans have been horrible to deal with since the win

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they just abandon the season after the home and away round. I don't want to see Melbourne win (what do their supporters identify with? The city of Melbourne? Casey? I suspect they follow Melbourne out of convenience, they like The MCG and are willing to follow a crap team out of convenience so *!*!*!*! 'em, they get nothing) I dint want to see GWS win because they are, well, GWS and, *!*!*!*! them too, I don't want them to have anything nice. Richmond have had more than enough premierships for the foreseeable future, *!*!*!*! Richmond and all who sail in her.

Maybe I could put up with Adelaide or Perth winning. After all most of their supporters live in Adelaide or Perth so they won't be offending me with their happiness after grand final night. And Adelaide have been contending on and off for the last few years. Yeah, Adelaide for me.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hopefully they just abandon the season after the home and away round. I don't want to see Melbourne win (what do their supporters identify with? The city of Melbourne? Casey? I suspect they follow Melbourne out of convenience, they like The MCG and are willing to follow a crap team out of convenience so *!*!*!*! 'em, they get nothing) I dint want to see GWS win because they are, well, GWS and, *!*!*!*! them too, I don't want them to have anything nice. Richmond have had more than enough premierships for the foreseeable future, *!*!*!*! Richmond and all who sail in her.

Maybe I could put up with Adelaide or Perth winning. After all most of their supporters live in Adelaide or Perth so they won't be offending me with their happiness after grand final night. And Adelaide have been contending on and off for the last few years. Yeah, Adelaide for me.
    Agree. Whenever we can't win the ultimate I always prefer an interstate team winning it. That way I don't have to see anyone else in Melbourne happy. It is mean but I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree. Whenever we can't win the ultimate I always prefer an interstate team winning it. That way I don't have to see anyone else in Melbourne happy. It is mean but I love it.

Yep, they are annoyingly happy for a couple of hours and then they rack off back home to celebrate and leave us to stew happily in our misery.

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond are ok for mine - their fans were better than I thought they'd be and frankly they deserve the flag this season if their form thus far continues.

I don't want Sydney to win - their organisation were a disgrace after they folded in the 2016 GF and I would love to see them continue coming up empty-handed year after year. Ditto Geelong and their cowardly decision to keep topping up with veterans at the expense of player development. Gary Ablett Jr is not a feel good story - he raped and pillaged Gold Coast to the tune of $1.9m a season and whinged about being stuck there. Collingwood are the filth historically (though I hate them less these days). Melbourne have an unlikeable coach and playing group. West Coke are far enough away to be a non-issue, though I historically don't like the club. Don't think anyone else can realistically win it - would not want to see GWS or Adelaide anywhere near a flag if they make a run.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Ablett Jr is not a feel good story - he raped and pillaged Gold Coast to the tune of $1.9m a season and whinged about being stuck there.
    I'm glad someone else sees it like that.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's not GWS I'm not really fussed. Bombres I'd hate to see win it but no chance of that happening in 2018 anyway.

I'd like to see Sydney make the GF and lose again though.