Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 13, 2018 - Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post

Honeychurch, Webb cannot kick and I think at seasons end we need to make some big decisions on them and a few others. JJ very down on form. Wallis at least took some marks up forward and kicked 2 goals. Do we retain Wally? Gowers 1.2 wasn't accurate tonight but been a shining light this year up forward.
    I am sorry, but Gowers has flattered to deceive. the 2 goals he missed were set shots inside 30m; the goal he kicked was a 65m drop punt on the run under pressure (a fabulous goal). Personally, I would sooner he kicks the 2 inside 30m every time - its team deflating.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 13, 2018 - Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I am sorry, but Gowers has flattered to deceive. the 2 goals he missed were set shots inside 30m; the goal he kicked was a 65m drop punt on the run under pressure (a fabulous goal). Personally, I would sooner he kicks the 2 inside 30m every time - its team deflating.
    The set shot miss from a slight angle was terrible, the other set shot was a lot harder.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Your hatred of Wood has no bounds.
    I dont hate him at all just have high expectations of him. I can understand why some younger players may have lost the hunger or lead astray after being a premiership player early in their careers but Wood is at his peak no excuse for mine. Roughead is similar age wise but lets be honest outside of the 4 finals games he has only ever been just a player. Easton though I reckon after 15/16 might have been nearly the second best defender in the game. Was an absolute weapon, now his is barley an AFL standard player. A captain needs to do more than tap players on the bum for encouragement, actions speak loader than words lets be honest. I think taking the pressure off him would free him up. On the other hand I reckon the Bont needs the captaincy now to go to the next level. Obviously the hip is a big issue but that second quarter last night when played in his natural position had leadership written all over it. Its time.

5. Likes azabob, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I don't think the Trengove signing was a bad one. He cost us no picks, a $400-$450k annual salary is only average and 3 years is fair enough for a 27 year old (26 when signed). It's hard to offer an interstate player with a family much less.

Given where our list is at, a versatile big man with leadership skills and 150 games experiece makes a lot of sense.

He was a b&f and leadership credentialled player at Port and played 21 games there in 2016 and then 19 of 20 (missed 1 injured) in 2017 before being dropped for the last couple when it was clear he was out the door.

I reckon he's been good for us overall and will play quite a few games for us. The way this season is playing out, we'd probably like 2 of him, 1 would be kpd and the other rucking.

A few were highly critical of his game last night. Dixon was good, but given Port pumped the ball in so regularly, kicked 132 points and had Dixon as the prime spearhead, his output of 11 possessions, 2 marks (1 contested) and 3 goals was hardly the thrashing of Trengove (14 possessions, 7 marks) some are making out.

Oh there is that word again versatile... We do have 2 versions of him, he twin is Roughead. Can play forward, ruck and back but none of them at a high standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I tend to agree and it is a worry. If his name wasn't Wallis, would we be as sympathetic towards him.
    Moot point, his name is Wallis and he has a legacy.

His first half was poor, uncharacteristically so, but he had a number of friends. Overall, he was our 4th or 5th best performing player last night based on Supercoach scores - http://live.fanfooty.com.au/game/201...-bulldogs.html

He is a better player than R Smith, Honeychurch, Webb, Gowers, Daniel, Dunkley. He is more versatile than most mids because he can play inside and he can go forward and kick goals.

Post Thanks / Like

The set shot miss from a slight angle was terrible, the other set shot was a lot harder.

Post Thanks / Like

Moot point, his name is Wallis and he has a legacy.

His first half was poor, uncharacteristically so, but he had a number of friends. Overall, he was our 4th or 5th best performing player last night based on Supercoach scores - http://live.fanfooty.com.au/game/201...-bulldogs.html

He is a better player than R Smith, Honeychurch, Webb, Gowers, Daniel, Dunkley. He is more versatile than most mids because he can play inside and he can go forward and kick goals.
    Yeah sure he’s versatile, but has he built up enough qualitative sheen to be a regular feature?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah sure he’s versatile, but has he built up enough qualitative sheen to be a regular feature?
    Gowers can ruck. Can Wallis?

You aren't truly versatile until you ruck.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right Fredi but the fact that in the first 8 rounds he was scoring in all those games counts for a lot. The misses also from HC and Webb from easy positions so frustrating,m. HC, Webb, R. Smith there spots on the list vulnerable and ripe for delisting. We really need to give Tommy Campbell a hit out and see what he can give us in the ruck an area that we need work in as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I thought I was the only one who didn't think Trengove was too bad.

He's a guy who will do anything for his teammates and there is nobody else we could have played that would have done the same job.

I assume Naughton will be back in next week to provide some chop-out and JJ gets sent back to provide some rebound that we desperately need.
    He played all game time. Bevo said he was superb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Gowers can ruck. Can Wallis?

You aren't truly versatile until you ruck.

In our system true versatility is rucking very badly. Keep persisting even though you are terrible at it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In our system true versatility is rucking very badly. Keep persisting even though you are terrible at it.
    We did pretty well wasting the entire preseason on playing Wood as a forward despite showing no ability only to throw it out the window in round 3 and put him back into a defense filled with kids he hadn't met in 6 months.

That was pretty versatile.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    When he was lining up for the first one, me and my girlfriend (who is only just becoming a follower) both turned to each other and said he was going to split the middle of the right hand side points. He of course managed to live up to expectations.

That an ostensible full forward can miss from straight in front with such predictability from 20m out is just depressing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -