Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs leadership group has 'let the team down': Johannisen

Maybe it's worth nominating the alternative leadership group from the outside. Surely it's more accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Hunter is definitely deserving. He constantly organises structure during a game.
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. We have a structure?

Post Thanks / Like

Internally he's considered an on field leader. He has a good awareness of positioning and his direction is fantastic. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah I know GVGJr. My concern is why didn't the club have a say? Is this how it is done every year or done by other clubs? The selections are appalling.
    As an outsider looking in it hasn't worked. Maybe it was worth a try but I'd be surprised if there isn't a different group next year
    The concern is that after an appalling 2017 season in terms of discipline, focus and attitude we've potentially allowed a popularity contest to select the leadership group. Everyone might be as happy as but results haven't measured up and the likes of Wood and JJ have had sub par seasons. Perhaps they can't handle the responsibility
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As an outsider looking in it hasn't worked. Maybe it was worth a try but I'd be surprised if there isn't a different group next year
    The concern is that after an appalling 2017 season in terms of discipline, focus and attitude we've potentially allowed a popularity contest to select the leadership group. Everyone might be as happy as but results haven't measured up and the likes of Wood and JJ have had sub par seasons. Perhaps they can't handle the responsibility
    Wood did lead our team in 2016 and deserves credit for that. Playing on of our better defenders as a forward certainly hasn't helped. Another dumb position change from our club but we'll save that for another topic. I'm comfortable with Wood being selected as Captain.

JJ? I can't see it, don't know why or how it happened. Even if he's played out of position or a natural he just doesn't cut it.

Some of the "Cool Kids" seem to get the nod here and we've got the tail wagging the dog once again.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Wood did lead our team in 2016 and deserves credit for that. Playing on of our better defenders as a forward certainly hasn't helped. Another dumb position change from our club but we'll save that for another topic. I'm comfortable with Wood being selected as Captain.

JJ? I can't see it, don't know why or how it happened. Even if he's played out of position or a natural he just doesn't cut it.

Some of the "Cool Kids" seem to get the nod here and we've got the tail wagging the dog once again.
    Wood should be cut some slack, given the losses of Morris MBoyd and Murphy from our defence plus the under performing JJ aand Biggs. Cordy has been our only experienced tall defender to do well and Williams Richards and Naughton will all be fine defenders.

8. Likes josie, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best leader we have had this year is Suckling and he is not even part of the leadership group. He is constantly giving direction down back to the young guys and despite him not being everyone's favorite he is certainly well respected by the players. I would expect him in the leadership group if he stays and doesn't go to the NFL.

10. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit............and maybe Jake Stringer is just like the worst person ever, totally unredeemable and 100% toxic. Just a dumb, lazy, selfish, bogan, arrogant boofhead. Maybe he is.

But I just couldn't believe with our almost canonised leadership group of Bob Murphy, Luke Beveridge, Easton Wood etc. That things were ever let to get to that point that this incredible talent was booted out the door.

I know it's old ground, but it is also an indicator that perhaps our leadership group maybe was nowhere near as good and noble and strong as we thought they were/are?

I still can't listen to or watch Essendon games. It just shits me so much

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much every club in the competition elects their own leadership group.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Have often thought (and often asked out loud) who are the leaders... It's a far bigger issue for mine than the W/L record.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from some poor games in last month I think hunter’s form has been ok incl on field leadership, Bonti not up to his normal stellar heights but not bad (and possibly carrying an injury). Jj in back half would be better than as a forward but agree he does not seem to be a leader type. Wood I feel was just starting to find on field form and with that his confidence as a leader and then suffered a long term injury (bugger). Red not sure-very hard to determine without inside knowledge and again he has a long term injury. When he is in pitch I think those around him walk a bit taller as he does try and stick up for others and has some mongrel factor.

Perhaps our nice guy no d***head policy means we weed out the some of those with a bit of character, swagger and leadership traits?

Omitting picken and morris due to age and injury status....Libba and Macrae strike me as on field leaders with their actions and consist form when they are not injured. And Bont. Wallis’s form not consistent enough imo (granted this is mostly due to that horrific broken leg). Suckling much better this year but he still does not stick enough tackles for mine to be in leadership group.

Here’s one from left field-Cordy??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That is what I thought as well
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Even when the playing group had a very poor season in terms of behaviour and attitude?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Even when the playing group had a very poor season in terms of behaviour and attitude?
    When you say playing group, it's not the whole 45 players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Apart from some poor games in last month I think hunter’s form has been ok incl on field leadership, Bonti not up to his normal stellar heights but not bad (and possibly carrying an injury). Jj in back half would be better than as a forward but agree he does not seem to be a leader type. Wood I feel was just starting to find on field form and with that his confidence as a leader and then suffered a long term injury (bugger). Red not sure-very hard to determine without inside knowledge and again he has a long term injury. When he is in pitch I think those around him walk a bit taller as he does try and stick up for others and has some mongrel factor.

Perhaps our nice guy no d***head policy means we weed out the some of those with a bit of character, swagger and leadership traits?

Omitting picken and morris due to age and injury status....Libba and Macrae strike me as on field leaders with their actions and consist form when they are not injured. And Bont. Wallis’s form not consistent enough imo (granted this is mostly due to that horrific broken leg). Suckling much better this year but he still does not stick enough tackles for mine to be in leadership group.

Here’s one from left field-Cordy??
    I also think with time that McLean will be a leader and agree with Cordy.