Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 5

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The possible 16th finish, or the word largely? We may finish 16th. And depends on how you define 'largely'.
    "Largely the same list" - we've had significant turnover especially in the back half.

At times we play only 1-2 of the defenders in the GF on our side, and even then one of them will play away from defence (often JJ, although Biggs in his few appearances this year has been thrown forward).

Our F50 of Boyd, Dickson Picken, Zaine, Stringer, McLean and Smith - Zaine has often moved back, Boyd into the ruck (when fit), Mclean into the middle, the others gone.

Bobt and Macrae have missed games, Libba the season, Roughy's been more out than in, Murphy and Matty Boyd retired, etc etc.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    "Largely the same list" - we've had significant turnover especially in the back half.

At times we play only 1-2 of the defenders in the GF on our side, and even then one of them will play away from defence (often JJ, although Biggs in his few appearances this year has been thrown forward).

Our F50 of Boyd, Dickson Picken, Zaine, Stringer, McLean and Smith - Zaine has often moved back, Boyd into the ruck (when fit), Mclean into the middle, the others gone.

Bobt and Macrae have missed games, Libba the season, Roughy's been more out than in, Murphy and Matty Boyd retired, etc etc.
    The team from the 2016 finals is very much largely still in tact. The fact we play them in alternate roles, in the reserves, or they aren't contributing doesn't make the list any less in tact.

Players who played in the 2016 finals who are still at the club;

Suckling
    Bont
    Dunkey
    Dahlhaus
    Hunter
    Wood
    Macrae
    Cordy
    McLean
    Boyd
    Roberts
    Roughead
    Libba
    Biggs
    Dickson
    Daniel
    Morris
    JJ
    Picken
    Jong

Out of the club is M Boyd, Stringer, and Hamling, unless I'm missing some?

Libba, Picken, Dickson, and Smith has missed chunks of footy but have also played regularly last season. Conversely we've added to that group Wallis, Williams, Richards, and Gowers who've all made contributions to the team.

The fact that a number of players have been played out of position and struggled, while others have gone backwards, and some haven't kicked on doesn't mean the list isn't the same list. Coaching, development, and injury management have been a massive failure in the past 2 years, along with some questionable commitment from a number of players.

The list IS largely the same, the output from the list is what's changed dramatically.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

3. Thanks bulldogtragic, boydogs, S Coast Simon, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay, but Grey sums up what I was going to respond. The list by and large is the same, but the positions of players, development, medical support, ability to motivate the players and coaching tactics seem off. So yep, I think the list is largely the same.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay, but Grey sums up what I was going to respond. The list by and large is the same, but the positions of players, development, medical support, ability to motivate the players and coaching tactics seem off. So yep, I think the list is largely the same.
    The list may be the same to a certain extent but we have been lucky to play 10 premiership players every week in the seniors due to injury and some poor form from guys like Roberts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The list may be the same to a certain extent but we have been lucky to play 10 premiership players every week in the seniors due to injury and some poor form from guys like Roberts.
    Sure, but I was asked if I was jesting about the list being largely the same. A specific question to me. That's what I answered. As Grey said, and what you've said, there's lots of issues but the list is largely the same.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Suckling
    Bont
    Dunkey
    Dahlhaus
    Hunter
    Wood
    Macrae
    Cordy
    McLean
    Boyd
    Roberts
    Roughead
    Libba
    Biggs
    Dickson
    Daniel
    Morris
    JJ
    Picken
    Jong
    Of that list of 20 players two didn't play in the GF, two have been out all year injured and Dickson has been unavailable most of the year, ditto Morris.

That means less than 70% of the GF side has been available to us in just over a season after the GF, That's a significant turnover even before we consider form and other injuries ruling players out. We've generally been playing a side that has had more than 50% turnover from the GF - less than half is not 'largely' in my book, but we can agree to disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Of that list of 20 players two didn't play in the GF, two have been out all year injured and Dickson has been unavailable most of the year, ditto Morris.

That means less than 70% of the GF side has been available to us in just over a season after the GF, That's a significant turnover even before we consider form and other injuries ruling players out. We've generally been playing a side that has had more than 50% turnover from the GF - less than half is not 'largely' in my book, but we can agree to disagree.
    That was the list of everyone who played in the finals series. I didn't mention the grand final. Suckling and Jong were selected when they were fit, so you can only assume they would've played in the GF if not injured.

Libba and Picken have missed this season but played most of last season and we finished 10th. Wallis and Murphy missed big chunks of the 2016 season and we covered them. Dickson has had ongoing injury issues but some of that has to come down to how we've managed him. We had injuries in 2016 and we have injuries in 2018, they cancel each other out.

Players playing reserves because we've either changed their roles to the point they don't know they're doing, found roles they couldn't perform and persisted with them, or have dropped off due to lack of motivation or lack of faith from the MC doesn't make them unavailable, it means we've failed in one area or another to the point that in 2 years players who could win a premiership now can't get a game in a team that's getting pumped most weeks.

The list is largely the same as 2016 that is a reality. That fact we're often only selecting 50% of the team at times is an indictment of what's gone on in the past 2 years, not a reflection of list changes.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

That was the list of everyone who played in the finals series. I didn't mention the grand final. Suckling and Jong were selected when they were fit, so you can only assume they would've played in the GF if not injured.

Libba and Picken have missed this season but played most of last season and we finished 10th. Wallis and Murphy missed big chunks of the 2016 season and we covered them. Dickson has had ongoing injury issues but some of that has to come down to how we've managed him. We had injuries in 2016 and we have injuries in 2018, they cancel each other out.

Players playing reserves because we've either changed their roles to the point they don't know they're doing, found roles they couldn't perform and persisted with them, or have dropped off due to lack of motivation or lack of faith from the MC doesn't make them unavailable, it means we've failed in one area or another to the point that in 2 years players who could win a premiership now can't get a game in a team that's getting pumped most weeks.

The list is largely the same as 2016 that is a reality. That fact we're often only selecting 50% of the team at times is an indictment of what's gone on in the past 2 years, not a reflection of list changes.
    There's a lot that gone wrong no doubt, but right now a fit Stringer, Murphy, M. Boyd, Hamling, Picken, Libba, Suckling etc would be playing for us.

To suggest 'largely the same list' implies that list changes have either no or minimal impact on our current fortunes which is not something I can agree with. We've brought in a bunch of kids to replace experience and as noted by many senior footballers, if you replace enough experience with enough inexperience you soon reach a critical mass that makes it much more difficult to compete.

The week before last we had Honeychurch and Porter as the only AFL listed midfielders playing VFL. The cupboard is bare and I absolutely believe that strengthening the list strengthens our AFL side.

10. Likes jeemak, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can beat Carlton but that will be it for the rest of the year. St Kilda will need to win 2 to go past us, so assuming they beat us, they'll need to find another win which won't be easy given they have some tough games to finish. Brisbane I'm pretty confident will finish in front of us. Gold Coast and Carlton are a shambles. So I'd assume we'll finish 15th or 16th with 6 wins and a % potentially below 70. Truly disgraceful from a team that won a premiership 2 seasons earlier.

Pick 3 or 4 will be little consolation.
    We need another rooting thread, unfortunately this time it is in reverse

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    We need another rooting thread, unfortunately this time it is in reverse

I don't even think that rooting is going to cheer me up.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The drop off has been hugely disappointing? But it’s a little simplistic to discount the constant long injury list .
    Added to losing Picken, Murphy, Boyd , Liberatore . There’s 1200 games gone , right there !
    The club deserves to be scrutinised, but that has been extenuating circumstances that have contributed .

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They’ve had sometimes nine or ten premiership players playing from week to week .
    We’re all p***ed off , but the constant negativity is making this site hard to read

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    They’ve had sometimes nine or ten premiership players playing from week to week .
    We’re all p***ed off , but the constant negativity is making this site hard to read
    I agree, the old negative nellies have come out firing.

BTW, I think we will finish with pick 4, and that is being realistic based on the players we have available
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. What is the specific 'constant' 'negativity' that makes the site hard to read? I actually wouldn't mind knowing. Are there trending topics, recurring themes, dissected issues that posters are using fact based opinions or thoughts/perceptions on which may differ to others, or are these posters just making blanket 'everyone's super shit' or 'pack your bags McBeveridge' type statements?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll bite. What is the specific 'constant' 'negativity' that makes the site hard to read? I actually wouldn't mind knowing. Are there trending topics, recurring themes, dissected issues that posters are using fact based opinions or thoughts/perceptions on which may differ to others, or are these posters just making blanket 'everyone's super shit' or 'pack your bags McBeveridge' type statements?
    For a start - players who come into our system or come off injury being branded as mistakes, wastes of a trade/list spots etc.
    Crozier being a prime example.