Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 7

Apparently the Eagles and Cats tried to use our pick 7 as part of a Tim Kelly trade:

It's understood the Eagles, together with Geelong, inquired at one stage about the Western Bulldogs' pick No.7, with the Cats then prepared to send their pick No.12 to the Dogs as part of an elaborate pick swap.

However, the Bulldogs soon ruled out any such deal and, barring an exceptional offer, will take pick No.7 to the NAB AFL Draft

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Apparently the Eagles and Cats tried to use our pick 7 as part of a Tim Kelly trade:
    Good, that sounds like a shithouse 'offer'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'd have liked to have seen the offer even if it was complicated

There is certainly a targeted player or two in the draft we have our focus on
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd have liked to have seen the offer even if it was complicated

There is certainly a targeted player or two in the draft we have our focus on
    Doesn't sound like we were prepared to give up 7 for Wingard either. We must really love someone in this draft that we are confident of landing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Doesn't sound like we were prepared to give up 7 for Wingard either. We must really love someone in this draft that we are confident of landing.
    Would an offer of 12 from Geelong and pick 20 from West Coast with us throwing pick 45 back be too far off the mark for pick 7 unless we have couple of players at 7 we really want?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would an offer of 12 from Geelong and pick 20 from West Coast with us throwing pick 45 back be too far off the mark for pick 7 unless we have couple of players at 7 we really want?
    I don't like it. From all reports, the top 7 of this draft (8 with Blakey) is a fair way ahead of the next group. Plus unless we can offload 20 for an established player, it's likely to be used on West.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Different era , recruiting has come a long way since that time.

Our last bunch first round picks are Stringer, Macrae, English, Richards, Naughton, Bontempelli with Boyd and Schache added to the list.

How many from that list would we swap for May? Stringer and Boyd post GF, that's all for me.
    I'd have to think very hard about trading Boyd too. I can't put my finger on why, I just feel bullish about him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'd have to think very hard about trading Boyd too. I can't put my finger on why, I just feel bullish about him.
    He looks a classic late bloomer. I'm thinking he'll be excellent in 2-3 years time but we carry the can for his development years and it's players like that which make you understand the Hawthorn route of trading mature talls in.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

So. Pick 7.
    I'm hoping both the King brothers are gone by the time our pick comes up, so the decision is out of our hands.
    Then, Smith or Rozee will probably be available at pick 7.

I'm so glad we're going into this draft with this pick.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a voice for boosting our midfield/forward options but I am surprised posters are still dismissing the King brothers, particularly after the trade period has ended.

We have 2 key forwards on our list (Boyd, Schache) and one of them plays ruck.

We have 2 young KPDs (Naughton, Cordy) and 1 unknown (Young). Morris has one year left, Roberts is depth at best - both likely gone at the end of 2019. You could also argue Cordy is actually a third tall.

Our midfield group is young, we're adding West and likely another 1-2 F/S options who can rotate through there over the next 1-2 years. BT would be more knowledgeable on our upcoming F/S options but I am sure a couple are mids?

I would almost argue that one of the King brothers is a priority.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No way Rozee gets to our pick.

It's simply B King or B Smith.

I'd prefer B Smith any day of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I have been a voice for boosting our midfield/forward options but I am surprised posters are still dismissing the King brothers, particularly after the trade period has ended.

We have 2 key forwards on our list (Boyd, Schache) and one of them plays ruck.

We have 2 young KPDs (Naughton, Cordy) and 1 unknown (Young). Morris has one year left, Roberts is depth at best - both likely gone at the end of 2019. You could also argue Cordy is actually a third tall.

Our midfield group is young, we're adding West and likely another 1-2 F/S options who can rotate through there over the next 1-2 years. BT would be more knowledgeable on our upcoming F/S options but I am sure a couple are mids?

I would almost argue that one of the King brothers is a priority.
    I've been trying to defend Ben King because for most years we have been crying out for that athletic and versatile tall.
    I get we are a bit light on for genuine midfielders and we have an abundance of flanker types that play in the middle but we just can't be upset if we added Ben King.
    Smith, Hately, Caldwell or King are probably all in the mix. Whoever we feel is the best will be okay with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone entertain trading next years first and pick 27 for Gold Coasts pick 6 so that we could land both King and Smith? Or am i looking through rose coloured glasses?

Post Thanks / Like

B King and his ability to play either end could work out well for us. The idea of knowing he can cover for whatever area of the ground players haven't developed in or where we have injuries or matchups haven't worked out is quite appealing. Also fits into Bevo's versatility mantra.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very happy with King or Smith - leaning more towards Smith because I think you're getting a rolled-gold jet versus a slightly more risky selection.

In saying that, I think our need for talls at either end just outstrips our needs for a mid, so I'm not complaining about an athletic 200cm kid who plays forward or back and is great below his knees.