Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 7

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I will not at all be unhappy with Ben King as I suspect Bailey Smith will be taken before pick 7.

However if Smith is somehow still sitting there at 7 and we don’t grab him with both hands I feel that we will have made a bad mistake, particularly for a side screaming out for an elite outside midfielder who can break lines.

If Walsh wasn’t in this draft, Smith may well be the number 1 selection this year. I’m betting he will go at GCS’s pick 6 unless he’s strongly strongly discouraged them not to pick him.

With that said happy to take Ben King at 7 as he will also be an invaluable key swingman.
    I think that is the right way to look at this, we know we should land a very good player and really it won't matter if it's Smith, Rozee, King, Caldwell or Clark because once we see them in a Bulldog jumper we will instinctively get behind them.

I remember some comments about the likely Naughton selection 12 months ago with the view that we didn't need another key defender because we already had enough of them. He quickly won us over though and is very much one of the first players we think of when suggesting our back 6 for 2019.

I enjoy reading how we all see this playing out for us and knowing that once a player is selected we will all get behind him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So after the BTC deslisting, is anyone else sensing Ben King is a fait accompli?

We are very light on for talls and our backup is no longer. King would give us great flexibility to rotate Trengove, Boyd and English through the ruck and other positions as the kid can play forward and back exceptionally well. It's a lot to ask a first year 202cm beanpole but unless we sign a state league ruck we've lost our backup options for talls in the forward half, back half and now the ruck,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So after the BTC deslisting, is anyone else sensing Ben King is a fait accompli?

We are very light on for talls and our backup is no longer. King would give us great flexibility to rotate Trengove, Boyd and English through the ruck and other positions as the kid can play forward and back exceptionally well. It's a lot to ask a first year 202cm beanpole but unless we sign a state league ruck we've lost our backup options for talls in the forward half, back half and now the ruck,
    I don't think Campbell would have played much next year anyway and I think our focus at pick 7 will simply be the best player. King makes sense for us though given he is a quality and versatile tall. I'm not sure how he would go in a rucking capacity because he lacks the muscle, size and even his endurance level but perhaps in time he could take a turn in the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think Campbell would have played much next year anyway and I think our focus at pick 7 will simply be the best player. King makes sense for us though given he is a quality and versatile tall. I'm not sure how he would go in a rucking capacity because he lacks the muscle, size and even his endurance level but perhaps in time he could take a turn in the ruck.
    I was more alluding to our list moves indicating we plan to take Ben rather than taking Ben to fill gaps on our list.....if that makes sense.

I wouldn't expect Ben to play ruck, but him being able to play forward and back gives Boyd and Trengove the capacity to play ruck relief for English but also allowing us to have tall coverage both up forward and in defence when those players have to chop out. It is interesting though as all of Boyd, Schache, Trengove, English and King are best 22 players on potential. Is that too tall? We do need state league talent as backup. It's going to be an interesting night come the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben King (and I do note our 'dud brother curse') might be our last chance at getting elite young tall talent until Jarrad Ugle-Hagen is available as an NGA selection in a couple of years.

We will be flush with FS & NGA selections in 2019 & 2020. The McPherson boy will be a large bodied mid at least, 190cm mid at age 16
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any vision of Caldwell yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably very little vision of Cadwell around publicly since he missed most of the year through injury.

Edit: Couldn't find any videos of him from last year either.

Post Thanks / Like

Some discussion with nightmare I had on twitter

Pick 7-
    Dogs will hope Bailey Smith falls to 7, if not, King is the best available and viewed as that last of the top tier. Caldwell/Clark would be the other likely considerations if this was the way the top 6 were to play out.
    Will GC pick the King Brothers:

With Gold Coast taking the x3 KPPs from the state leagues I suspect not, having been linked mostly to Lukosius and Rozee of late. Not out of the question though as they need so many they could take Lukosius and both King's if they really wanted.
    One trick with KPP recruitment is you'll have good KPPs available every year up the pointy end, so if you're projecting to stay down as Gold Coast do, if they're smart, they only take Lukosius and wait for another year until there is another KPP who is clear best available.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Some discussion with nightmare I had on twitter

Pick 7-

Will GC pick the King Brothers:
    Thanks for sharing that!

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p50hg7.html
    Hope this is not firewalled.
    Basically Gleeson is suggesting we will trade pick 7 because we are confident we'll still get Smith with a later pick.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p50hg7.html
    Hope this is not firewalled.
    Basically Gleeson is suggesting we will trade pick 7 because we are confident we'll still get Smith with a later pick.
    It's an interesting suggestion and there are positives and negatives in doing that.
    I guess if it worked it would be a great start to Powers career as a list manager.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's an interesting suggestion and there are positives and negatives in doing that.
    I guess if it worked it would be a great start to Powers career as a list manager.
    It would be a smash hit to trade down, get Smith and another top 20 prospect

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    It would be a smash hit to trade down, get Smith and another top 20 prospect
    It’d be a home run

However trading down and losing Smith/King/Caldwell would be like grounding out into a double play

18. Likes The Pie Man, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what would it take? 7 + 27 for 10 + 15? 11+ 19? 13+16? The further down we drop the first pick, the less likely the player we want will be there, especially if we drop below Geelong's pick at 12, so that probably rules out 13+16. Is 19 too high a risk of a bid on West? Seems less likely given he wasn't invited to the first night of the trade but if Richmond bid on him at 17, we'd probably have to take him.

Makes 10+15 seem the most likely but that's a big drop for Port in the 2nd pick. The only way they would do it is if they were desperate to get someone ahead of Adelaide that they didn't go for at pick 5.

20. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    So what would it take? 7 + 27 for 10 + 15? 11+ 19? 13+16? The further down we drop the first pick, the less likely the player we want will be there, especially if we drop below Geelong's pick at 12, so that probably rules out 13+16. Is 19 too high a risk of a bid on West? Seems less likely given he wasn't invited to the first night of the trade but if Richmond bid on him at 17, we'd probably have to take him.

Makes 10+15 seem the most likely but that's a big drop for Port in the 2nd pick. The only way they would do it is if they were desperate to get someone ahead of Adelaide that they didn't go for at pick 5.
    If there is to a be a trade down, I agree that 10 & 15 is the only really viable option for the risks you point out.

So we'd have to put up 7 & 27. And then I think some things need to fall:

A kid Port desperately wants is still there at pick 7. Hypothetically say Rozee.
    A three pick upgrade in the top 10 is big, but not huge.
    Our pick 27 is probably out to pick 30-31 with academy and FS selections (West, Blakey, Quaynor, Thomas etc).
    So they're dropping from pick 15 to pick 30-31 for that three pick upgrade. Not enough.
    But if the player available gets them talking, I've read a few times Port need heaps of draft points next year. Maybe we can offer up one of our two 2019 third rounders (either our natural, or the Hawks), or look at a 2019 pick swap that they think bridge the gap.

As a pure theoretical exercise, it'd be 7, 27 & 2019 3rd - for - 10 & 15.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

22. Likes GVGjr liked this post