Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 7

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Would anyone entertain trading next years first and pick 27 for Gold Coasts pick 6 so that we could land both King and Smith? Or am i looking through rose coloured glasses?
    I don't think the Suns would do it but it's worth considering.
    We might have some challenges getting West with pick 32 and 45 though but hey that would be 3 very solid additions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I have been a voice for boosting our midfield/forward options but I am surprised posters are still dismissing the King brothers, particularly after the trade period has ended.

We have 2 key forwards on our list (Boyd, Schache) and one of them plays ruck.

We have 2 young KPDs (Naughton, Cordy) and 1 unknown (Young). Morris has one year left, Roberts is depth at best - both likely gone at the end of 2019. You could also argue Cordy is actually a third tall.

Our midfield group is young, we're adding West and likely another 1-2 F/S options who can rotate through there over the next 1-2 years. BT would be more knowledgeable on our upcoming F/S options but I am sure a couple are mids?

I would almost argue that one of the King brothers is a priority.
    They’re mids. I think most of our NGAs for a while are primarily mids also. So if the boys go fairly high, we may not get a look at top 10 KPP for a while. Unless we finish bottom 5 again.

I’ve been reading that GCS want top picks next year. If both King boys are there at 6 & 7, I wonder if we’d like the set in a deal with GCS. It’s be hopefully a good retention strategy, fill out our KPP needs and then focus on mids the next couple of years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

This is something I heard to help us have a stronger position at the draft table. It all depends on how badly the Crows want to get early selections and it's reliant on not needing to go into deficit next year with getting West

We trade our prized pick 7 and pick 45 to the Crows for their pick 13 and 21. From a points perspective we give up 1,991 points for their 2,090 points. We might be able to squeeze them for their pick 16 but it's doubtful because they might be able to do something later with the Saints or Suns.

At the draft we pick the best player at pick 13 and at pick 21 we either take match a bid for West or take the next best player
    We match a bid for West at pick 27 which will probably push pick 32 back a couple of spots but essentially we are likely to get 2 picks before West and still have enough points to cover Khamis

Our picks would be 13, 21, 27, 32 (moving to 35) and 63. Essentially it's 2 live picks plus West and Khamis plus a speculative late selection.

It won't be popular but might be worth considering. It's a question about adding depth or a potential star player. That isn't always a clear position but I think that is what the above is challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is something I heard to help us have a stronger position at the draft table. It all depends on how badly the Crows want to get early selections and it's reliant on not needing to go into deficit next year with getting West

We trade our prized pick 7 and pick 45 to the Crows for their pick 13 and 21. From a points perspective we give up 1,991 points for their 2,090 points. We might be able to squeeze them for their pick 16 but it's doubtful because they might be able to do something later with the Saints or Suns.

At the draft we pick the best player at pick 13 and at pick 21 we either take match a bid for West or take the next best player
    We match a bid for West at pick 27 which will probably push pick 32 back a couple of spots but essentially we are likely to get 2 picks before West and still have enough points to cover Khamis

Our picks would be 13, 21, 27, 32 (moving to 35) and 63. Essentially it's 2 live picks plus West and Khamis plus a speculative late selection.

It won't be popular but might be worth considering. It's a question about adding depth or a potential star player. That isn't always a clear position but I think that is what the above is challenging.
    I'm not a fan of the above at all. 13 & 16 would make me look a bit harder, but probably pass. But since pick 7 isn't in draft point calculation for West, it's a moot point for an extra 100 points that are not applicable in our circumstances. At this point we only are looking at four draftees, so we'd have to use 32 on Khamis whether he was bid on before it or not.

What merits do you see in it G?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had a bit of a think over the whole B King vs B Smith thing.

It basically comes down to risk for me. I see King as a much larger risk. If it pays off, we have that generational talent. But if he just becomes another one of those tall serviceable types, I’ll be pretty annoyed. I think with Smith we know what we’re getting. A good solid 200 gamer who will take the game on and can kick a goal or two. King could be anything.

Where does everyone sit with their risk profiles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm not a fan of the above at all. 13 & 16 would make me look a bit harder, but probably pass. But since pick 7 isn't in draft point calculation for West, it's a moot point for an extra 100 points that are not applicable in our circumstances. At this point we only are looking at four draftees, so we'd have to use 32 on Khamis whether he was bid on before it or not.

What merits do you see in it G?
    Only that it helps manage any bids for West. I'm not sold either way

In the above scenario, we should get 2 very good players, match the bids for West and Khamis and we still might have room for another pick without having to go into deficit next year

As it stands if a pick comes for West at say #18 our position deteriorates quickly but we will come away with a very good player, West and Khamis and just a latish pick.

The other scenario might be that we keep the picks we have and happily go into deficit next year by adding West from a 2019 pick.
    That would be a strong hand by having 7, 27, 32, West and matching something for Khamis

Post Thanks / Like

In the above scenario, we should get 2 very good players, match the bids for West and Khamis and we still might have room for another pick without having to go into deficit next year

As it stands if a pick comes for West at say #18 our position deteriorates quickly but we will come away with a very good player, West and Khamis and just a latish pick.

The other scenario might be that we keep the picks we have and happily go into deficit next year by adding West from a 2019 pick.
    That would be a strong hand by having 7, 27, 32, West and matching something for Khamis
    I think we seem in a pretty good position right now, provided West goes 18-21.

7 is live
    27 is West
    32 is live (might drop to 35)
    45 & 63 is Khamis (assuming he comes after 32-35)

That's our four spots filled. All likely from the first & second rounds. That's a good draft night in my eyes. Any change would want to have a clear upside for me above and beyond above.

Post Thanks / Like

Must admit i'm having Scotty Clayton skinny flanker flashbacks when it comes to Rozee, haven't watched him play since the champs so i hope i'm wrong but i do have concerns.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Must admit i'm having Scotty Clayton skinny flanker flashbacks when it comes to Rozee, haven't watched him play since the champs so i hope i'm wrong but i do have concerns.
    I was also surprised how thin he was
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see west slipping past 20. Jason McCartney would know how much we rate him and GWS hold pick 19 which is a few spots after many draft watchers rate him.

I trade up to get to 13 & 16 but even then 16 is a risk.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t touch 7, use it on a gun player, hopefully Smith or Hately

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    At the combine he measured in at 184cm tall and 74kg, put just 4 or 5kg on him and he will be fine in fact he would be nearly the same height and weight as Ed Richards.

I don't think too many teams would be concerned about his weight. Mentioning as a Clayton pick is more concerning

Post Thanks / Like

If it came down to a King, which would we prefer?

Max looks a right footed Daniher. Seems as though he's limited to being key forward but I would suspect he'll take turns in the ruck. The ACL is always a concern.

Ben's versatility is impressive but would you rather a very good versatile player or a standout one position player?

Based on very little knowledge, Max appeals more for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't see west slipping past 20. Jason McCartney would know how much we rate him and GWS hold pick 19 which is a few spots after many draft watchers rate him.

I trade up to get to 13 & 16 but even then 16 is a risk.
    That's why I think 13 and 21 might work better for both clubs. Perhaps we could get a bonus sweetener as well

As it stands if GWS bid for West at 19# then pick 27 nearly covers it after the discount with pick 32 pushed back by a spot or two.
    If he goes at #16 though pick 32 moved to about 38 or 39 and we might then have to deal with a Khamis bid.
    Another level of risk.

Is pick 7, West and Khamis going to be enough for us?

Could we keep 7 and just go into deficit for West and use 27, 32 and 45 for players including Khamis?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    If it came down to a King, which would we prefer?

Max looks a right footed Daniher. Seems as though he's limited to being key forward but I would suspect he'll take turns in the ruck. The ACL is always a concern.

Ben's versatility is impressive but would you rather a very good versatile player or a standout one position player?

Based on very little knowledge, Max appeals more for mine.
    the ACL is a worry for mine