Likes Likes:  97
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 7

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Cal Twomey:

Western Bulldogs

Pick 7: Connor Rozee's brilliant form late in the season for North Adelaide at senior level saw him surge back up the draft order after a middling under-18 championships for South Australia. He can play in all three areas of the ground and excites with his mark and speed. He would add a unique element to the Dogs' forward half if still on the board at their pick.

Around the mark: Bailey Smith, Jye Caldwell, Jordan Clark
    I can't see us landing Rozee but would be very excited if we did.
    Smith, Caldwell and Clark being mentioned as around the mark but not one of the King brothers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I’d love to get Rozee, but no way does he get past Port if GC take Rankine
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I want Smith and I take it anyone who doesn't hasn't seen his amazing hair, which is somehow tough and classic at the same time and would make him a very on-brand pick for us (Roarke, Ed, Biggs, Libba, Bailey Williams on photo day, etc)
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I want Smith and I take it anyone who doesn't hasn't seen his amazing hair, which is somehow tough and classic at the same time and would make him a very on-brand pick for us (Roarke, Ed, Biggs, Libba, Bailey Williams on photo day, etc)
    Add Wallis as well
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considerably less keen on anyone that gets called a "loose unit".
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm considerably less keen on anyone that gets called a "loose unit".
    They're footballers - if they get caught even looking at a beer they're a "loose unit"

Post Thanks / Like

They're footballers - if they get caught even looking at a beer they're a "loose unit"
    You know exactly the type of character I'm talking about. Don't be obtuse.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The bloke who just won the Brownlow is the epitome of the death by a thousand cuts footballer. Scotty West was the same.

Those types are always required and always undervalued by the public due to the lack of flash. The fact Rhylee has some aerial tricks in his bag is also a big plus.

I'm excited to bring him in.
    Agree - you need those non-flashy footballers that grind out consistency to be a good team. Flashy players come in and out, both are valuable and win games in different ways.

I also agree that’s exactly why West will slip down the order - probably would have been higher another year. Clearly a ball magnet but there are a bunch of kids with great highlight packages this year. I guess time will tell whether we get a bargain, though personally I’m hoping he slips to pick 75. Not optimistic on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You know exactly the type of character I'm talking about. Don't be obtuse.
    Is there any available evidence to suggest anything of this nature about Smith?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any available evidence to suggest anything of this nature about Smith?
    Non at all. In fact he's quite the opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Non at all. In fact he's quite the opposite.
    It's been reported that he has an almost obsessive focus on football and keeping himself fit.
    There might be an argument that he doesn't have the same level of upside that other players might have due to him being so prepared now but for a team like ours that probably needs more players like this he must be a tempting prospect.

I like players like he, O'Halloran and Duursma that won't be distracted from the job at hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's been reported that he has an almost obsessive focus on football and keeping himself fit.
    There might be an argument that he doesn't have the same level of upside that other players might have due to him being so prepared now but for a team like ours that probably needs more players like this he must be a tempting prospect.

I like players like he, O'Halloran and Duursma that won't be distracted from the job at hand.
    A Devils advocate sort of post - but I guess the other angle on it that I worry about - is players with an obsessive attitude burning out mentally and not having enough balance in their lives. But I guess that is what the Q&A sessions at the combine are for - for clubs to make their own call on each player in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    A Devils advocate sort of post - but I guess the other angle on it that I worry about - is players with an obsessive attitude burning out mentally and not having enough balance in their lives. But I guess that is what the Q&A sessions at the combine are for - for clubs to make their own call on each player in this regard.
    Dale Morris is still going.
    Scott West / Daniel Cross were loved because of that attitude and the guy most of us have at the top of our dream trade list - Josh Kelly - is the same.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'd rather acknowledge that someone has that trait and put in some steps to manage it rather than back myself to lift the focus on some of the players. In other words it's probably not a bad problem to have and should be manageable.

You want players who are confident but not arrogant, focused but not obsessive, fit in well but not the life of the party and talented not limited but yes, that is what the interview process should hopefully identify.

It's exciting to have an early pick but we do have to nail it.

Post Thanks / Like

While I think our midfield badly needs to add some quality players like Bailey Smith I think the better selection at pick 7 would be Ben King if he is available. We just don't have the depth in key position players and we acan acquire good midfielders later in the draft whereas typically there are still plenty of good midfielders available

Pros
    He is a versatile tall capable of playing as a forward or more likely as a backman.
    He's very competitive when the ball is on the ground.
    He's very athletic being an elite sprinter over the 5, 10 and 20 mtr tests at the combine and he measured in at 202cm.

Cons
    He might take longer to become a senior player for us as many talls do.
    Goal kicking is good but inconsistent

There is plenty of scope for improvement and he should become a quality player.
    I won't be disappointed if we select Ben King