Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 7

I’d love to know where the club estimates Kellett, Liberatore & MacPhereon plus our NGA mids. Because if they’re any are first rounders then this year might be the last for a while to draft a top end KPP. This might be an interesting dynamic if King is considered as best available (or close enough).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’d love to know where the club estimates Kellett, Liberatore & MacPhereon plus our NGA mids. Because if they’re any are first rounders then this year might be the last for a while to draft a top end KPP. This might be an interesting dynamic if King is considered as best available (or close enough).
    And the 2019 draft more broadly. I can see us being guided by whether next year's first round looks tall or small.

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be unhappy with King. He's certainly got talent and rare athleticism for someone of his height. If both Smith and Rozee are off the board come our pick, i'd be happy with King. We've lost Roughead, Collins and Redpath as talls with no obvious replacement. Is that a signal of our intentions to draft Ben, who has the potential to play all 3 positions?

Although i don't think we can expect him to play predominately as a forward as we have Schache and should have Boyd down there. So it'd be as a defender (which is his primary position) with the ability to swing forward and play stints in the ruck. Classic Bevo player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I won't be unhappy with King. He's certainly got talent and rare athleticism for someone of his height. If both Smith and Rozee are off the board come our pick, i'd be happy with King. We've lost Roughead, Collins and Redpath as talls with no obvious replacement. Is that a signal of our intentions to draft Ben, who has the potential to play all 3 positions?

Although i don't think we can expect him to play predominately as a forward as we have Schache and should have Boyd down there. So it'd be as a defender (which is his primary position) with the ability to swing forward and play stints in the ruck. Classic Bevo player
    Completely agree. I'd be pretty happy to grab whichever of the super seven slip through and missing out on Wingard isn't the worst thing in the world.

Each of Smith, King or Rozee brings something that we need and look like they'll be pretty good AFL players. Combine that with West and Buku Khamis and we're looking at a really exciting crop of highly touted youngsters.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very happy with one of the Kings. If we can't have any of the highlight packages on wheels that players like Rozee or Smith provide I would be very happy with one of the Kings.

Do we take one of the Kings with half a mind to the future hoping the other brother wants to come back (after satisfying his initial contract of course ) and play with his brother? That might solve the dearth of key possie players in the next few drafts.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'd be very happy with one of the Kings. If we can't have any of the highlight packages on wheels that players like Rozee or Smith provide I would be very happy with one of the Kings.

Do we take one of the Kings with half a mind to the future hoping the other brother wants to come back (after satisfying his initial contract of course ) and play with his brother? That might solve the dearth of key possie players in the next few drafts.
    I think we will have the problem not the attraction. The Kings are big saints fans and from all reports the saints will look to take Max with pick 4

Post Thanks / Like

Good call on Ben King GVGJr.

He's not top of my list, but from a list management/balance perspective he does make quite a lot of sense for us. I'm sure he's one of the players we are looking at very closely because there seems to be a number of scenarios where he may be the one from the "top 7" that is available for our selection. His versatility would be a good asset, and we can balance his selection with West and another running player in the second round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think we will have the problem not the attraction. The Kings are big saints fans and from all reports the saints will look to take Max with pick 4
    I don't care how young he was. Anyone who cheered Nick Riewoldt goaling after halftime a decade ago in a prelim fails the quality person test.

They split the Wakelins when it suited them, so I'd be wary about romanticising being at Moorabbin with your brother.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Any idea how tall the boys are?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I think our midfield badly needs to add some quality players like Bailey Smith I think the better selection at pick 7 would be Ben King if he is available. We just don't have the depth in key position players and we acan acquire good midfielders later in the draft whereas typically there are still plenty of good midfielders available

Pros
    He is a versatile tall capable of playing as a forward or more likely as a backman.
    He's very competitive when the ball is on the ground.
    He's very athletic being an elite sprinter over the 5, 10 and 20 mtr tests at the combine and he measured in at 202cm.

Cons
    He might take longer to become a senior player for us as many talls do.
    Goal kicking is good but inconsistent

There is plenty of scope for improvement and he should become a quality player.
    I won't be disappointed if we select Ben King
    Any idea about his endurance?

Post Thanks / Like

Have read some well based intel on BF from an Eagles fan that we are really into Clark for pick #7.

Seen some highlights - very good kick. Anyone know anything about him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Any idea how tall the boys are?
    At the begining of the year:

Kellett 175cm
    Liberatore (u/k, but he's a mid)
    MacPherson 178cm (a year younger)

Sam Darcy 180cm+ (14 years old)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Any idea about his endurance?
    Not great but bigger players rarely have it
    His Yo Yo test was poor

Some of his sprint times
    5m 1.04 95%

10m 1.72 97%

20m 2.97 86%

The ranking % is very high for a player who is 202cm

I'll see if I can find his 2km time
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I will not at all be unhappy with Ben King as I suspect Bailey Smith will be taken before pick 7.

However if Smith is somehow still sitting there at 7 and we don’t grab him with both hands I feel that we will have made a bad mistake, particularly for a side screaming out for an elite outside midfielder who can break lines.

If Walsh wasn’t in this draft, Smith may well be the number 1 selection this year. I’m betting he will go at GCS’s pick 6 unless he’s strongly strongly discouraged them not to pick him.

With that said happy to take Ben King at 7 as he will also be an invaluable key swingman.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m fine with King as a pick but the obvious argument for Smith is that he adds to our enviable stash of Bailey’s
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

17. Likes Testekill, hujsh, Raw Toast liked this post