Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 7

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So are we rebuilding because the strong argument for Wingard was that we had enough emerging talent?

I think we can all agree that Pick 7 is going to be awesome for us. West should be as well but it could all drop off a bit after that if someone bids at pick 16# or so for West.

Should we consider going into deficit for West and just adding the best players at 7, 27 and 32 this year? Having 4 top 30's talent would be a great news story for the club and members.
    We are not in a rebuild. Carlton is in a rebuild, Brisbane are in a rebuild, Gold Coast are in a build )though the builder has absconded with all the building money and the building materials), The Hawks and Geelong are in denial.

We are in a list consolidation process - realignment of goals and personnel - we will play finals next year and we will be the team that no one wants to meet in the finals - Pick 7 will be a gun

2. Likes bornadog, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    I've asked him on his BF thread, will reply back here if he answers. He's usually pretty good at responding over there.
    Here's his reply. Doesn't really go into detail but more an overall picture.

180cm is still fine, it's just below average for a modern midfielder. It's one of those things where if he was 190cm, he'd be a clear top-10 choice and pushing up towards the top-five.

I view West overall as underrated. His U18 Champs were outstanding and his performances were of a near Bailey Smith level (which is saying something as I regard Smith as the best mid this year).

West don't have any glaring holes in his game. Good ball winner. Capable ball user. Moves fine and has a small burst of speed. Clubs likely are thinking - average height, probably lacking that something that really separates him.

In any case, I see him as a great value choice for the Dogs with a bid to come later than should be the case. I also see him develop himself into a best 22 player and a good 3rd option through the midfield.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic, GVGjr, hujsh, Smads57, boydogs, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Regarding West, how is height a weakness for a midfielder?
    At a guess, height means weight without having to be bulky, which most likely means being harder to knock off the ball. A 190cm player can play at 90kg and still be agile, a 180cm player who's 90kg is likely to be hampered by mobility.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

It’s ludicrous. Both Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith are 183cm and both are touted at the pointy end,
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Viney is 178cm and 87kg.

Don’t see his height hampering his effect in the midfield

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would say yes to this, it would set us up beautifully for the future.
    How big is the deficit and what impact if our first pick was around pick 6 again? Just trying to understand.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for arranging a response. Yep, he doesn't really go into detail of why height is an issue for West and on top of that he may well be right that West doesn't have that one thing that screams out for clubs to pick him over others.

He should be a solid addition for us and I hope we can add some good players around him and whoever we take at pick 7.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Caleb Daniel's height is his strength more than a weakness the way he plays. West's so called lack of height weakness is only relevant if height was needed for the position he plays.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading/watching/listening (can't remember which) the club's thought process when taking Caleb Daniel and part of was determining what position(s) he could play and within that discussion, they ruled him out as an inside midfielder due to his size, so clearly we have a minimum size requirement to play that role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    It’s ludicrous. Both Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith are 183cm and both are touted at the pointy end,
    The reason I see West going lower is less about height and more o do with hurt factor. He is a death by a thousand cuts type player. He won win a game off his own boot with a 10 minute burst in a quarter, but will be a big influence in wining a game over 4 quarters.

Compare him to the Bont who in 20 minutes of football can kick 4 goals and assist in another 4 - he physically can win a game virtually single handedly. The main reason is that he is a little one paced. Its not bad/just not what I would prize in a footballer, hence why I think he will go somewhere 15 to 20, maybe a little earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Dream scenario:
    Rozee and Smith are still available at 7. We warn Adelaide that unless they give us 8 and 13 for our 7 and 27 then we will take Rozee.
    They give us 8 and 13 and we take Smith. Then we get Hately at 13 just to rub extra Adelaide brand salt into their wounds.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 19-10-2018 at 04:04 AM.

14. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes S Coast Simon, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading/watching/listening (can't remember which) the club's thought process when taking Caleb Daniel and part of was determining what position(s) he could play and within that discussion, they ruled him out as an inside midfielder due to his size, so clearly we have a minimum size requirement to play that role.
    There’s mention of this in the book “A wink from the universe”.

Dalrymples entire ethos was best player available, not team needs. Apparantly Daniel was a pick bevo questioned and when challenged on it Bevo asked
    “where would he go if he was 10cm taller”
    Dalrymple: top 10
    Bevo: do it

Post Thanks / Like

Found a bit of it in an article linked from another post here https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...ing-in-the-AFL

Come draft time in 2014, they put his recruitment down to a science.

There was no question Daniel could play. Coming off an ankle injury, you don’t finish the national championships as the No. 1 ranked player averaging 172 SuperCoach points without ability.

Daniel’s numbers dwarfed the likes of Christian Petracca, Isaac Heeney and Angus Brayshaw and his form continued in 11 SANFL games for South Adelaide.

The Bulldogs knew from Daniel’s family tree he wouldn’t be getting any bigger.

So they examined what impact the lack of inches would have in the AFL.

If he was an inside midfielder or a marking player, he wouldn’t cut it. For that you need body size, and the Dogs were flush for that sort anyway.

But Daniel’s forte was uncontested ball and ground-level play.

And for that, size doesn’t matter. After 22 AFL games, 75 per cent of Daniel’s neat disposals have been in space.
    Blessed with little feet, Daniel boasts a quick change of direction which buys extra time to make those clever decisions.
    With the height hurdle cleared, Bulldog recruiters engaged some of their smartest football brains to see how he would fit into the gamestyle
    Basically they ruled out Daniel as an inside mid but saw him as a potential link man, which was cemented when he ran a 16.1 beep test at the combine.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    The reason I see West going lower is less about height and more o do with hurt factor. He is a death by a thousand cuts type player. He won win a game off his own boot with a 10 minute burst in a quarter, but will be a big influence in wining a game over 4 quarters.

Compare him to the Bont who in 20 minutes of football can kick 4 goals and assist in another 4 - he physically can win a game virtually single handedly. The main reason is that he is a little one paced. Its not bad/just not what I would prize in a footballer, hence why I think he will go somewhere 15 to 20, maybe a little earlier.
    The bloke who just won the Brownlow is the epitome of the death by a thousand cuts footballer. Scotty West was the same.

Those types are always required and always undervalued by the public due to the lack of flash. The fact Rhylee has some aerial tricks in his bag is also a big plus.

I'm excited to bring him in.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Cal Twomey:

Western Bulldogs

Pick 7: Connor Rozee's brilliant form late in the season for North Adelaide at senior level saw him surge back up the draft order after a middling under-18 championships for South Australia. He can play in all three areas of the ground and excites with his mark and speed. He would add a unique element to the Dogs' forward half if still on the board at their pick.

Around the mark: Bailey Smith, Jye Caldwell, Jordan Clark
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023