Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 5

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Just before trade period last year I asked a mate of mine who follows Port about Trengove. The first thing he said was "mate he has just gotten so slow by foot over the last 18 months.
    Well, I think Trengove has been a good addition to the club especially with young KPPs in the team like Naughton 18 yrs, Young 19, Collins 20, English 20. We saw how quickly Young slowed down and who knows what happens to Naughton in year two. These guys will be good, but need experience and maturity to contribute regularly.

By the time Trengove has finished his contract, ie in another two years, these guys will be in their 20's. This is what I call good list management, ie thinking about the future and who will replace who.

He started the year badly but has gradually improved.

Quiz - Who is the last player to take 11 marks in our backline? Trengove did against the Hawks and has had 9, a few 7s this season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Well, I think Trengove has been a good addition to the club especially with young KPPs in the team like Naughton 18 yrs, Young 19, Collins 20, English 20. We saw how quickly Young slowed down and who knows what happens to Naughton in year two. These guys will be good, but need experience and maturity to contribute regularly.

By the time Trengove has finished his contract, ie in another two years, these guys will be in their 20's. This is what I call good list management, ie thinking about the future and who will replace who.

Quiz - Who is the last player to take 11 marks in our backline? Trengove did against the Hawks and has had 9, a few 7s this season.
    I understand the need for senior heads around the club but how many do we need? Morris and Wood should be enough for the back half, whilst JJ is in the leadership group.

Not sure paying Trengove 5-600k for 4 years (or whatever it is) is worth it just for the sake of being a senior head in the rooms.

On field, we would get about the same from Roberts and as I said above I'd prefer we try to develop Collins to see if he's worth keeping or not.

As far as stats for marks, it means little unless they are all intercepts - which they weren't.

He seems like a nice guy and a good clubman but Trengove hasn't been a good selection and we have 3 more years of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Bevo all but said going forward Trengove would be the back up ruck option for English/Boyd combo.

I suggest from a list management perspective getting Trengove will allow us to be a little more creative this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I understand the need for senior heads around the club but how many do we need? Morris and Wood should be enough for the back half, whilst JJ is in the leadership group.
    Morris will managed a handful of games this year, ditto Wood, and JJ has played all over the paddock.

We're putting out the first or second youngest team each week, I certainly don't think we're avoiding our player development. When Roberts, Collins and Young were all available for one backline spot earlier this year we played Young ahead of the other two and TBH I really don't see it with Collins.
    Hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure paying Trengove 5-600k for 4 years (or whatever it is) is worth it just for the sake of being a senior head in the rooms.

On field, we would get about the same from Roberts and as I said above I'd prefer we try to develop Collins to see if he's worth keeping or not.

As far as stats for marks, it means little unless they are all intercepts - which they weren't.

He seems like a nice guy and a good clubman but Trengove hasn't been a good selection and we have 3 more years of him.
    TBB, sorry what I meant was not the leadership aspect (which he has), but rather a mature tall. None of Morris, Wood or JJ fit into that mold. I think Trengove is better than Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bevo all but said going forward Trengove would be the back up ruck option for English/Boyd combo.

I suggest from a list management perspective getting Trengove will allow us to be a little more creative this year.
    Thanks Moff I forgot about that.

I haven't seen too many VFL games this year, but Collins has a long way to go, but as TBB said, give him a go and see if he will make it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where you get those figures from. My understanding is Trengove is on ~$400-450kk per yr for 3 yrs. For a bits and parts big who can go ok in multiple roles, I'm ok with that. Trengove kills Roberts too IMO, perhaps some have forgotten how bad he was given he hasn't been good enough to get a game for nearly a yr.

Far worse list management decisions than Trengove in recent yrs.

8. Likes josie, Grantysghost, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean because we've got Trengove's cover in various parts of the ground we can be more wide ranging in the players we trade in and out?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 5? think we're a chance to get pick 2 the way we're going.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

11. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given GC are likely to get a compensation pick for Lynch, finishing below them would be worth quite a lot compared to normal. There's even the possibility that Carlton could get a priority pick but hopefully that'll never happen (although they're bad enough to warrant one). Not a fan of tanking or even playing people right out of position to achieve the same thing but the way we're playing, we just need to carry on the same way and 1-2 clubs will jump ahead of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Every week we pull someone out for the rest of the year. We're tanking hard and not looking like winning
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Every week we pull someone out for the rest of the year. We're tanking hard and not looking like winning
    I'm not sure we are tanking despite our results. There is a chance we might still win 2 or 3 games and it would be hard for all concerned to cop losses to the Saints and Blues. That would put a lot of pressure on Bevo. We are also in with a chance against North
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure we are tanking despite our results. There is a chance we might still win 2 or 3 games and it would be hard for all concerned to cop losses to the Saints and Blues. That would put a lot of pressure on Bevo. We are also in with a chance against North
    I agree, as sad as the predicament we are in is, we are not tanking.

I can't see us beating the Saints the way we are going. I see us beating Carlton (although it will be a struggle just like earlier this year) and that's about it. Unfortunately, with that one win, we're probably still more than likely to stay in our current ladder position as i can't see Gold Coast winning 3 (their poor %) more games or Brisbane or St Kilda winning 2 more games.

Here are the last 5 games:

Gold Coast: Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Brisbane, Geelong
    Brisbane: Geelong, North, Collingwood, Gold Coast, West Coast
    St Kilda: GWS, Bulldogs, Essendon, Hawthorn, North

Gold Coast win one possibly two games
    Brisbane are probably the best chance to leapfrog us with a win over Gold Coast and possibly North at home
    St Kilda, if they beat us, would also have to win one of those last 3 which is a possibility but unlikely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Do you mean because we've got Trengove's cover in various parts of the ground we can be more wide ranging in the players we trade in and out?
    Exactly - sadly, it also means keeping Roughy won't be a high priority because next year we'd be hoping English plays more games than in 2020 he'll be our no 1 ruckman with Boyd giving the chop outs.

Interestingly among the Barrett stuff Bevo mention Boyd being a KPF when he's 25. Seems Tom's development timeline is a long and winding one.

I guess that means we can afford to overlook the King brothers with pick 5? The last few weeks have shown we desperately need class in the middle and forward of the centre.

18. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Given GC are likely to get a compensation pick for Lynch, finishing below them would be worth quite a lot compared to normal. There's even the possibility that Carlton could get a priority pick but hopefully that'll never happen (although they're bad enough to warrant one). Not a fan of tanking or even playing people right out of position to achieve the same thing but the way we're playing, we just need to carry on the same way and 1-2 clubs will jump ahead of us.
    Scuttlebutt suggests Carlton won't apply for a priority pick but they'll be granted one at the end of the first round.

Post Thanks / Like

Scuttlebutt suggests Carlton won't apply for a priority pick but they'll be granted one at the end of the first round.
    No club should get a priority pick - EVER.