Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  97
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 5

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It does look like we hve pick 5, it will be pushed back a bit because of the Lynch compensation but its a strond hand for us after we struck gold with Naughton, Richards and Schache last year.

Great building blocks for us.
    And English the year before.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think our issue is talent. We've got 'it' in spades. We seemingly need to hire Mrs Kerrigan in the assistant coaching ranks, someone who knows what do with it.

It's Seasoning.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need more than a bit of salt on the lamb chops in the way of seasoning though.

More of a bouquet Garni.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A pacey mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think we need more than a bit of salt on the lamb chops in the way of seasoning though.

More of a bouquet Garni.
    we need a truckload of 'sizzle' on them chops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    A pacey mid.

Definitely pace and skill. and dangerous around goals.

A pacy skilled small forward/mid.

I think the perfect fit for us is Izak Rankine.
    Just have to hope he's there for our pick.

Post Thanks / Like

So when we beat Carlton this week by enough to jump Freo on %, does the thread get changed to pick 6, or pick 7 with Tom Lynch compo?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    So when we beat Carlton this week by enough to jump Freo on %, does the thread get changed to pick 6, or pick 7 with Tom Lynch compo?
    Maybe...

But then if Richmond beat us by more than Collingwood beat Freo by in the last round it might need to be changed back to pick 5, or maybe pick 6 if GCS take just the FA compo and not trade for him.

It's a bit too long of a thread title, no?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post

izak Rankine would be ideal! Him or Sam walsh are the only two I’m watching tbh for us. Unfortunately both Walsh (100%) and Rankine (85%) will both be gone by pick 6 or 7 if carton get priority pick which leaves us most likely w a king brother as “the best player available” and I really don’t think we need another tall forward ro come in and develop for the next 5 years.

id love to land a silky and quick outside mid or an explosive small forward, it just looks like this is a KPP draft for top 10 talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    izak Rankine would be ideal! Him or Sam walsh are the only two I’m watching tbh for us. Unfortunately both Walsh (100%) and Rankine (85%) will both be gone by pick 6 or 7 if carton get priority pick which leaves us most likely w a king brother as “the best player available” and I really don’t think we need another tall forward ro come in and develop for the next 5 years.

id love to land a silky and quick outside mid or an explosive small forward, it just looks like this is a KPP draft for top 10 talent.
    Any priority picks will be at the end of the first round, they won't affect our first pick.

On that note I can't believe that in addition to Carlton and Gold Coast there are rumours of St Kilda potentially getting a priority pick as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Technical question. What comes first at the end of the first round? FA compo or PPs?

That is to say, if we got free agency compo at end of first round, do we get pick 19 or do priorities come first and we get pick 22?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Technical question. What comes first at the end of the first round? FA compo or PPs?

That is to say, if we got free agency compo at end of first round, do we get pick 19 or do priorities come first and we get pick 22?
    Good question. The last priority pick was awarded to Brisbane in 2016, but there was no free agency compensation awarded at the end of the first round (second round compo was awarded), so that doesn't help.

My guess would be priority picks first, free agency compo second (both according to ladder position). But that's just a guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post

Season's not done yet. A late season bolter (a la Bont or Oliver) could shoot up the ranks, Smith is a highly rated 'pure' mid, Hately or RCD as big bodied mids who can play medium forward as well, Rozee and Curtis Taylor are forwards with genuine midfield scope (Taylor has slid as his transition to midfield hasn't quite been as smooth as hoped). Even O'Halloran who isn't posting huge numbers could surge late, best I50/assist player in the draft and is off the charts for leadership/character.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Good question. The last priority pick was awarded to Brisbane in 2016, but there was no free agency compensation awarded at the end of the first round (second round compo was awarded), so that doesn't help.

My guess would be priority picks first, free agency compo second (both according to ladder position). But that's just a guess.
    That’s my guess too. I couldn’t find drafts with both like you said. So if three get priorities, we could get shunted from 19 down to 22 and maybe a pick 24 into 28 if both Dahl & Wally got ok compo. That’s a huge draft points penalty to us for not mismanaging our club for many years. Doesn’t seem fair to both reward them (fine) but also hurt opposition clubs like ours having a draft points focus at the draft (not cool).

Post Thanks / Like

It's official, we want someone in the top six.

Bevo 'disappointed' if priority picks impact draft.

"We'll be pretty disappointed if these compensation picks come in before us in the draft, because our demographic as far as youth versus mature age isn't dissimilar," Beveridge said."

"We feel like our players are in an environment and program where they can really blossom and flourish, but we are where we are on the ladder and we're building again and who knows how far away that is."

"We're anticipating there will be an extra one between us and the first pick because of Lynch," Beveridge said."

"Other than that, I'd hope there's nothing fresh in there between us and Lynch. But that's up to the AFL, it'll all be well considered."

"We saw today, Carlton is a pretty young team and I think they would have been younger and less experienced than us, but they almost beat us."
    BORDERLINE FLYING