Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Another year for Moz - Can a case be made?

I think most thought this season might be it for the great man, but I'm starting to think another year might be possible, maybe even beneficial for him and the team. Here's why I'm in the yes category.

1. Yes he's had some injury concerns, but they're hardly in the 'old man' category, no hammie's or achilles.

2. Despite the extremely interrupted season, his game on the weekend, showed he'd not missed a beat. His strengths are still clearly his strength; compete, negate, and defensive awareness, and selflessness. Clearly traits and skills that not only stiffen us up, but also set a great learning opportunity for guys like Naughton, Young, Adams and Collins.

3. I see in Naughton some parallels with Moz. He's a competitive beast and another year of working along side Moz could only be beneficial.

4. Finally, the fire still burns. It was apparent in his interview on Fox last week that his desire to play is as strong as ever. Notwithstanding his 'The Secret' twaddle, he came across as someone who doesn't want his career to fizzle out in a mediocre side. His desire to set the standards in order to climb the mountain once more is an intangible that our very young group could harness to help coalesce their mindset and application.

Disclosure: I think Dale Morris might very well be the greatest human being to have ever lived. This may cloud my judgment...only in regards to his footballing future.. his status as greatest person ever is beyond contention.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another year for Moz - Can a case be made?

There is a case to be made about keeping him but we might need someone like Roberts who is contracted being traded and probably Collins being moved to a rookie list.

He needs to string some more games together this year before we can really answer this. We saw the way Matthew Boyd dropped off in his last season mainly due to injuries so as great as he is we would be taking a risk with Morris.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a Yes from me Moz is just crucial for our backline the way he helps younger players by just his sheer presence and he oozes leadership would have made a fantastic captain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm concerned he hasn't really been on the park for a year and a half, but that could also be a plus.
    His influence, direction and leadership cannot be overstated, so see how his knee pulls up at the end of the season and if ok give him another season.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, without hesitation, and as Captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was in the camp this could be Dale's last year but his presence in the team particular for our young defence coming through is great to have.

Agree with KT31 if his knee holds up why not. I hope we can keep him around the club in some capacity in the future once he does retire.

One of the best ever tackles in our history in the GF.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Wait and see for mine.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Give him a 5 year contract. Worth his weight in Gold

Post Thanks / Like

He is priceless. Irreplaceable.

It'd be great if he could play on, but time and tide waits for no man. Fortunately, he is more machine than man these days so maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

In his recent Fox Footy appearance, Moz says he just wants to play as long as possible, when his time is up at the Dogs, he'll play VFL, and then go back to Doutta Stars. He is incredible. Because he is so smart, reads the play so well, competes like no-one else and provides such leadership, he can still be a valuable player even as his physical capabilities drop off. At this stage, I'd be thinking he's a keep.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait until the last minute before deciding. Last year we had to effectively sack Cloke and pay him out. Let's how things are situated after the trade period, for the list, and to see how his body is post season. I think that's the safe course of action, not to mention what we do with Roberts &/or Collins, whether Adams can stay foot injury free for the next 8 games, and if Naughton may be a full forward (he looks like a very good one).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Wait until the last minute before deciding. Last year we had to effectively sack Cloke and pay him out. Let's how things are situated after the trade period, for the list, and to see how his body is post season. I think that's the safe course of action, not to mention what we do with Roberts &/or Collins, whether Adams can stay foot injury free for the next 8 games, and if Naughton may be a full forward (he looks like a very good one).
    That would be my position as well. Love to see him play on if he can.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - for what he brings off field as much as he brings on it.

He played finals with a fractured leg in 2009 and a fractured back in 2016. A kid walks into the club and is immediately confronted with just how much AFL football means to a teammate who does anything he can to help the club. That has to be a plus for the development of the draftees.

I think when people at the Demons talk about how much Cross brought to the club off field when he played there a couple of years, we have someone who can have the same training-track impact in Moz and given I think there will be heavy list turnover this year just having that character as part of the playing group will be huge for us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm visualising him playing on

Post Thanks / Like

www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

17. Thanks GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Rocket Science liked this post