Link

WHILE the Western Bulldogs have failed to meet expectations this year, mature-age rookie Billy Gowers has well and truly exceeded them.

The 22-year-old has played every game in his first season at Whitten Oval, kicking a goal in all but one game to lead the Bulldogs’ goal kicking with 18.13 from 13 games.

It is a remarkable transformation from a player who was cut from Carlton after two fruitless year’s on the rookie list, and who begun last year at Old Xaverian’s in the VAFA.

And it is a transformation that has won Gowers many admirers, including Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown, who lauded the forwards performance after he kicked three goals from 12 marks and 22 disposals — all career-highs — in Saturday night’s heartbreaking loss to North Melbourne.

“Billy Gowers was terrific. First time he has more than 20 disposals. He has had a really good year,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch on Monday night.

“He’s got a bit of mongrel about him; he has a real crack; he is a competitor.

“I liked him in the centre square because he is a good athlete. He is about six foot two but he moves really well. I’ve been really impressed by him.”

Luke Beveridge’s side might have lost their ninth game of the season on the weekend to remain in 14th spot, but it isn’t all doom and gloom in Footscray.

High draft picks Tom Boyd and Josh Schache showed some positive signs in attack, but it was another top-10 pick that excited former Melbourne skipper Garry Lyon.

“We’ve been screaming out for a key forward at the Western Bulldogs all year,” Lyon said.

“If this doesn’t look like a key forward moment to me, that’s Aaron Naughton, who in the first three rounds was as impressive as any of the first-year players (before he went down back and got injured).

“Sometimes you see one thing and that is hard to do — I love that — that is something worth persevering with.”

Saturday night was Naughton’s ninth game since the Western Bulldogs pounced at Pick 9 last November.