Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

He’s got a bit of mongrel about him’: Bulldogs rookie Billy Gowers is exceeding all expectations

Link

WHILE the Western Bulldogs have failed to meet expectations this year, mature-age rookie Billy Gowers has well and truly exceeded them.

The 22-year-old has played every game in his first season at Whitten Oval, kicking a goal in all but one game to lead the Bulldogs’ goal kicking with 18.13 from 13 games.

It is a remarkable transformation from a player who was cut from Carlton after two fruitless year’s on the rookie list, and who begun last year at Old Xaverian’s in the VAFA.

And it is a transformation that has won Gowers many admirers, including Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown, who lauded the forwards performance after he kicked three goals from 12 marks and 22 disposals — all career-highs — in Saturday night’s heartbreaking loss to North Melbourne.

“Billy Gowers was terrific. First time he has more than 20 disposals. He has had a really good year,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch on Monday night.

“He’s got a bit of mongrel about him; he has a real crack; he is a competitor.

“I liked him in the centre square because he is a good athlete. He is about six foot two but he moves really well. I’ve been really impressed by him.”

Luke Beveridge’s side might have lost their ninth game of the season on the weekend to remain in 14th spot, but it isn’t all doom and gloom in Footscray.

High draft picks Tom Boyd and Josh Schache showed some positive signs in attack, but it was another top-10 pick that excited former Melbourne skipper Garry Lyon.

“We’ve been screaming out for a key forward at the Western Bulldogs all year,” Lyon said.

“If this doesn’t look like a key forward moment to me, that’s Aaron Naughton, who in the first three rounds was as impressive as any of the first-year players (before he went down back and got injured).

“Sometimes you see one thing and that is hard to do — I love that — that is something worth persevering with.”

Saturday night was Naughton’s ninth game since the Western Bulldogs pounced at Pick 9 last November.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: He’s got a bit of mongrel about him’: Bulldogs rookie Billy Gowers is exceeding all expectations

Those facial expressions are priceless!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: He’s got a bit of mongrel about him’: Bulldogs rookie Billy Gowers is exceeding all expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Those facial expressions are priceless!
    Seriously. They couldn't find better pics than that? Schache looks like Beaker.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

It looks like he's got a mouthful of something he doesn't like the taste of. "Oh god this is awful, why did I scarfe so much of it at once? Next time I'm ordering the small size"

Post Thanks / Like

And the two photos make it look like Billy has found the time to have his hair lightened, or darkened, during the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Billy can get his fitness up over the preseason to start to take longer runs in the midfield next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Hopefully Billy can get his fitness up over the preseason to start to take longer runs in the midfield next year.
    Billy looks like a roaring bear in the photo , aBit like the altered beast video arcade game . Love the competitive beast in him . Hope he can turn into a permenant midfielder regular .

https://p.apk4fun.com/12/6a/88/com.s...t-featured.jpg

com.sega.alteredbeast-featured.jpg
    Last edited by macca; 29-06-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

His kicking was markedly better on Saturday night too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    His kicking was markedly better on Saturday night too.
    I sat slack jawed for a good minute after that first goal. We were always in for a good night after something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahahahaha! Legitimately.

Mate, I just spat coffee all over myself. Very funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I sat slack jawed for a good minute after that first goal. We were always in for a good night after something like that.
    That's what I thought too. We are a huge chance here.