Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 107 of 108 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for the update. He's a good player, I wouldn't have minded if we had a look at him.
    I was wondering if there was something off field that may have been putting clubs off, because I as you do rate him as a decent player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Sydney have reportedly met with Cam Sutcliffe and Jacob Townsend and have looked at Daniel Menzel.

I think Menzel could be suited to playing on the SCG.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I was wondering if there was something off field that may have been putting clubs off, because I as you do rate him as a decent player.
    From what I've read that shouldn't be the issue but you never know as I think he was squeezed onto a back flank role that didn't quite suit him. I like the fact that he is willing to go anywhere to further his career. Given he has a few years experience he could be a nice fit for us as we have a list that is young but also a high smattering of older players with just one or two years left.

It's probably doubtful but I hope we do at least consider him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Each year it irks me that the football public view the trade and drafting period on an individual transaction level rather than a strategic one. People talk about clubs being bent over or otherwise on individual deals, the media follows those themes or similar for the most part, and it's easy fodder for sites like this and those less washed than this.

I'm never going to a great extent defend the negotiation or strategic prowess of AFL football clubs and those who represent them, but, the arrogance of supporters with piecemeal and limited information who determine value of individual trades without understanding broader club list management strategy is making this time of the year far less enjoyable than it could be.

Multi-million dollar deals in the corporate world take a bloody long time to execute for the most part, that football clubs with largely insular sources of experience across their operatives can get the majority of them finalised in a short period of time either suggests that the people operating are really good, or the execution we see in the news in the month or so available to us is well planned and the contracts are fairly simple.

It's my view it's a mix of the latter two, without discounting the influence of the former. A lot of people watch Mad Men and Suits and think that's how corporate negotiation works. It doesn't, and nor does negotiation within the AFL industry. The people negotiating on the behalf of AFL clubs probably aren't the most savvy negotiators going around, but they're passionate and well informed - and this probably makes them dangerous enough to do it reasonably well and at least better than the rest of us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Each year it irks me that the football public view the trade and drafting period on an individual transaction level rather than a strategic one. People talk about clubs being bent over or otherwise on individual deals, the media follows those themes or similar for the most part, and it's easy fodder for sites like this and those less washed than this.

I'm never going to a great extent defend the negotiation or strategic prowess of AFL football clubs and those who represent them, but, the arrogance of supporters with piecemeal and limited information who determine value of individual trades without understanding broader club list management strategy is making this time of the year far less enjoyable than it could be.

Multi-million dollar deals in the corporate world take a bloody long time to execute for the most part, that football clubs with largely insular sources of experience across their operatives can get the majority of them finalised in a short period of time either suggests that the people operating are really good, or the execution we see in the news in the month or so available to us is well planned and the contracts are fairly simple.

It's my view it's a mix of the latter two, without discounting the influence of the former. A lot of people watch Mad Men and Suits and think that's how corporate negotiation works. It doesn't, and nor does negotiation within the AFL industry. The people negotiating on the behalf of AFL clubs probably aren't the most savvy negotiators going around, but they're passionate and well informed - and this probably makes them dangerous enough to do it reasonably well and at least better than the rest of us.
    Everybody hears the story of how Miller was negotiating a realesse from Sydney for John Longmire and somehow got Carey thrown in as steak knives to get the deal over the line and thinks that's how it's always done. If your club doesn't emerge from trade period with e shiniest toys then it's been a failure.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It would appear that Tom Sheridan will join GWS. Good addition for them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would appear that Tom Sheridan will join GWS. Good addition for them
    I know you've been all over him but I just don't see it - he's a nice size but not particularly athletic, not particularly well skilled and not fast. I don't see what elite traits he has that makes it seem he has the upside to contribute every week.

Plus I honestly don't think he's been quite the same since dropping that uncontested mark in the 2015 prelim.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I know you've been all over him but I just don't see it - he's a nice size but not particularly athletic, not particularly well skilled and not fast. I don't see what elite traits he has that makes it seem he has the upside to contribute every week.

Plus I honestly don't think he's been quite the same since dropping that uncontested mark in the 2015 prelim.
    For a team that was lacking players with experience like ours I think he would have been a reasonable addition. Not one that is going to change things but add some depth. He won't do a lot more for GWS but I think it's a solid addition.

I agree he wouldn't add much to a team with a lot of experienced players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Sounds like Biggsy.

Post Thanks / Like

Townsend has done a medical at GWS, his old club

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Bowen is reporting that

St Kilda is also bidding to claim Jordan Murdoch as a delisted free agent. Rival clubs think Gold Coast is still best placed to claim the former Cat, but he's still weighing up his future. Has a medical with the Suns today.

Post Thanks / Like

The Suns are putting together a squad reminiscent of the Dennis Pagan days at Carlton. This is not going to end well.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

14. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    The Suns are putting together a squad reminiscent of the Dennis Pagan days at Carlton. This is not going to end well.
    I was thinking Essendon the year half their list was banned
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    What choice do they have, after they so spectacularly messed up their initial list build? All they can really do now is continue to draft well, hold onto them (no easy task) and bring them all in together over the next 10 years. In the meantime get some older heads to do some of the heavy lifting and protect the kids in the short term.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    All they can really do now is continue to draft well, hold onto them (no easy task) and bring them all in together.
    This is where I think the mock drafts are going to be wrong. Gold Coast aren’t going to worry so much about talent. They are going select hard working over-achievers -you know, the kids who don’t seem good enough or athletic enough or whatever, but still have always found a way to get it done. They are going to set them achievable goals (not scoreboard based ‘cos over achievers are always good with self assessment and measuring incremental improvement and continually reference the “you’ve played 20 games, player x drafted ahead if you is still in the vfl...you’ve gone way past him now” and have a solid 3 year focus. Look for them to draft junior club captains and players with poor measurables (well, maybe 2km time trials beasts) and players who have overcome injury setback some in their teens. I think they have decided their ‘model’ player is Touk Miller and are going to see what a team with 22 players built in his image can do...

I don’t see the Rankine stuff with the Suns. Not at all. If you are talking SA kids, I think they will have Rozee in their sites.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Likes Dry Rot, Topdog liked this post