Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 104 of 108 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd take the punt on Menzel. 1 year contract with triggers for a 2nd.

Even with Dickson and Picken, neither are sure bets to play a lot of footy. Dickson is as injury prone as they come and is likely in his final year, whilst Picken is an unknown - will he even play?

Menzel would be comfortably in our top 25, so even if we have a few forward options - which IMO we don't and those that we do have question marks - I can't see why we wouldn't offer him a contract.
    If we accept that the output from Dickson and Picken in 2019 is somewhat uncertain then we still have the likes of Greene and Lynch as emerging mid sized forwards on top of the recently acquired Lloyd and Duryea. Duryea might be seen as a defender but if needed he is a proven small forward. We also have Gowers.

On talent and performance Menzel might have a few of them covered but the question to me is more around do we go for a short term solution or continue to develop some of those younger guys?

I think if we were a team that was already just in the 8 I'd be more positive about adding Menzel but there is a bit of a logjam for those mid forward roles. Competition for spots can be great for a club though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I look at Menzel in the rookie draft if still available; I wouldn't use one of our limited available main list positions.
    He probably could have stayed at Geelong if we wanted to accept a one year deal so he must be confident a club or two are interested.
    I'd be surprised if he would accept a rookie spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He probably could have stayed at Geelong if we wanted to accept a one year deal so he must be confident a club or two are interested.
    I'd be surprised if he would accept a rookie spot.
    Interesting comments by Rama (his manager). With five clubs talking to him you'd imagine he'd get at least a rookie spot somewhere.

I'v expressed reservations but the last DFA we picked up from Geelong worked out spectacularly well for us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting comments by Rama (his manager). With five clubs talking to him you'd imagine he'd get at least a rookie spot somewhere.

I'v expressed reservations but the last DFA we picked up from Geelong worked out spectacularly well for us.
    Would you add him to the main list or just consider as a rookie?

To me he is a main list player not one I'd have as a rookie. If you pick Menzel you would want him to play at least 18 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on, it has to be an emphatic no to Menzel.

Don't we have enough forward selection uncertainty with Picken, Dickson and Boyd? I'm sure our fitness staff would love another project.

Besides we've put our eggs in the Lloyd basket and I'm suddenly strangely thankful. Plus, maybe one or more of the kids can find a role in the space Menzel might otherwise occupy.
    Last edited by Rocket Science; 25-10-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we accept that the output from Dickson and Picken in 2019 is somewhat uncertain then we still have the likes of Greene and Lynch as emerging mid sized forwards on top of the recently acquired Lloyd and Duryea. Duryea might be seen as a defender but if needed he is a proven small forward. We also have Gowers.

On talent and performance Menzel might have a few of them covered but the question to me is more around do we go for a short term solution or continue to develop some of those younger guys?

I think if we were a team that was already just in the 8 I'd be more positive about adding Menzel but there is a bit of a logjam for those mid forward roles. Competition for spots can be great for a club though.
    As you mentioned GVG, competition for spots is only a good thing - as is depth.

Lynch and Greene have been far from convincing but they did show some signs. Not enough for me to think they can play close to a full season in the role, however. Lynch's only highlight forward was v Richmond as he was very quiet in the few games before that. I wonder if we are projecting him as a forward or back.

Duryea for me is a defender. I would be surprised if he played forward.

Lloyd will be forward/mid.

I do understand if we look elsewhere (ie. the draft) but Menzel has more talent than just about any of our other forwards, costs nothing and I'd rather punt on him than a kid we pick in the 60s+ (or Honeychurch, Webb or Porter) for the last list spot.

Post Thanks / Like

WCE seems like the perfect fit for Menzel as replacement for the now retired LeCras

9. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like Menzel if we hadn't already grabbed Lloyd (and I'd take Menzel over Lloyd if the two were on the table) but I'd pass now.

We need pace and pressure in that forward line – I'd be more inclined to look at Neade or grab one in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon Ralph seems to be reporting that both StKilda and us have declined the free agent services of Menzel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Come on, it has to be an emphatic no to Menzel.

Don't we have enough forward selection uncertainty with Picken, Dickson and Boyd? I'm sure our fitness staff would love another project.

Besides we've put our eggs in the Lloyd basket and I'm suddenly strangely thankful. Plus, maybe one or more of the kids can find a role in the space Menzel might otherwise occupy.
    I agree with this. With the current personnel, we will be ok for goal kickers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd take the punt on Menzel. 1 year contract with triggers for a 2nd.

Even with Dickson and Picken, neither are sure bets to play a lot of footy. Dickson is as injury prone as they come and is likely in his final year, whilst Picken is an unknown - will he even play?

Menzel would be comfortably in our top 25, so even if we have a few forward options - which IMO we don't and those that we do have question marks - I can't see why we wouldn't offer him a contract.
    I agree. Lets see what our Menzel like listed players returned this year - Picko? 0 games and no guarantee he will get back to anywhere near the player he was. DIcko 8 goals in 8 games. Is Menzel a bigger risk than what we have? Does he have more upside?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree with this. With the current personnel, we will be ok for point kickers.
    Edited for accuracy (or lack thereof)
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

COLLINGWOOD has completed a pick swap with Geelong to strengthen its chances of nabbing both Isaac Quaynor and Will Kelly in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

The Cats sent selections 59 and 60 to the Pies for No.51, delivering Collingwood 45 more points on the AFL Draft Value Index to match any bid on Quaynor and Kelly.

Quaynor looks a sure-fire first-round draft pick – likely anywhere from outside the top 10 to 18 – while Kelly, the son of 1990 premiership player Craig, is expected to be taken within the 15-25 range.

The Magpies now have picks 41, 44, 57, 59, 60 and 93, with Geelong preparing to take selections 12, 50, 51, 70 and 87 into the draft.

I wonder if a bid on Oscar Brownless might come back and bite Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

45 points? That sounds almost pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood was always likely to be touch and go with having to have a points deficit next year. So even just a little extra points wise is useful. Geelong might be expecting any bid for Brownless to come late in the draft. I wouldn't be expecting him to be bid on in the first 2 rounds, so it's possible 50 and 51 can be live for Geelong.