Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 103 of 108 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Some interest in Townsend, you'd have to be pretty sure he'd get back to that purple patch of 2017 though.

There was a rumour that we were looking at Bugg. Do. Not. Want.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzel and Townsend are the only two I’d look at

Post Thanks / Like

Menzel..............possibly worth a look.
    I'd probably take him over Lloyd actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Menzel..............possibly worth a look.
    I'd probably take him over Lloyd actually.
    The Age is saying that
    Lower-placed teams Carlton, Brisbane Lions and St Kilda have already ruled out recruiting Menzel as a delisted free agent. He can be picked up next week by any club free of draft cost.

The Saints had shown some interest in Menzel prior to the trade period but had clearly cooled on the idea.

Menzel might struggle from here
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame with Menzel. He has what we’re so lacking, small crafty forward who can kick goals but can you afford to bring in a player so wanting defensively.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the situation with Menzel one where everyone's focusing on what he can't do too much and not focusing on what he can?

He's a two goal a game forward, off his own boot, and averages almost an assist a game. I get his tackling numbers are poor and he apparently struggles to close space with people blaming his knees for that, but if you can get off the chain to kick two surely you can be quick enough or agile enough to stick three tackles a game.

Not sure I'm buying the physical limitation bit.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is the situation with Menzel one where everyone's focusing on what he can't do too much and not focusing on what he can?

He's a two goal a game forward, off his own boot, and averages almost an assist a game. I get his tackling numbers are poor and he apparently struggles to close space with people blaming his knees for that, but if you can get off the chain to kick two surely you can be quick enough or agile enough to stick three tackles a game.

I think there's a bit of wood for the trees with Menzel - too much focus on his inability to lock the ball inside 50 and create hypothetical opportunities to score and not enough on his actual tangible scoring.

I'm ambivalent to picking him up but he's clearly a better AFL player than the guys we have picked up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I want Menzel. He’d be an upgrade on Redpath.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I loved Xavier Ellis' take on Menzel's dumping on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/XaviEllis18/stat...78769507794944

"...shit even I lasted 10 years"

11. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I listened to his manager Adam Ramanaskus talk about him this morning and he made some compelling reasons why those 'what he can't do' numbers don't stack up. It was very much to do with the way Geelong wanted him to play as a deep forward.

There is no way that Menzel couldn't play in our side and he would probably be in the best 22 but the fact that we have committed to Lloyd and have Dickson and Picken coming back from injury interrupted years gives me the impression we don't have a spot for him.

Azabob and Happy Days makes good points that he would be an upgrade of the departing Redpath and probably better than both Duryea and Lloyd who we traded for.

He's more than good enough to still be in the AFL next year but I doubt it will be with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzel is a decent player but you need to basically consider him as a tall. Given that Schache is a statue once the ball hits the deck I’m not sure we can use him. That is assuming we are going to employ the same method of defending.

Post Thanks / Like

Five clubs showing interest in delisted Cat

DELISTED Cat Daniel Menzel could still be thrown an AFL lifeline with his manager confirming he has been in discussions with as many as five clubs.

After 73 games, 136 goals and four knee reconstructions, the talented forward was told by Geelong on Wednesday he would not be offered a new deal for 2019.

The 27-year-old had attracted interest from St Kilda during the free agency period, however the Saints cooled on the idea leaving the Cat in limbo.

Menzel started the year strongly, kicking 15 goals in the first five rounds.

But an adverse reaction to an injection for a groin injury, halted his momentum and he struggled to return, managing a further eight AFL games for the season.

"I've had some good conversations with clubs for the last eight weeks about Dan and how that could potentially look," Menzel's manager Adam Ramanauskas told RSN on Thursday morning.

"There's still discussions with probably five clubs at the moment of potential of him going there.

"The kicker in all this is his body and how that all is. He's had four knee reconstructions and his knee is absolutely fine. The groin issue that he had this year is now completely fine.

"If I was making a sales pitch to a club looking for that type of player, you'd be saying 'guys go and have a look at the first five games of the season when he was fully fit and was able to get up and back in that forward line'. That's the player that you're going to get with another full pre-season."

There has been wide criticism of the defensive side of Menzel's game with the forward averaging one tackle per game in 2018.

While Ramanauskas admitted Menzel's defensive stats didn't look good on paper, he insisted it was largely due to how the forward was instructed to play by Geelong coach Chris Scott.

"When I dug into it, he doesn't actually have a lot of opportunity to apply that pressure that others are able to do," Ramanauskas said.

"He's always played as the deepest forward, he was always played on the fat side of the ground when there was a stoppage inside forward 50. He was told not to go into that contest and apply pressure.

"If you look at his one-on-one wins, just this year alone it's on 42.5 per cent. That's the highest out of any general forward. He's contested marking inside forward 50 is ranked elite, he's marks on the lead inside forward 50 is ranked elite.

"So this is the point I’m making is that when you dig a little deeper, yes he’s an offensive player, we all understand that and see that. If he was presented with more opportunities to do [the defensive things in the game] then I think those numbers would be different."

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd take the punt on Menzel. 1 year contract with triggers for a 2nd.

Even with Dickson and Picken, neither are sure bets to play a lot of footy. Dickson is as injury prone as they come and is likely in his final year, whilst Picken is an unknown - will he even play?

Menzel would be comfortably in our top 25, so even if we have a few forward options - which IMO we don't and those that we do have question marks - I can't see why we wouldn't offer him a contract.

Post Thanks / Like

I look at Menzel in the rookie draft if still available; I wouldn't use one of our limited available main list positions.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I’d definitely be looking at him
    The positives outway any negatives