Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Looking at the draft order as it stands, I could definitely see Collingwood trying to make another deal, this time with North Melbourne, who have 5 picks from 47 to 58. Nth themselves do need points for Thomas and Scott though, so it might not be as easy to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood will have a massive deficit going into next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood have done a swap with Geelong for points

Post Thanks / Like

One observation during latest freak agency period is that we seem to be always the under bidder. Why do we seem to be the first one with a baseline offer, and then surprise surprise, we missed hot elite player(s) has decide to go to one of the mega clubs.

we missed out on Wingard, Impey and Hurley.

Impey has really improved this year.

I wonder if we may need to change tack for next year ?

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    One observation during latest freak agency period is that we seem to be always the under bidder. Why do we seem to be the first one with a baseline offer, and then surprise surprise, we missed hot elite player(s) has decide to go to one of the mega clubs.

we missed out on Wingard, Impey and Hurley.

Impey has really improved this year.

I wonder if we may need to change tack for next year ?
    It's a decent point. We're trade fluffers for the bigger clubs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's a decent point. We're trade fluffers for the bigger clubs.
    Maybe we don’t get hooked up in the media and public over rating players and only offer what we think they are really worth.
    Impey hasn’t done anything of note .
    Wingard will wait and see.
    Hurley would have been a good get but we have to compare the player we got instead of him (whoever it was ) before we can make a call.
    Give an example .. Stringer was noted as the huge recruit for essendon, they had to pay overs to get him, meanwhile we pick up Gowers who we paid minimum wage and get a pretty close replacement if not better in the long run.
    Media don’t pick those things up as it’s all about building up the so called “star”.
    I actually think we have an extremely good development team . We seem to get a lot of our Lower draft picks and rookies right.
    Of course we have the odd failure but I think the swans hawks and us are very good in the development area.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two average second round picks and a lower salary for Stringer is overs by Essendon?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I'm not sure about this.

Our strategy seems fine - we identified Wingard, targeted Wingard and made it clear to HIM that we wanted him. If you really think that we are just getting 'outbid' at the last minute by other clubs then how do you think it will work if we don't make them clearly aware that they are the object of our affection?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Two average second round picks and a lower salary for Stringer is overs by Essendon?
    You know that is not right as we had a plan at the time. We needed those picks to secure Schache and we also got Richards. So to me Stringer = Schache plus Richards.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not sure about this.

Our strategy seems fine - we identified Wingard, targeted Wingard and made it clear to HIM that we wanted him. If you really think that we are just getting 'outbid' at the last minute by other clubs then how do you think it will work if we don't make them clearly aware that they are the object of our affection?
    Correct.

Wingard was impressed with the Hawks other benefits, ie playing with other indigenous players, being coached by Clarkson and the pull of big games at the G.

Personally I don't care about trading in big names, good if you can get them, but we can also create them through drafting the right guys eg. The Bont, Macrae etc.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As I said said look at his output to the player who replaced him,(Gowers) half the wage, maybe even less and pretty much the same output. Who were the players we picked up in those second round picks ? So they were the bonus as Gowers was actually a rookie.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So to me Stringer = Schache plus Richards.
    Didn't we also lose a second rounder for this draft
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Didn't we also lose a second rounder for this draft
    Yeah we did. Which we then got back with Dahlhaus leaving. So it's basically Stringer + Dahlhaus = Schache + Richards.

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Yeah we did. Which we then got back with Dahlhaus leaving. So it's basically Stringer + Dahlhaus = Schache + Richards.
    I don't agree, because we would have lost Dahl anyway due to FA, so nothing to do with trading. We did lose the 2nd round from this year, which we could have used for another player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't agree, because we would have lost Dahl anyway due to FA, so nothing to do with trading. We did lose the 2nd round from this year, which we could have used for another player.
    That's true and arguably we also got back pick 40 in that deal, which went to Crozier but it's hard to put an unknown player in an upcoming draft as a comparison.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post