Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    That's true and arguably we also got back pick 40 in that deal, which went to Crozier but it's hard to put an unknown player in an upcoming draft as a comparison.
    A bit like the pick 11 that we traded and Carlton ended up with Curnow - who knows if we would have picked him if we didn't trade.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's another aspect of general trading which I hate and that is when people, especially those in the media, go on about a player being worth 2 first rounders with no consideration given to the rest of the trade and how much that can actually change the value of the player.

For example, this year when discussing the values of Shiel, Wingard, Beams, Hogan, Neale etc the two most common trades brought up were Lever and Gibbs from last year, both being described as being traded for 2 first rounders.

When you look at the actual trades and use the afl draft points value (which I know isn't perfect), then Gibbs ends up being worth picks 10 and 39, whilst Lever ends up being worth 10 and 51. (In both cases I kept the pick 10 as it was in the trade and then used the rest of the trade to determine the net position of the 2nd pick).

So both of them end up being a mid first rounder and an early/late third rounder respectively, which is very different from "2 first rounders"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    There's another aspect of general trading which I hate and that is when people, especially those in the media, go on about a player being worth 2 first rounders with no consideration given to the rest of the trade and how much that can actually change the value of the player.

For example, this year when discussing the values of Shiel, Wingard, Beams, Hogan, Neale etc the two most common trades brought up were Lever and Gibbs from last year, both being described as being traded for 2 first rounders.

When you look at the actual trades and use the afl draft points value (which I know isn't perfect), then Gibbs ends up being worth picks 10 and 39, whilst Lever ends up being worth 10 and 51. (In both cases I kept the pick 10 as it was in the trade and then used the rest of the trade to determine the net position of the 2nd pick).

So both of them end up being a mid first rounder and an early/late third rounder respectively, which is very different from "2 first rounders"
    Yeah it's often judged too simplistically.

Like the Stringer trade...........in the end it doesn't matter that Essendon 'won the trade' because we engineered the situation as best we could to get Schache and Ed Richards. Once we had a deal lined up with Brisbane, we could then go ahead with the trade to Essendon. (have to wash my hands after typing that). So in the end who cares if it was 2 first rounders or blah blah, we knew Brisbane would take the magic beans we got from Essendon (wash again)And in the end we came out of it with 2 really great young players.

We lost a once in generation talent (potentially), man I loved Jake so bad.......... but one who is dumb, lazy and self absorbed. I bet Royce Hart wasn't any of those things.
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 28-10-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post

Like the Stringer trade...........in the end it doesn't matter that Essendon 'won the trade' because we engineered the situation as best we could to get Schache and Edwards. Once we had a deal lined up with Brisbane, we could then go ahead with the trade to Essendon. (have to wash my hands after typing that). So in the end who cares if it was 2 first rounders or blah blah, we knew Brisbane would take the magic beans we got from Essendon (wash again)And in the end we came out of it with 2 really great young players.

We lost a once in generation talent (potentially), man I loved Jake so bad.......... but one who is dumb, lazy and self absorbed. I bet Royce Hart wasn't any of those things.
    Holy crap , Butch Edwards , Dancin ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post

Like the Stringer trade...........in the end it doesn't matter that Essendon 'won the trade' because we engineered the situation as best we could to get Schache and Edwards. Once we had a deal lined up with Brisbane, we could then go ahead with the trade to Essendon. (have to wash my hands after typing that). So in the end who cares if it was 2 first rounders or blah blah, we knew Brisbane would take the magic beans we got from Essendon (wash again)And in the end we came out of it with 2 really great young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post

Yeah I think DD might have meant Ed Richards.

But Butch could have been some player. Just another one we lost to the big clubs, if he had a knee that vaguely worked properly he would never had found his way to Whitten oval.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

WARNING: This post will take you to a dark hideous place from which you may never recover....

So, you now are no longer a Doggies fan. You are a Sainters fan.

Worse than that, you actually work for these fools. You are the list manager or the recruitment guy. You played a hand in getting star players like McCartin and Billings.

And now, in 2018 you hold pick #4 with live trading in the draft.

You've seen a fair bit of Max King doing rehab at the club. You like him - hell, he could almost be as good as McCartin.

But there are 3 allegedly star SA boys and you know the SA clubs want them and are willing to burn picks to get them.

What do you do?

If temporarily becoming a Sainter has caused you great distress, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

8. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn spell check.
    Yes, Ed Richards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Edited now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah I think DD might have meant Ed Richards.

But Butch could have been some player. Just another one we lost to the big clubs, if he had a knee that vaguely worked properly he would never had found his way to Whitten oval.
    Friend of mine is Butch sadly the knees still give him hell, golden staph the last few years.
    Great bloke but don’t get in a shout with him.
    He Was at Melton a long time then had a falling out,now at Darley, his son Captained Geelong vfl and his nephew Shane obree coached Geelong VFL , huge football family.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    WARNING: This post will take you to a dark hideous place from which you may never recover....

So, you now are no longer a Doggies fan. You are a Sainters fan.

Worse than that, you actually work for these fools. You are the list manager or the recruitment guy. You played a hand in getting star players like McCartin and Billings.

And now, in 2018 you hold pick #4 with live trading in the draft.

You've seen a fair bit of Max King doing rehab at the club. You like him - hell, he could almost be as good as McCartin.

But there are 3 allegedly star SA boys and you know the SA clubs want them and are willing to burn picks to get them.

What do you do?
    Given the state of the list:

I go to the Suns and ask about picks 6, 24 and 29. There is a fair chance I get one of the King boys anyway
    I also speak to Adelaide about picks 8 and 13 or 13, 16 and 21.

I don't think one player makes that much difference to the list and it's worth having the discussion to see if it can be turned into a lot more
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Given the state of the list:

I go to the Suns and ask about picks 6, 24 and 29. There is a fair chance I get one of the King boys anyway
    I also speak to Adelaide about picks 8 and 13 or 13, 16 and 21.

I don't think one player makes that much difference to the list and it's worth having the discussion to see if it can be turned into a lot more
    I would only do that if I can still get my hands on Max.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney have reportedly met with Cam Sutcliffe and Jacob Townsend and have looked at Daniel Menzel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Sydney have reportedly met with Cam Sutcliffe and Jacob Townsend and have looked at Daniel Menzel.
    It's a wide net they are spreading there.
    I'm surprised that no one appears to be looking at Tom Sheridan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a wide net they are spreading there.
    I'm surprised that no one appears to be looking at Tom Sheridan.
    GWS showing interest in Sheridan apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    GWS showing interest in Sheridan apparently.
    Thanks for the update. He's a good player, I wouldn't have minded if we had a look at him.