Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  485
Page 5 of 108 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I don't like coaches or any officials approaching contracted players during the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't like coaches or any officials approaching contracted players during the season.
    I respectfully disagree. Free agency and player contracts shouldn't be an elephant in the room. There is a time and place for mature discussions so long as all parties are open and ethical in their dealings and the player maintains his professionalism with his current club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Free agency and player contracts shouldn't be an elephant in the room. There is a time and place for mature discussions so long as all parties are open and ethical in their dealings and the player maintains his professionalism with his current club.
    During the season you should be concentrating on your own club and not be worrying about leaving and having thoughts that could effect your performance.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have heard a rumour connecting Richmond's Sam Lloyd to us.
    I guess with Clay Smith retired, Tory Dickson doubtful and Liam Picken in the balance career wise - there is an argument for a player of Lloyd's skillset.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I guess with Clay Smith retired, Tory Dickson doubtful and Liam Picken in the balance career wise - there is an argument for a player of Lloyd's skillset.
    Was discussed in the Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread a couple of weeks back.

Perfect replacement for Dickson if his body is cooked. Should be cheap and plays in the midfield at VFL level so some versatility as well.

Post Thanks / Like

During the season you should be concentrating on your own club and not be worrying about leaving and having thoughts that could effect your performance.
    Nah disagree. I'm not sure I'm keen for players to sign for clubs or make commitments in season, but certainly they should be able to make an informed decision about their future.

That means allowing them to meet prospective employers, to discuss what financial terms they could be looking at, and to give their partners time to find out how it affects them and their lives.

Besides, i hate the whole "you should be focusing on football" line. It's trotted out when people hit a form slump and people blame their hobbies or whatever else they might be thinking about. It's possible and probable that players are capable of performing to a high level and doing stuff outside of football, including contract talks.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Was discussed in the Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread a couple of weeks back.

Perfect replacement for Dickson if his body is cooked. Should be cheap and plays in the midfield at VFL level so some versatility as well.
    Has he got the same pace as Tori? Tori is very quick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Nah disagree. I'm not sure I'm keen for players to sign for clubs or make commitments in season, but certainly they should be able to make an informed decision about their future.

That means allowing them to meet prospective employers, to discuss what financial terms they could be looking at, and to give their partners time to find out how it affects them and their lives.

Besides, i hate the whole "you should be focusing on football" line. It's trotted out when people hit a form slump and people blame their hobbies or whatever else they might be thinking about. It's possible and probable that players are capable of performing to a high level and doing stuff outside of football, including contract talks.
    Here is another view:

Ban it! Tigers footy boss Neil Balme wants free agency talk off the table

Post Thanks / Like

Has he got the same pace as Tori? Tori is very quick?
    No, unfortunately I don't believe he is overly quick. Which is why I also think we need to pickup a small and quick pressure forward late in the ND or in the rookie draft where those types are often available.

Post Thanks / Like

To be quite frank a truly professional footballer wouldn't allow their performance to be affected by what they are doing next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    To be quite frank a truly professional footballer wouldn't allow their performance to be affected by what they are doing next year.
    It would play on your mind

Post Thanks / Like

If anything they would want to play better to increase their possibility of more money , longer contract or even just getting another contract.
    How many times do we see players have great years in the final year of contract ?
    Jones is an expert at it and look At Mitch Wallis.
    I think it's a huge factor in you playing better not worse.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It would actually play on your mind more if you weren't able to make an informed decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If anything they would want to play better to increase their possibility of more money , longer contract or even just getting another contract.
    How many times do we see players have great years in the final year of contract ?
    Jones is an expert at it and look At Mitch Wallis.
    I think it's a huge factor in you playing better not worse.

Exactly.

At the end of the day you're effectively advertising yourself to fellow suitors on game day.

Rugby League have players sign with rivals mid-season and play out their contracts with no issue. Association football has loans for players and a mid-season transfer window. In neither case does the sky fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Hope it's just that. A Rumour. Not a fan. Had to Google him a week or two back to find out who he was.

Just checked his Stats. 28 years old, 55 games since 2014. No idea how many he's missed through injury, but based on that it's a massive NO from me.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]