Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
I love his passion and his want to remain, but all things being equal with a some what healthy list he is very much a borderline best 22 player and I don't think that we want players of his age to be in that position.
I disagree. If he's borderline its because he hasn't been able to settle into a role. Up until he broke his leg in 2016 he was best 22 easily. I think its taken him time to get over that injury. He offers an in and under inside mid, who can get to repeat contests and affect them, as well as a mid who has the footy smarts to go forward and kick a goal. Who else can do that?

Libba - yes, but he had an ordinary 2017 and is injured in 2018, so his ability to impact next year is uncertain;
Jong - has Wallis covered for pace and is probably a better mark, but smarts? Ability to impact multiple contests?
Hunter - completely different player. He is a linking player who carries the ball
Macrae - beats Wallis on just about everything except his ability to go forward and kick a goal.
Dahlhaus - shades Wallis on the contested ball winning and impacting multiple contests, but is exposed in the middle because of his poor kicking. Isn't as effective near goal

Wallis is not a flashy player. Yes his disposal is not always fantastic, but his repeat efforts and his ability to impact the scoreboard make him a valuable member of the team. There are better players skillwise, but not many can affect a game the way he does.