Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wallis: "I'm certain I want to stay at the Bulldogs"

I love his passion and his want to remain, but all things being equal with a some what healthy list he is very much a borderline best 22 player and I don't think that we want players of his age to be in that position.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this helps, but at the VFL game on Saturday, Wally was with his family watching his brother Josh play. Sam Power was also at the game and there was no evidence of any 'hard feelings' between Power and the Wallis family when they greeted each other.

Having said that, maybe I am reading the situation in a biased way as I also want Wally to stay....
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I love his passion and his want to remain, but all things being equal with a some what healthy list he is very much a borderline best 22 player and I don't think that we want players of his age to be in that position.
    Even if we accept that he is somewhere between 17 and 24 in the pecking order the fact that his attitude is first rate and knowing that there will always be some challenges with injury and form I think with others that makes him a very valuable player for the club.

If he is prepared to fight for his position then it's worth keeping him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Even if we accept that he is somewhere between 17 and 24 in the pecking order the fact that his attitude is first rate and knowing that there will always be some challenges with injury and form I think with others that makes him a very valuable player for the club.

Agreed. His passion and professionalism on the track won't go astray either.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

He's absolutely required. Even if he isn't best 22 (I think he is), we need more than 22 players. I'd be gutted if he left.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that view, but does the distraction created by the media every time he's not in the seniors counterbalance those benefits? If by some miracle with have the majority of the list available next season, and Mitch is playing VFL, do we get the usual public speculation that he wants a trade or there's unrest amongst the footy department because Wallis can't get a game?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I agree with that view, but does the distraction created by the media every time he's not in the seniors counterbalance those benefits? If by some miracle with have the majority of the list available next season, and Mitch is playing VFL, do we get the usual public speculation that he wants a trade or there's unrest amongst the footy department because Wallis can't get a game?
    Surely it is a sign of a strong list if there are experienced players, who aren`t getting games.

We do need players who can step up all the time.

If Mitch Wallis is prepared to fight for his position and perform at VFL level when not selected, everything else is just noise.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair point Grey, but we would also run the same argument for Morris.
    I think the form line for Wallis can improve and perhaps a slightly different role might help him as well.

If there is a bit of media speculation about his role, lets just cop it. It's only an issue if he falls short of the mark and I'd back him to adjust
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Mitch can develop as a small forward. He does alright when resting down there and is a reasonable shot at goal. Maybe not quick but he is smart and can win in close.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

He has qualities a few of our players don't eg reliable kick and great vision , will spot players up in the forward line, if not he is hanging around trying to make an option.
    And of course he is the heart and soul of this club.
    He won't be going anywhere .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point Grey, but we would also run the same argument for Morris.
    I think the form line for Wallis can improve and perhaps a slightly different role might help him as well.

If there is a bit of media speculation about his role, lets just cop it. It's only an issue if he falls short of the mark and I'd back him to adjust
    Dale Morris turns 36 at the end of the year. He's been a champion and if he plays on and ends up in the VFL it's just a case of having played 1 year too many. The same thing happened with M Boyd and it was no big deal, especially if the player themselves handle it with grace.

Mitch Wallis will be 26 at the end of this season and coming into his prime. If he's not playing seniors it'll be a talking point. Given the way the club handles public narratives it'll be an unwelcome distraction. I'm happy to keep Wallis at the club and I think he has a bit more to offer than the MC seems to think, but wanted to point out it's not all upside keeping him.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris turns 36 at the end of the year. He's been a champion and if he plays on and ends up in the VFL it's just a case of having played 1 year too many. The same thing happened with M Boyd and it was no big deal, especially if the player themselves handle it with grace.

Mitch Wallis will be 26 at the end of this season and coming into his prime. If he's not playing seniors it'll be a talking point. Given the way the club handles public narratives it'll be an unwelcome distraction. I'm happy to keep Wallis at the club and I think he has a bit more to offer than the MC seems to think, but wanted to point out it's not all upside keeping him.
    I'd be disappointed if we compromised list management because of an inability to handle the particular situation you mention. If he's retained, but bumped down the pecking order because of the quality of the competition on the list then it shouldn't be too difficult to sell that message as a positive for the club.

If he wants to move elsewhere early in his contract term then we hold the whip hand, and we're in no worse a position than we are now from a bargaining perspective given EFC is apparently after his currently un-contracted signature.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Hope Wally stays. Not sure hes a best 22 player if everyone is fit though.
    He certainly has challengers for his spot but given our injury list over the past three years I think the chances of everyone being fit are slim, especially considering we are really struggling for running players this weekend.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Morris is a different case to most though - he could add value to the list without playing much senior football simply because he is such a driver of training standards and can play as a virtual on field coach. Given he played a final with a broken leg and the grand final with a broken back he gets to make the call this year at least and I'd give him another year.

Wallis is a running player at an age we are in short supply of. I'd prefer we keep him although I thought he was gone a few weeks ago when all the rumours surfaced of larger offers from rival clubs and the Essendon link via his dad.

Personally I thought Melbourne started to turn things around the minute Daniel Cross arrived there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Morris is a different case to most though - he could add value to the list without playing much senior football simply because he is such a driver of training standards and can play as a virtual on field coach. Given he played a final with a broken leg and the grand final with a broken back he gets to make the call this year at least and I'd give him another year.

Wallis is a running player at an age we are in short supply of. I'd prefer we keep him although I thought he was gone a few weeks ago when all the rumours surfaced of larger offers from rival clubs and the Essendon link via his dad.

Personally I thought Melbourne started to turn things around the minute Daniel Cross arrived there.
    Roos said exactly that too.

20. Likes Mofra liked this post