Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wallis: "I'm certain I want to stay at the Bulldogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I love his passion and his want to remain, but all things being equal with a some what healthy list he is very much a borderline best 22 player and I don't think that we want players of his age to be in that position.
    I disagree. If he's borderline its because he hasn't been able to settle into a role. Up until he broke his leg in 2016 he was best 22 easily. I think its taken him time to get over that injury. He offers an in and under inside mid, who can get to repeat contests and affect them, as well as a mid who has the footy smarts to go forward and kick a goal. Who else can do that?

Libba - yes, but he had an ordinary 2017 and is injured in 2018, so his ability to impact next year is uncertain;
    Jong - has Wallis covered for pace and is probably a better mark, but smarts? Ability to impact multiple contests?
    Hunter - completely different player. He is a linking player who carries the ball
    Macrae - beats Wallis on just about everything except his ability to go forward and kick a goal.
    Dahlhaus - shades Wallis on the contested ball winning and impacting multiple contests, but is exposed in the middle because of his poor kicking. Isn't as effective near goal

Wallis is not a flashy player. Yes his disposal is not always fantastic, but his repeat efforts and his ability to impact the scoreboard make him a valuable member of the team. There are better players skillwise, but not many can affect a game the way he does.

2. Likes Smads57, Twodogs, Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The father/ son rule brings something special to the Dogs. Very happy to see Libba Cordy Hunter and Wallis in the red white and blue with West to follow. It is a strength that we can build on.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Wallis a lot, but agree that there is uncertainty over whether he is best 22, partly because at the moment there's quite a sizeable difference between his best and worst, which he needs to address.

At his best, Wallis is an excellent inside mid who can win lots of contested ball, make good decisions with it, and have value running forward, especially late in when games start to open up. But sometimes this year he hasn't impacted the contest, which is a problem when it occurs.

I want to keep him, but he does need to be able to live with the possibility of games in the VFL if that happens. I think his leadership (and character more generally) are really valuable. And hopefully he can embrace the challenge of staying and fighting for a spot.

In terms of our list, his lack of pace is a disadvantage, as we clearly need to bring in more speed, and we lack that with our other main mids. So I want him to stay, but can understand if he leaves.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Roos said exactly that too.
    So are you suggesting we do the opposite of what Roos thinks is good?

He’s a charlatan of the highest order, always high profile, highly paid and mostly under delivering.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So are you suggesting we do the opposite of what Roos thinks is good?

He’s a charlatan of the highest order, always high profile, highly paid and mostly under delivering.
    Not a fan of Roos either but when he talks favourably about Crossy I am all ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should be captain
    I know this was the general consensus when he first joined the club, he looked captain material but why isn't he even in the leadership group?

You couldn't say it was because of his injuries, because Redpath got in after a knee reco and Wallis was already back playing.
    There must be a reason that he didn't get in, which seems odd because he seems such a focussed and charismatic guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I know this was the general consensus when he first joined the club, he looked captain material but why isn't he even in the leadership group?

You couldn't say it was because of his injuries, because Redpath got in after a knee reco and Wallis was already back playing.
    There must be a reason that he didn't get in, which seems odd because he seems such a focussed and charismatic guy.
    Wasn't the leadership group a popularity contest this season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Wasn't the leadership group a popularity contest this season?
    It is all years.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It is all years.
    It seems that it was certainly moreso this year.

We really need some true leadership and it is apparent that some players are important to that.

Look how much better we function with Dale Morris in the side.

I would think Wallis is more suited to the leadership group, than a couple we have in there currently.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It seems that it was certainly moreso this year.

We really need some true leadership and it is apparent that some players are important to that.

Look how much better we function with Dale Morris in the side.

I would think Wallis is more suited to the leadership group, than a couple we have in there currently.
    Yup. Wallis should be in the leadership group and the only reason he isn't is that some players were worried that he might make them work hard and they would prefer someone who isn't going to be so harsh on them. The leadership group has far too any "good blokes" and not enough blokes who will say the truth even though it might not be popular.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yup. Wallis should be in the leadership group and the only reason he isn't is that some players were worried that he might make them work hard and they would prefer someone who isn't going to be so harsh on them. The leadership group has far too any "good blokes" and not enough blokes who will say the truth even though it might not be popular.
    Is that merely a hunch or is it based on something more concrete?

I agree it's weird that someone of Wallis' work ethic and solid citizen status isn't in our leadership group.

To those who suggest lack of talent might be the reason, explain Redpath.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Is that merely a hunch or is it based on something more concrete?

I agree it's weird that someone of Wallis' work ethic and solid citizen status isn't in our leadership group.

To those who suggest lack of talent might be the reason, explain Redpath.
    Just a hunch, but a hunch that's informed by years of playing competitive sport in a team environment. It's human nature if you're given the choice between your boss being one of your mates who you think may be a bit of a soft touch or that competitive guy who's always gonna be on your back asking if you want to do extras and how your programme is going. That's how I think Wally missed out and there are a couple of surprising choices.

Maybe it's just indicative of a young group being asked to make the choice.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with TD, there is a good chance the players have selected the leaders they like not the leaders they and the club need.

They need to be challenged by their peers not just the coaches.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks are back in it but Roughy has a set shot and misses.
    25 to 24
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Wally's 3 goals and bucket of possessions is either turning Bevo onto keeping him, or not, but going to bring his manager bigger offers and get Sam Power and thus Bevo something he wants?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023