Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  99
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carey and the AFL

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    Geez you bastards are harsh
    Not really Borgy, he's got over 100 years worth of players to compete with for a spot in this list.

Is he in the top 50 of the past decade/25 years? You better bloody believe it.

To say "He would easily be in the top 50 ever", your exact words, is pushing it to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

To be in the best 50 ever you would have to be on average one of the five best players of each decade.

Hird
    Voss
    Judd
    Buckley
    Carey
    Brown
    Grant
    Harvey are better players to come to mind in without giving more than 30 seconds of thought.

Cousins was a good player, but not that good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    To be in the best 50 ever you would have to be on average one of the five best players of each decade.

Hird
    Voss
    Judd
    Buckley
    Carey
    Brown
    Grant
    Harvey are better players to come to mind in without giving more than 30 seconds of thought.

Cousins was a good player, but not that good.
    Which decade is your list from?

Hird, Voss, Buckley, Carey, Grant, Harvey all played there best footy in the 90's.

Judd and Brown are from the 00's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Which decade is your list from?

Hird, Voss, Buckley, Carey, Grant, Harvey all played there best footy in the 90's.

Judd and Brown are from the 00's.
    Mate, I had a 30 second think about the list. Hird Voss and Buckley were all superstars of the current decade.

Several times I have been in awe of these guys. I just dont feel the same about Cousins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Cousins makes it. You cant have one of them in and not the other. If it was purely based on on-field performances then they both will make it.
    Possibly a point of difference is that the majority of Cousins' indescretions have come whilst he has been a player. Carey, the shagging of his team captains wife aside, has largely misbehaved once he left the game, a little like Ablett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think things are changing in the US as well though. Baseball is having a real think about if players that have crossed the line will ever get hall of fame recognition.
    The criterias are changing and it will catch on here soon enough, the AFL will introduce some type of checklist at some stage. FWIW Carey's football spoke for itself and he should be included. Tho, his actions offield of late leave alot to be desired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charmdog View Post
    The criterias are changing and it will catch on here soon enough, the AFL will introduce some type of checklist at some stage. FWIW Carey's football spoke for itself and he should be included. Tho, his actions offield of late leave alot to be desired.
    Probably wouldn't be the only champion footballer / complete ****wit in the HOF.
    Although he'd take some topping in both stakes.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

As a person, he's a grade A flog.

As a footballer, probably the best i have seen.

He isn't the first dickhead, and won't be the last, he'll deserve a spot on his football talents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    As a person, he's a grade A flog.

As a footballer, probably the best i have seen.

He isn't the first dickhead, and won't be the last, he'll deserve a spot on his football talents.
    Your opinion but i doubt anyone will agree. I would like to see the list without Cousins and then try to find him a spot. I'm pretty sure there would be better footballers than him in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Your opinion but i doubt anyone will agree. I would like to see the list without Cousins and then try to find him a spot. I'm pretty sure there would be better footballers than him in there.
    Carey, easily the most dominant player of the past 15 years (unbelievable but during that period North have won more games than any other team).

He'd be right up there with the BEST of them, tho it is subjective.

Cousins, doesn't get within a bulls roar in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Carey, easily the most dominant player of the past 15 years (unbelievable but during that period North have won more games than any other team).

He'd be right up there with the BEST of them, tho it is subjective.

Cousins, doesn't get within a bulls roar in my view.
    Just to be sure I'm not talking about Carey, just Cousins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Just to be sure I'm not talking about Carey, just Cousins
    Carey & Ablett probably the best.

Voss, Hird, Harvey, Grant, Bucks, Hawkins, Kernahan, Lockett [next group]

Post Thanks / Like

These blokes have long memories

link

Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens have come to blows in a sad sequel to the 2002 affair scandal that fractured their friendship.

Carey and Stevens had an ugly altercation on Saturday night at Yarraville’s Railway Hotel, where many former Kangaroos players had gathered to celebrate North Melbourne’s 1996 premiership reunion.

Witnesses said Carey went at Stevens, accusing him of talking behind his back and telling people he couldn’t be contacted and to not bother trying to catch up with him, but then being fine in-person.

Onlookers said at one stage that the pair had to be separated, with several former teammates left stunned by Carey’s outburst.

Stevens – a current board member and president of the Roos’ past players association – didn’t take part in the club’s Marvel Stadium motorcade on Sunday because he was shattered by the heated exchange.

Carey was caught cheating in 2002 with Kelli Stevens – the then-wife of Anthony – in a scandal that fractured North Melbourne and led to Carey’s departure from the club.

North Melbourne captain at the time, Carey sat out the 2002 season before leaving the club in disgrace to join the Adelaide Crows.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame it's come to this, I guess they'll never be really friendly but they should be able to be able to catch-up with their mates and be civil.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes josie, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He shouldn't be welcome if Stevens doesn't want him there TBH. If it was just the cheating maybe he could be forgiven but we all know what kind of person he is so who cares about including him or making amends.

17. Likes Mofra, azabob, 1eyedog liked this post