Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  99
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne Carey and the AFL

Apparently the AFL about to list their top 50 players of all time and obviously Wayne Carey is well in the mix. There is some talk that the AFL might also be under pressure not to include him given his off field behaviour.

Should his off field conduct even be considered when putting together a list of the best 50 players of all time?

Whilst I doubt anyone condones his behaviour I think his ability on the field should be the only thing the AFL considers. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carey and the AFL

Depends if they are judging a player's worth to their club, which I beleive should be a consideration.

Arguably Chris Grant & Glen Archer were more valueable to their respective clubs than even their considerable on-field contributions indicate.

Ablett will be the interesting one. For all his off-field indiscretions, he always appears to be the loyal Geelong man; loyal is something Carey could never claim to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I've been wanting to talk about this all week although I'm more interested in the Carey shananigans.

I'm sure the US sports have had this problem, with OJ and others. I don't see a problem in including him in a list, its just a name.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a list of the BEST 50 players, he walks it in hands down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Now I've been wanting to talk about this all week although I'm more interested in the Carey shananigans.

I'm sure the US sports have had this problem, with OJ and others. I don't see a problem in including him in a list, its just a name.
    I think things are changing in the US as well though. Baseball is having a real think about if players that have crossed the line will ever get hall of fame recognition.

My gut feel says judge Carey purely on his footy exploits but I do understand that other considerations might come into play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Carey and his indescretions should not be a consideration when judging him on his football ability to which the majority of footabll fans can attest to was phenomenal.

His off field behaviour leaves a lot to be desired and whilst I don't think much of him as a human being - I could never fault his playing ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Carey and his indescretions should not be a consideration when judging him on his football ability to which the majority of footabll fans can attest to was phenomenal.

His off field behaviour leaves a lot to be desired and whilst I don't think much of him as a human being - I could never fault his playing ability.
    Agree Belle.

He maybe a dropkick off the field but on the field - one of the best.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think things are changing in the US as well though. Baseball is having a real think about if players that have crossed the line will ever get hall of fame recognition.

My gut feel says judge Carey purely on his footy exploits but I do understand that other considerations might come into play.
    I seem to recall some 15 or so years ago, Hall of Fame Baseballer Pete Rose got in some trouble for gambling and whilst I'm not 100% sure, I thought he was removed from the Hall of Fame?

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see if Cousins makes it. You cant have one of them in and not the other. If it was purely based on on-field performances then they both will make it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Cousins makes it. You cant have one of them in and not the other. If it was purely based on on-field performances then they both will make it.
    Maybe not. Cousins was great but doesn't mean top 50 EVER.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe not. Cousins was great but doesn't mean top 50 EVER.
    He would easily be in the top 50 ever. Have a look at what he's acheived.

Off my head:
    Rising Star(?)
    Brownlow
    Premiership player
    Captain

To not include a player because of their off field behavoir crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    He would easily be in the top 50 ever. Have a look at what he's acheived.

Off my head:
    Rising Star(?)
    Brownlow
    Premiership player
    Captain

To not include a player because of their off field behavoir crap.
    I don't care about off field stuff (Careys could be the exception) But those individal awards don't tell the story.

Grant
    Not rising star
    not brownlow
    not premiership player
    Captain

I think Grant is better than Cousins.

Post Thanks / Like

Up to around 2000 Carey was the player that consistantly had the most impact on a game that I have ever seen.

Does anyone remember him taking the 'dogs apart at the kennel in early 93 or 94.

I went to that game with a mate who is a Hawthorn supporter. We both reflect that it was the best individual game that either of us have ever seen.

Cousins was a good player much the same as say Scotty West, with a lot more disruption to his club thrown in. He wouldn't make the top 50 ever IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I cant belive you guys are underrating Cousins.

Take a look at this, it may change your mind, http://youtube.com/watch?v=EVoouUBu2JE

Post Thanks / Like

Geez you bastards are harsh