Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

'No-brainer' for Dogs hero to play on: Beveridge

link

LUKE Beveridge has backed Dale Morris to play on next year, declaring it would be a "no-brainer" if the veteran stopper was fit and healthy.

Morris told Channel Seven recently: "I'll keep going for as long as I can, I love the game too much.”

Beveridge told reporters he didn't look at birth certificates when it came to list management decisions, backing the 35-year-old to saddle up for a 16th AFL season.

The versatile defender has his injury concerns over the past two seasons, with a broken leg, fractured arm and partially torn ACL limiting him to just 15 games since the Dogs won the 2016 Grand Final – a game he played in with a broken back.

"I want him if he's fit and healthy," Beveridge declared on Tuesday.

"He's playing pretty well, he's been strong and his desire to go on has been strong enough, and he thinks he's got more than another year in him.

"I don't pay much attention to the actual age of the player, it's just their output and their willingness to get everything out of themselves.

"He's had some injuries, we know that, so he's missed some footy, and I think he can go on more than one year.

"Hopefully he gets through and plays some really good footy, (so) it's a no-brainer at the end of the year."

While confident of Morris going around again in 2019, Beveridge was also bullish that Tom Liberatore would remain at Whitten Oval after the gifted playmaker's diligent efforts in his rehabilitation from a second knee reconstruction.

A restricted free agent at season's end, the 26-year-old is one of several Bulldogs with unclear futures.

"(Tom's) just got to get through these hoops with his rehab and make sure he's physically OK (to earn another contract), because he's had a few (knee reconstructions) now, but the signs are good," Beveridge said.

"He's going alright, he's back running, he's looking reasonably strong and trying to prepare himself for 2019, so there's some encouraging signs there with his rehab.

"In January he should almost be at full speed, but the timeline will still be 11 months (since the injury), so he shouldn't be too far away.

"This injury wasn't a car crash-type knee that ripped the shreds out his knee."

Beveridge said second-year forward Fergus Greene was unlikely to make his debut against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday despite good VFL form.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog, Bulldog4life, Twodogs, choconmientay thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'No-brainer' for Dogs hero to play on: Beveridge

Moz and Picko will be playing on next year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Moz and Picko will be playing on next year.
    I doubt Picken will play on.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I doubt Picken will play on.
    According to Bevo he reckons he will be around still.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Libba is such an important player. I really wish him well. It was absolutely tragic to lose him after the pre-season he'd put in. He looked to be in superb condition. Dale Morris playing on is great news. He always looks in fine fertile and is mentally tough. When we get all our players back we will be a force again for sure.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    According to Bevo he reckons he will be around still.
    If you go just from his social media stuff - I dont think Picken has really considered giving it away - I think hes locked in on playing next season

Post Thanks / Like

If Dale plays on, which I'm happy to occur as we all know what he brings, where does it leave Zaine Cordy's position within the team?

Can't play both in defence and his forward craft isn't strong enough to warrant a spot down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    If you go just from his social media stuff - I dont think Picken has really considered giving it away - I think hes locked in on playing next season
    I was at the Westerners function on Saturday night where Liam spoke and he certainly seems to be itching to get back, just waiting for the all clear.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Can't play both in defence and his forward craft isn't strong enough to warrant a spot down there.
    I reckon they can both play down back. Dale can lock down on the best opposition small forwards and Zaine can play taller in a similar role.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I reckon they can both play down back. Dale can lock down on the best opposition small forwards and Zaine can play taller in a similar role.
    With Adams & Naughton/Trengove.. Over-kill much? Especially when Wood comes back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    With Adams & Naughton/Trengove.. Over-kill much? Especially when Wood comes back.
    Wood is 185cm, I'd prefer him playing on mid-sizers anyway.

I don't foresee too many games next year in which all three of Moz/Adams and Naughton are fit.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Wood is 185cm, I'd prefer him playing on mid-sizers anyway.

I don't foresee too many games next year in which all three of Moz/Adams and Naughton are fit.
    Yeah would be great to have all our players available at the same time. When some become available others are not has been what's happening with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I was at the Westerners function on Saturday night where Liam spoke and he certainly seems to be itching to get back, just waiting for the all clear.
    Love his determination. Wish him all the best for whatever happens. One thing for sure he will be forever a premiership player and that goal in the last quarter of the GF I'll never forget.