Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo lashes out at Barrett

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-1...g-doors-column

LUKE Beveridge has labelled AFL.com.au's Sliding Doors column "disgraceful" for inferring the Western Bulldogs may have fabricated a back injury to Tom Boyd.

Contributor and long-time journalist Damian Barrett surmised in his weekly column: "IF back soreness is the real reason Boyd is not playing this weekend … THEN that's a shame. Would've liked to have seen him up against Gawn. Instead, (Jordan) Roughead, who Bevo has developed a set against, will go up against a guy who may be the best ruckman in the game."

Boyd has had a well-documented battle with mental health issues over the past 12 months, and only returned to the senior side in round five after being sidelined with the condition since the middle of last year.

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, a fired-up Beveridge wasn't mincing his words when asked about the column, dismissing the claim and declaring Boyd would have gone head-to-head with Gawn if fit.

Boyd will need to pass a fitness test to prove he's right to make the flight to Perth to take on the Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday

"I think (the column is) disgraceful," Beveridge said.

"With mental health such a significantly sensitive issue in our game, for (Barrett) to infer we were making up (Boyd's) injury and that there is something else wrong, and why (he) would even go there, just shows what we're dealing with.

"Whoever contracts and employs (Barrett), I'm inquisitive to know what the driver is from a moralistic point of view, and a contentious point of view - there's not much there.

'We've been really happy with a 22-year-old developing ruckman who potentially, as we move into mid-twenties, will be an operational and damaging key forward – that would be outstanding.

"He found himself in a week where he was sore, out for a week and hopefully back in (against West Coast), there's a chance we'll play that 50-50 approach with 'Roughy' (in the ruck and attack).

"We've got to get through match committee and work that out."

Beveridge also hit back at Barrett over his questioning of his relationship with Jordan Roughead, a player who has largely out of favour this season and a free agent at season's end.

The 2016 premiership coach then went on to query the role the award-winning journalist played in a recent Triple M scandal that cost Barry Hall his job with the network after the former Bulldog's comments about fellow commentator Leigh Montagna's wife.

"Even insinuating that 'Roughy' and I have relationship issues, and I'm throwing him under the bus by playing him against Gawn, is divisive," Beveridge said.

"He wriggled himself out of (the Triple M) situation when it comes to equality and the fairer sex, and now jumps into hot water when it comes to mental health."

The Western Bulldogs and Barrett had a meeting earlier in the season to work out the differences two parties have had in recent times.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo lashes out at Barrett

Would've been good to say our Club doesn't read that trash, but given the implacation of the article probably had to say what he did.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done to Bevo and the club for calling out this arsehole and his vendetta against us.
    Very proud that we have answered back in the manner we did.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes bornadog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like it. But we need to stop now before he tries to bring us into an ongoing tit for tat.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wondered if his latest 'act' would pass without a reaction.

Part of me is peeved our senior coach is even bothering to pause to pick this turd off the bottom of his boot ... but the other part of me applauds him for being prepared to call this shit out. Barrett's jibe, on an official AFEL platform no less, was pathetic and transparently malicious.

What an ornament to your industry you are Damo that you're comfortable trading off the wellbeing of a young player to hurl baseless shit at a perceived adversary.

That Barrett's a bottom feeder shocks nobody, but he's emblematic in a multitude of ways of prominent sections of the rank media culture that covers the game, and it needs to change.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

9. Thanks S Coast Simon thanked for this post
    Likes choconmientay, macca, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Like it. But we need to stop now before he tries to bring us into an ongoing tit for tat.
    Agreed, whack him hard once and distance yourself from him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Who is going to be the first wet towel to tut-tut at Bevo I wonder? I'd be disappointed if that occurs. This is just one of those scenarios where you stand behind your own and should an olive branch appear, beat your adversary to death with it.

While it's a deeply personal vendetta, I doubt it is a distraction from the work of the coach to provide comment. Back our man.

12. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha. Good on ya Bevo. I love Bevo's little slap when he brought up Barretts involvement in the Barry Hall inappropriate radio comments. Gold.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

14. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Why stop, finish him off. Beat the living shit out.of the little weasel. I'd be happy to put my hand up and do it.

16. Likes WBFC4FFC, AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please explain when and how Barrett got some sort of reputation for being a serious journalist?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Can someone please explain when and how Barrett got some sort of reputation for being a serious journalist?
    He does?

I'm more interested in why the AFEL would sanction his unique brand of gutter trawling.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Complete bottom feeder . Complete Grub
    Played a role in the Triple M Barry Hall shocker
    Made a grovelling limp apology also ,and agree with others in not engaging tit for tat with this bottom feeder
    How he derides a wage is mindboggling

21. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard SOS gave the footy classified crew a good blast , hope that included Barrett, he is slowly running out of clubs who talk to him.
    I thought journos job was to report the news not make it.
    Bring back the biff

23. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would actually like Bevo, if asked about his comments on Barrett, say these exact words:

"I'm sorry I brought that shit-stain into the light of the public, but I thought what I said needed to be said. I won't be commenting further on him or the matter or journalistic integrity further."

That would close out things nicely.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the hell is the AFL employing Barrett in the first place. His so called weekly sliding door on the Bulldogs has been about Boyd at least 70% of the time since we recruited him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.