Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Case For Signing Mitch Wallis

Originally Mitch was a midfielder, towards the outside. Then under BMac he was a tagger. Under Bevo he's an inside midfielder who takes stints forward. So he's been thrown around.

Size: 186cm, 85kg - Which is virtually the same size as Tory Dickson. About the same speed, but more aggressive.

His career best goal kicking was 15 goals in 20 games. After the weekend he's now got 16 goals in just 13 games with 5 games to go. This year he's kicked 16 goals, 2 behinds (11 goal assist too). Accuracy better than Tory Dickson. His career goal kicking accuracy is 65%, pretty much the same as Tory Dickson (but under).

We've lost mid sized forwards in Stringer, Clay Smith & possibly Liam Picken and Tory Dickson. We've found Gowers, but he might be best playing a little higher up the ground.

Perhaps Mitch Wallis, with his hardness, good marking hands and elite goal kicking accuracy is actually a strong mid sized forward. And it's for this role we have him going forward. With the ability to move around if needed, but a bona fide mid sized forward, something we desperately need. If he can kick over 20 goals in 18 games whilst playing midfield/forward, perhaps as a dedicated forward he could become a 1.5 goal a game forward for the rest of his career. I think, for me at least, we are seeing another role emerge for him that would lead me to happily offer him a contract and focus on his strengths that have come to the forefront in the last month.

So Sam Power, sign him up please.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Case For Signing Mitch Wallis

Agree wholeheartedly. He has embraced the challenge from Bevo to find additional strings to his bow and, apart from one unfortunate poor kick, has performed better than anyone could expect in this role. Losing Dickson, Picken and Smith leaves a gaping hole in our forward line and Wally has filled the breach really well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes Dancin' Douggy, GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always feel confident when Wally is in a contest, that he will either win it or halve the contest at worst.

25 years of age, getting over 20 possessions and over a goal per game - absolutely he should be signed up. And if in future we are going well enough that he is getting pushed out of the side by others, then great. Coming back from that horrendous broken leg was always going to be hard. And adapting to different roles is an additional challenge, but you know that Mitch is up for it. I would be devastated if we let him walk.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - need to get him signed for all the reasons stated above.

Adapted well to the forward half, he's a leader and a competitor.

Post Thanks / Like

He has responded really well to the challenges thrown at him. Good leadership, can sniff a goal. I'd be keeping him, no doubt.

7. Likes Eastdog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would like to hang onto to Wally. He is just one of those types of players you want around at the club.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Wal's strengths, application and leadership traits outweigh his limitations as a player.

Ink the lad or another mob will. And for chrissake put him in the leadership group where he belongs.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is certainly a capable forward but I still think he is best suited to a midfield/forward role rather than a permanent forward.

I'm not sure that he is very comparable to Tory Dickson though. No way is their speed about the same, Dickson would leave Wallis for dead. Look no further than Tory's run down of Mckenna against the Bombers earlier this year, no chance in hell Wallis could have done that.

A definite re-sign for mine though. What would our offer look like - 3 year contract at something like $450k?

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for rounding stats out, entire competition wide:

2018 AFL Wide Ranking/All Clubs: Goal Kicking Accuracy

1. Mitch Wallis 88.9%
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 24-07-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He isn't going anywhere,to me it was a media beat up on a Beveridge comment that's blown up out of proportion, he is a very good player and a leader.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add something else - when the players turned up for pre-season, Wallis led the time trial result. He's clearly someone who busts his gut on the track and having blokes train that hard is a positive for the group overall.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I like all your reasoning so put me down as member of your group. Let's sign Mitch.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed watching Mitch's career with us so far. He is a dedicated, hard working, professional footballer who loves the club. What more could you ask for.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else notice he was the first to check on HC once he was stretchered...leader of the pack!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

20. Likes boydogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has to stay - especially if Dahlhaus does leave. Hard worker, mature body, competitor, leader, great set shot and sticky hands.

Bevo came from a culture under Clarkson that focused on what you can do well as opposed to not...I get he has some limitations, but what he does well (contest / set shot) are in short supply at our club.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

22. Likes Testekill liked this post