Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  55
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Case For Signing Mitch Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    300k is just average these days, he would be insulted if that is all we are offering.
    Sure. But let's say we're offering 400 and Brisbane 600. I for one would think he's an idiot for staying.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Sure. But let's say we're offering 400 and Brisbane 600. I for one would think he's an idiot for staying.
    An extra $200k, or $140k after tax - maybe it is not all about money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A little torn on this.

Pick 19 (for example) sounds good for Wallis, but it's still a pick that is more miss than hit. You also lose a leader of the club and there's no denying the fabric would be stretched given his father/son ties. Given our list and where it's at, a leader who can teach the kids as well as play in multiple positions is handy.

The reality is that Wallis isn't a star player, has obvious flaws (pace and skill) and his type is commonly found within every draft but I'm not sure giving him up for a pretty speculative pick is astute list management.

I still would prefer to keep him at around 450K.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be. Loyalty, past a certain dollar point, is bunk.

If the club could replace Mitch with a better player, they would do it without hesitation. No way should we expect Mitch, or any player, to forego a big dollar differential for any romantic notions of tradition.

I accept that not everyone will agree with me and that's fine - but I don't believe anyone that says they would stay loyal to any employer when another employer might be offering you a 30% pay rise.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

300k is just average these days, he would be insulted if that is all we are offering.
    The majority of players on AFL lists are on below average pay.
    There would be plenty at all clubs getting regular games, who are below the average.

You have the top money earners, where 2 or 3 players can take as much as 15% combined (or more), the average around the rest of the list declines.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    A little torn on this.

Pick 19 (for example) sounds good for Wallis, but it's still a pick that is more miss than hit. You also lose a leader of the club and there's no denying the fabric would be stretched given his father/son ties. Given our list and where it's at, a leader who can teach the kids as well as play in multiple positions is handy.

The reality is that Wallis isn't a star player, has obvious flaws (pace and skill) and his type is commonly found within every draft but I'm not sure giving him up for a pretty speculative pick is astute list management.

Fair chance that hypothetical pick 19 is pushed back a bit with priority picks, etc and is used on West rather than a speculative pick.

I too would like to keep Wallis, but only at the right price. Happy to give him 3 years at around $400-$450k, but if he's being offered $500-$600k and 4 or 5 years then good luck to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Too good a deal to knock back for Wal. The club and Wal are a bit apart in $ and length of contract.
    Do you have a feel for the years we are offering and what he is expecting?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    A little torn on this.

Are we being optimistic to expect a pick around 19?
    I'm more than happy to have Mitch resign but if he goes we might have to accept it's a later pick.

Lets pay him what he is worth to us and hopefully that is good enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are we being optimistic to expect a pick around 19?
    I'm more than happy to have Mitch resign but if he goes we might have to accept it's a later pick.

Lets pay him what he is worth to us and hopefully that is good enough
    Depends on the $$$ involved. He's only 25 which is a positive for free agency compo. If the contract is large enough an end of first round pick is realistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Depends on the $$$ involved. He's only 25 which is a positive for free agency compo. If the contract is large enough an end of first round pick is realistic.
    Thanks, I'm always interested in peoples view on compensation and players departing.
    There is a chance that people say for something like pick 19 it's worth letting them go but not so much for pick 27.

To me, I don't really care what the compensation is if we don't rate the player enough to offer him a good contract

11. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Per year? Geez I don't know many that would do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Per year? Geez I don't know many that would do that.
    If he gets $500k, and gets to stay in Melbourne and play for the club his father played for and the club he supported since he was born, maybe that is enough?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If he gets $500k, and gets to stay in Melbourne and play for the club his father played for and the club he supported since he was born, maybe that is enough?
    The question is whether he is actually worth that much money.

Mitch has played pretty well over the last half of the season, but he is a foot soldier.

If we gave him $500k over 4 years, we need to consider if that would impact on our ability to retain Ed Richards in 2 years time.

On a choice of Mitch Wallis or Ed Richards for 2021, who would we prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The question is whether he is actually worth that much money.

Mitch has played pretty well over the last half of the season, but he is a foot soldier.

If we gave him $500k over 4 years, we need to consider if that would impact on our ability to retain Ed Richards in 2 years time.

On a choice of Mitch Wallis or Ed Richards for 2021, who would we prefer?
    I was making that figure up - to tell you the truth, I have no idea what footballers are worth.

I was trying to illustrate a point. Could be $400k and Mitch could be happy. As others have said, it may be more a matter of playing time, the role he plays the length of contract, etc that may sway him and the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I was making that figure up - to tell you the truth, I have no idea what footballers are worth.

I was trying to illustrate a point. Could be $400k and Mitch could be happy. As others have said, it may be more a matter of playing time, the role he plays the length of contract, etc that may sway him and the club.
    While I agree on keeping Mitch, the club cannot afford to overpay.