Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

New Dog comes from 'nowhere' to the big-time

WESTERN Bulldogs debutant Fergus Greene is your classic late developer, with the forward barely on recruiters' radars heading into the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.

The Bendigo Pioneers' product only played five TAC Cup games in his draft year, and only joined the club mid-season after catching the eye in country footy with Sandhurst.

Unlike many of his teammates in the Dogs' side to play Port Adelaide in Ballarat, Greene wasn't a highly-decorated junior footballer who was a walk-up start to representative teams.

But after two impressive seasons developing with Footscray, the 20-year-old finally gets his opportunity on Sunday, and Pioneers talent manager Stephen Sharp couldn't prouder of a player who's come from "nowhere" in footy terms.

Greene has slotted 18 goals from all 14 games in the VFL this season while averaging 11 disposals, four marks and three tackles.
    "We're really excited for Fergus because he's worked really hard and wasn't the typical TAC Cup pathway player," Sharp told AFL.com.au.

"He wasn't involved in our program early and I don't think he was selected in any interleague teams as a junior, so to get where he's got to, I've got to take my hat off to him.

"He wore three different numbers in five games with us, and we weren't trying to hide him, it just worked out that way.
    "I constantly had recruiters asking which player Fergus was.
    "When his father Chris was coaching interleague sides, Fergus couldn't get a game, so he was the teams' runner through those years.
    "He is definitely a late developer."

Taken with pick 70 in the 2016 talent pool, Greene has similar traits to teammate and fellow late bloomer Tory Dickson, with premiership forward having to wait until the age of 24 to make his AFL debut.
    Like Dickson, Greene possesses innate goal sense which is complemented by reliable set shot routine and the ability to apply forward pressure.

But Sharp believes his former charge will only evolve as player.
    "I reckon he could develop into a really good outside mid or wingman who can run up and down the ground with repeat efforts," Sharp said.

"Fergus ran a 15.6 beep test at the state combine, which was the best time recorded nationally prior to the draft.
    "He's also a great mark with great elevation, clean ball-handling skills and a sound kicking style, so he has all the necessary ingredients to go with his elite endurance. He's also got that great goal sense, which you can't buy either.

"He marches to the beat to his own drum and has his own personality, but he's a really respectful kid.
    "With a great attitude, I'm sure he'll get the best out of himself."

Strong footballing pedigree is also in Greene's favour, with uncle Brendan Hartney playing 23 games with Carlton during the 1980s

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Bulldog4life, choconmientay thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Dog comes from 'nowhere' to the big-time

From Sandhurst juniors to AFL in two years. Makes you wonder where he will be in another two years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

"Fergalicious"

I doubted that he would ever debut when I first saw how light he was. He is still skinny but he already looks like Will Minson compared to what old Spindles did at the same age.

Good luck Ferg.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Not good weather for his debut and talents.
    I would say he will be a shoe in for next week.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

One goal and 3 tackles to half time - Go Fergy!
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he did ok in a dirty day for dogs. Tackles better than a few of our more experienced players. Like those long legs and arms-a little bit go gadgety. And he kicked straight for goal which is a rare commodity for us. Go Fergus!!
    Last edited by josie; 30-07-2018 at 12:26 AM.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, N/A, Testekill liked this post