Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  40
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Analysis - August 2018

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    An injured rookie who can't kick straight and has rotated through the midfield is leading our goalkicking.

Keep it going...
    ... who has also taken the mantle of 'best instagram at the club' away from Biggsy, which is arguably a greater feat.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Twodogs, Dry Rot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I decided to cut our list another way and look at list balance. I've categorised our list into key areas/roles.
    Fair effort, but an impossible task. Boyd as a tall forward? Maybe in three year's time if you listen to interviews, but he's played more ruck than anywhere else.
    Trengove trained forward/ruck pre-season, has been swung back for most of the year, then played as our no 1 ruck on the weekend.
    NMM I haven't seen ruck at all at VFL level this year, has played more forward and despite his height often the mid sized forward because he's agile and we normally have 1-2 of Campbell/Roughy/English there.

Flexibility means it's harder to judge where players will play their football. Ed Richards? I'll say his natural position is being changed from HB to wing.
    Bailey Dale seems more comfortable forward of the ball.
    Clay Smith played forward far more than midfield too (although now it's sadly moot).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Fair effort, but an impossible task. Boyd as a tall forward? Maybe in three year's time if you listen to interviews, but he's played more ruck than anywhere else.
    Trengove trained forward/ruck pre-season, has been swung back for most of the year, then played as our no 1 ruck on the weekend.
    NMM I haven't seen ruck at all at VFL level this year, has played more forward and despite his height often the mid sized forward because he's agile and we normally have 1-2 of Campbell/Roughy/English there.

Flexibility means it's harder to judge where players will play their football. Ed Richards? I'll say his natural position is being changed from HB to wing.
    Bailey Dale seems more comfortable forward of the ball.
    Clay Smith played forward far more than midfield too (although now it's sadly moot).
    Yeah some players were tough to place. But i went down the path of placing players where their perceived strengths are for us fans. I think most of us agree Boyd was meant to be a tall forward and that's where his future is. He's not a ruckman. Others like Clay, Trengrove, Richards, Dale, Mclean even Picken can, to their credit, play multiple positions well.

NMM, honestly i had no idea where he played so it was a guess!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah some players were tough to place. But i went down the path of placing players where their perceived strengths are for us fans. I think most of us agree Boyd was meant to be a tall forward and that's where his future is. He's not a ruckman. Others like Clay, Trengrove, Richards, Dale, Mclean even Picken can, to their credit, play multiple positions well.

You needed a category titled 'other'
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ... who has also taken the mantle of 'best instagram at the club' away from Biggsy, which is arguably a greater feat.
    An injured rookie who can't kick straight and has rotated through the midfield who has some passion and aggression not seen for awhile who started last year playing in the Ammos and who couldn't get a game for a historically bad Carlton is leading our goalkicking
    An injured rookie who can't kick straight and has rotated through the midfield who has some passion and aggression not seen for awhile who started last year playing in the Ammos and who couldn't get a game for a historically bad Carlton who has also taken the mantle of 'best instagram at the club' away from Biggsy and whose dad has served on the board of a rival club, is leading our goalkicking.

This is fun.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts got a "home ground" send off last week. Dropped after 1 week? Thanks for everything Sid!

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? honestly think Tom Boyd will always ruck for us. He can't handle the pressure of being a full time foward. But that's ok. He contributes.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Great posting BDT&T.

Much to think about. I'm of the view that our list attrition will pretty much balance everything out aside from genuine forward stock. This and midfield depth is where we need to focus our efforts.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Thanks bulldogsthru&thru thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Fletcher Roberts got a "home ground" send off last week. Dropped after 1 week? Thanks for everything Sid!
    He's contracted for next year. I've said before I'd keep him before Collins. Base salary back up I'd imagine.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t say I agree with the way the MC has treated Fletch...he played well in our premiership year and has been pretty much relegated to the VFL without a chance to cement his spot since, unlike some others who seem the coaches pet.

No he’s not the best defender in the AFL, but he’s certainly not the worst, and I still feel he can offer something. I’m not sure why the coaches have lost their faith in him.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I can’t say I agree with the way the MC has treated Fletch...he played well in our premiership year and has been pretty much relegated to the VFL without a chance to cement his spot since, unlike some others who seem the coaches pet.

No he’s not the best defender in the AFL, but he’s certainly not the worst, and I still feel he can offer something. I’m not sure why the coaches have lost their faith in him.
    There was a stat a couple of yrs ago when Fletch was playing more that had him as losing the most one on one contests of all KPDs in the AFL. One on one he actually is one of the worst KPDs. Given his treatment by the MC, if he wasn't contracted he would be gone. He still may be.

Post Thanks / Like

I know we went mainly zone defence on GF day but I thought that when they manned up that Hamling took Buddy? But a few posters here say that Roberts was on Buddy on GF day. Everytime I looked over to see the match ups Hamling would be standing next to Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

An injured rookie who can't kick straight and has rotated through the midfield who has some passion and aggression not seen for awhile who started last year playing in the Ammos and who couldn't get a game for a historically bad Carlton is leading our goalkicking and whose father played for bloody Hawthorn.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now what was this thread about again??

Post Thanks / Like

Not injured rookies obviously.

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post