Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Analysis - August 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I know we went mainly zone defence on GF day but I thought that when they manned up that Hamling took Buddy? But a few posters here say that Roberts was on Buddy on GF day. Everytime I looked over to see the match ups Hamling would be standing next to Franklin.
    I kind of got the feeling that we retconned Hamling to being the one who contributed less of the two during the finals after he walked out.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I kind of got the feeling that we retconned Hamling to being the one who contributed less of the two during the finals after he walked out.
    We probably did. So who manned up on Cyril when we played Hawthorn? We should retcon that one too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    An injured rookie who can't kick straight and has rotated through the midfield who has some passion and aggression not seen for awhile who started last year playing in the Ammos and who couldn't get a game for a historically bad Carlton is leading our goalkicking and whose father played for bloody Hawthorn.
    An injured rookie who can't kick straight and has rotated through the midfield who has some passion and aggression not seen for awhile who started last year playing in the Ammos and who couldn't get a game for a historically bad Carlton and whose father played for bloody Hawthorn is leading our goalkicking and is in frame for selection this week

Ryan might have been reading this thread

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-0...-trio-in-frame

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly not surprised Gowers is leading our goal kicking. Other than Dicko he’s the only “genuine” forward we have. I’m also wondering if he can back it up next year, particularly when we get players back and our game style and structure changes. 50:50 on him to date but love what I’ve seen this year.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To track our progress. That's 3 of the don't rate list and 1 off the finished list

A Graders
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Jack Macrae

Rate
    Aaron Naughton
    Bailey Williams
    Billy Gowers
    Caleb Daniel
    Dale Morris
    Easton Wood
    Ed Richards
    Hayden Crozier
    Josh Dunkley
    Josh Schache
    Lachie Hunter
    Liam Picken
    Matthew Suckling
    Mitch Wallis
    Patrick Lipinski
    Tim English
    Toby McLean
    Zaine Cordy
    Jason Johannisen

Don't rate
    Fletcher Roberts
    Jordan Roughead
    Kieran Collins
    Lin Jong
    Lukas Webb
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
    Roarke Smith
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell

Jury's still out
    Bailey Dale
    Brad Lynch
    Callum Porter
    Fergus Greene
    Lewis Young
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Marcus Adams
    Tom Boyd
    Tom Liberatore
    Jackson Trengove

Finished
    Clay Smith
    Jack Redpath
    Tory Dickson
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 28-08-2018 at 04:21 PM.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray, Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does JJ's good finish to the year (when played in his preferred position) change you ranking of him? Cause I can't agree he belongs in that grouping.

10. Likes Ozza, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Does JJ's good finish to the year (when played in his preferred position) change you ranking of him? Cause I can't agree he belongs in that grouping.
    Yeah agree. The original grouping was done in August following our loss to Port Adelaide. At that stage JJ looked soft, uncompetitive and completely unable to deal with any sort of tag. He's certainly turned that around since. A number of players have including Trengove. Those big names in that grouping were players who had either gone backwards or stagnated since the premiership. So there were big question marks over the perceived value going forward. I agree JJ has turned the corner. Dahl and Libba still question marks though

Post Thanks / Like

Who has played better since 2016, JJ or Wood?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah agree. The original grouping was done in August following our loss to Port Adelaide. At that stage JJ looked soft, uncompetitive and completely unable to deal with any sort of tag. He's certainly turned that around since. A number of players have including Trengove. Those big names in that grouping were players who had either gone backwards or stagnated since the premiership. So there were big question marks over the perceived value going forward. I agree JJ has turned the corner. Dahl and Libba still question marks though
    Pretty good assessment there. Dahl looks to be on his way out and Libba has been frustrated by injury. Libba had a great 2018 pre-season until the injury so we need to see how he goes in 2019. I would think Libba is still around next year.

4 players gone. How many do you think will walk?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He's an outstanding rebounding backman, an adequate wingman or a poor forward. He finished the year in the backline and played very well.

Our best form for the year came when we started playing players in their best position. Funny that. I'd have two backline candidates well ahead of him as 'transition to mid/wing' options - Bailey Williams transitioned well despite good early season backline form, and Ed Richards looked good on a wing despite running out of steam towards the end of the year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Morris just signed on another year so he is off any list of leaving or retiring.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Who has played better since 2016, JJ or Wood?
    I think they've both had times when they've been better than the other, and just as ordinary!

Last night I finally watched the weekend's game versus Richmond, and I thought that Wood showed glimpses of the best type of player he can be intercepting in all areas between wing and full back. He's elite when on song.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think they've both had times when they've been better than the other, and just as ordinary!

Last night I finally watched the weekend's game versus Richmond, and I thought that Wood showed glimpses of the best type of player he can be intercepting in all areas between wing and full back. He's elite when on song.
    Wood was much better on the weekend than he's been most of the last 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated OP to keep track of those who are no longer at the club. 3 from the don't rate list, 1 from the Jury's still out and 1 from Finished

19. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    To track our progress. That's 3 of the don't rate list and 1 off the finished list

A Graders
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Jack Macrae

Rate
    Aaron Naughton
    Bailey Williams
    Billy Gowers
    Caleb Daniel
    Dale Morris
    Easton Wood
    Ed Richards
    Hayden Crozier
    Josh Dunkley
    Josh Schache
    Lachie Hunter
    Liam Picken
    Matthew Suckling
    Mitch Wallis
    Patrick Lipinski
    Tim English
    Toby McLean
    Zaine Cordy
    Jason Johannisen

Don't rate
    Fletcher Roberts
    Jordan Roughead
    Kieran Collins
    Lin Jong
    Lukas Webb
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
    Roarke Smith
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell

Jury's still out
    Bailey Dale
    Brad Lynch
    Callum Porter
    Fergus Greene
    Lewis Young
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Marcus Adams
    Tom Boyd
    Tom Liberatore
    Jackson Trengove

Finished
    Clay Smith
    Jack Redpath
    Tory Dickson
    A brave list. I have to agree with most of it. I like the fact that we have a large amount of quality players there.

I think that Lewis Young will end up as one of our best players. How the hell can you give a game to Honeychurch instead of Lewis Young. Different sort of players for different roles I know, but crikey gee.

Brad Lynch has been a surprise packet. He had 2 good games with Footscray and then was promoted into the seniors where he showed some dash and flair. Mostly his flash play didn't come off but he seems to be ever improving.

Tom Boyd. Lots of people still see him as a full-forward. He is a ruckman and can be a very good one too. I think he will stay in the ruck.

Fletcher Roberts and Lucas Webb should have been delisted at least last year although I think that this has been Roberts' best year. How could they give a two year contract to Fletcher Roberts, the mind boggles at what their thought processes must be like. Webb has had enough chances.

Lin Jong should have been delisted. His only reliable trait was to be at the end of an attacking chain and screw it up. Everybody has now discovered that he has weak bones and he is just going to break some more. Our football department needs a huge kick in the backside.

Roarke Smith has so far proven to be injury prone and a one-trick pony. His trick is to take a high standing mark. He is not blessed with anything else that I can see. Why give him another contract. The mind spins.

I am expecting Bailey Dale to improve next year.

Callum Porter just doesn't get the ball enough. He plays in the centre but doesn't get mids' stats. He is lightly framed. I often sit near his dad watching him play for Footscray. Should be his last year next year unless he can improve significantly.

Fergus Greene needs to improve. I think that he will.

Adams is too injury prone.

Libba seems to be a bit reckless outside of footy. He will be good again if he can behave himself.

Trengove showed some improvement and may get better still.

It is good that we are going to rookie young 'Will Hayes'. At the very least he will be a good a reserve midfielder, a lot better than Honeychurch.

21. Thanks GVGjr, bulldogsthru&thru thanked for this post