Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  40
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Analysis - August 2018

Quote Originally Posted by James Cumming View Post
    It is good that we are going to rookie young 'Will Hayes'. At the very least he will be a good a reserve midfielder, a lot better than Honeychurch.
    Have I missed this? How can we do this before the rookie draft?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Have I missed this? How can we do this before the rookie draft?
    At this stage it's possibly more about our intention to rookie list him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At this stage it's possibly more about our intention to rookie list him.
    But have we come out and announced this? Sure, it makes sense and follows on from Billy Gowers being under our eyes the previous year.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cumming View Post

I am expecting Bailey Dale to improve next year.
    Why? Has shown no improvement in the past few years, is still a skinny runt, gets pushed off the ball far too easily and only gets a kick against poor opposition.

* This may or may not be based on personal opinion or perhaps I'm just following your lead

5. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why? Has shown no improvement in the past few years, is still a skinny runt, gets pushed off the ball far too easily and only gets a kick against poor opposition.

* This may or may not be based on personal opinion or perhaps I'm just following your lead
    I think he improved in 2017. Probably regressed some this year though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Do you think we just overrated him because he kicked a couple of goals? He is the same age as The Bont, ie 22 and will be 23 mid next year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

doesn't tackle and often seems to conveniently slip over when it's his turn to crack in or chase.

He would want to improve or he is a certainty to be delisted
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    But have we come out and announced this? Sure, it makes sense and follows on from Billy Gowers being under our eyes the previous year.
    If we have given a commitment to Hayes (I'm not sure if we have or haven't) we could make it known we are going to rookie him on the proviso that he won't do medical testings with other sides. I don't think clubs would take the chance of selecting a player without him doing a medical.

That's all speculation though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He was one of the shining lights in 2017, but certainly regressed before his injury in 2018.

It's about getting him in the right role and I see that as ether a medium marking player who can play high, a wing or a running defender. He's never going to be a contested beast but if he can improve a little there he has enough tools with his kicking, nous and running to make the grade.

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we have given a commitment to Hayes (I'm not sure if we have or haven't) we could make it known we are going to rookie him on the proviso that he won't do medical testings with other sides. I don't think clubs would take the chance of selecting a player without him doing a medical.

Be crazy for a player to knock back medical testing elsewhere.
    History is littered with players who thought a club was committed to taking them, where the club suddenly goes cold on them within days of the draft - for whatever reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Be crazy for a player to knock back medical testing elsewhere.
    History is littered with players who thought a club was committed to taking them, where the club suddenly goes cold on them within days of the draft - for whatever reason.
    I'd certainly be advising him to get testing done with as many clubs as he can (providing he's healthy!), even more so if the Bulldogs are only offering up a rookie spot.

A club or two might have him pegged for a late main draft selection, after all.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We wouldn't have been able to man Tory Dickson or BTC if VFL players regularly do that. Arguably, we would have missed out on Dahl as well (supposedly Geelong promised him a rookie spot).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

from AFEL.com.au

Western Bulldogs (list analysis)

List changes: Premiership forward Luke Dahlhaus has already walked out on the club and is expected to take up a free-agency offer from Geelong, while third-year key defender Kieran Collins and rookie tall Nathan Mullenger-McHugh have been delisted. Flag stars Clay Smith and Shane Biggs have retired.

SEASON REVIEW Western Bulldogs

DEFENDERS
    Key defenders: Marcus Adams, Zaine Cordy, Aaron Naughton, Fletcher Roberts, Jackson Trengove, Lewis Young
    General defenders: Hayden Crozier, Jason Johannisen, Brad Lynch, Dale Morris, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Matt Suckling, Bailey Williams, Easton Wood

Summary: The Dogs have plenty of depth in key defenders and have a young and developing core of smaller backmen lead by skipper Wood and Dale Morris.

MIDFIELDERS
    Midfielders: Marcus Bontempelli, Caleb Daniel, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter, Lin Jong, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae, Toby McLean, Callum Porter, Mitch Wallis, Lukas Webb
    Ruckmen: Tom Boyd, Tom Campbell, Tim English, Jordan Roughead

Summary: Father-son recruits Liberatore and Wallis remain unsigned but are likely to stay. Premiership star Roughead is likely to leave via free agency, while fellow ruckman Campbell will be traded or delisted.

FORWARDS
    Midfielder/forwards: Mitch Honeychurch, Bailey Dale, Liam Picken
    General forwards: Tory Dickson, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Patrick Lipinski
    Key forwards: Jack Redpath, Josh Schache

Summary: Redpath's knee problems are likely to see him retire, while Honeychurch is expected to seek a trade to Gold Coast. Picken has vowed to play on after his concussion issues over the past 18 months.

CONCLUSION

The Dogs have a young and well-balanced list but will look to inject some class into their midfield and forward line through the draft. Father-son prospect Rhylee West is a likely addition and he will complement the club's inside midfielders. Clever Richmond forward Sam Lloyd has been linked to the club to help their ongoing conversion woes. - Ryan Davidson
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Updated OP based on Redpath retirement

So far we are making good decisions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Updated OP based on Redpath retirement

So far we are making good decisions
    Dickson signed a new contract, so he is not finished yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.