Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New rules likely to be trialled this season

Link

THE AFL is considering trialling major rule changes in up to three games for premiership points before this season is over.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has revealed conversations at League headquarters in recent days have identified possible games which will have no bearing on the finals in whuh trials could take place.

"Certainly thinking about it," McLachland told SEN radio on Wednesday morning.

"I can tell you that there's three fixtures on consecutive weekends that I don't think will have any bearing on the eight, as we stand today, we've got another couple of weeks to play.

"I know enough to know there's fixtures available to do it and we're certainly discussing whether that's appropriate, and the emerging view is that I think it is."

McLachlan said trials in the season-proper would have significant benefits.

"You get to see it in real time, in a game, with four points, with a win and loss on the end of it."

And the League chief insists if the competing clubs agreed he couldn't see "any way that there can be a risk to the integrity of the competition".

It comes ahead of the League's newly formed Competition Committee meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

Possible rule changes

* Starting positions – six forward, six centre, six back
    * A bigger goal square
    * Reducing interchange rotations

Possible trial games

R21 – Fremantle v Carlton
    R22 – Gold Coast v Brisbane
    R22 – Carlton v Western Bulldogs
    R23 – St Kilda v North Melbourne
    R23 – Carlton v Adelaide
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New rules likely to be trialled this season

Just because a game doesn't have any bearing on the 8 doesn't mean it does not matter. Draft picks, membership, sponsorship, players re-signing or signing from other clubs are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head that may be influenced by the results of these games. As Pauline Hanson said, I don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Just because a game doesn't have any bearing on the 8 doesn't mean it does not matter. Draft picks, membership, sponsorship, players re-signing or signing from other clubs are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head that may be influenced by the results of these games. As Pauline Hanson said, I don't like it.
    Yep 100%!! As Pauline Pantsdown said, when you turn my voice around, I don't like it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Possible rule changes

Is a nothing rule - what is the purpose of this, what is it trying to achieve? For 20 seconds there will be 6.6.6

* A bigger goal square - FMD

Recruiters will start to recruit athletes that can run all day. The purpose of the reduced interchange is to fatigue players. But if we recruit guys that run all day then it defeats the purpose. Also, I don't want to see a Bont fatigued in the last quarter and he can't perform at his best.

I am slowly but surely getting put off the AFL

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we could trial a thing like paying a ****ing free kick for just hanging onto the ball when tackled.

We could also get rid of nominating ruckmen and just have the umpire throw the ball straight up at a stoppage.

You know things that stop players actually getting into a 30 player maul, and getting the game moving.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Possible rule changes

Is a nothing rule - what is the purpose of this, what is it trying to achieve? For 20 seconds there will be 6.6.6

* A bigger goal square - FMD

Recruiters will start to recruit athletes that can run all day. The purpose of the reduced interchange is to fatigue players. But if we recruit guys that run all day then it defeats the purpose. Also, I don't want to see a Bont fatigued in the last quarter and he can't perform at his best.

I am slowly but surely getting put off the AFL
    More fatigue , more likelihood of injury . players association should tell afl to f* and stop putting players health at risk. Or at least extend the interchange bench to 6 players and keep the same rotating numbers

Every week I am watching footy less and less and that’s becasue the new stupid rules make the game less exciting, predictable . Players now are genuinely confused and playing on less instinct. AFL your destroying the game, stop it or the fans just won’t show up

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m all for changing rules to better the game. I’m not at all a traditionalist. I don’t care if a rule drastically changes the game so long as it makes the game a better spectacle. But the only thing that is really a concern with the game is the endless stoppages and congestion. That’s it. Low scores is not the problem. It might be a symptom but it’s not the problem. The focus should not be on higher scoring (I’m almost certain the AFL wants more goals so that more ads are played). I couldn’t care less if the final score was 69-59 so long as the game was entertaining and I’m sure most would agree. So how can we reduce stoppages and thus the congestion? Oh I don’t know, not have ruck nominations, throw the ball up ASAP, bring back 3rd man up (or penalise 3rd man up). That would go a long way. I still can’t get my head around why the AFL banned 3rd man up. The 2016 finals series was fantastic but they want to bring a rule in that slows the game down to protect two unco lumbering ruckman?

This starting positions stuff and bigger goal square is just nonsense. Starting positions at centre bounces will do nothing and implementing it at stoppages will be farcical as we sit and wait for players to return to the 50 before the ball can be bounced. And what the hell does a bigger goalsquare achieve? I’d rather 16 players per team than these rules

Post Thanks / Like

I like the longer goal square rule. It should encourage longer kick outs.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Farcical to trial during the season proper.

11. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I like the longer goal square rule. It should encourage longer kick outs.
    If it's just a longer goal square then fine. But i've read about goal squares within goal squares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Farcical to trial during the season proper.
    Virtually unannounced. This is the issue. What if the rule changes impact game plans and teams lose? What remedy does the club and players have? Nine. If they want to change it, well they’re in charge, but not in a season already well underway.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute peanuts - what happened to all games matter?

Not sure I can keep following this sport like I have
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

My advice to the AFL ...

Watch a game of Lacrosse. Watch the way the game is slowed by requirement to always have three backs and a goalie in the back half. Watch the confusion from players who have been playing these rules all their lives and the confusion with referees and supporters. This is a quick game that is slowed by these rules. This is the maelstrom you will create if you bring in definitive areas for forwards/centres/backs.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    My advice to the AFL ...

Watch a game of Lacrosse. Watch the way the game is slowed by requirement to always have three backs and a goalie in the back half. Watch the confusion from players who have been playing these rules all their lives and the confusion with referees and supporters. This is a quick game that is slowed by these rules. This is the maelstrom you will create if you bring in definitive areas for forwards/centres/backs.
    In a recent under 18 match, a player didn't get back to starting position on time, the penalty was a shot at goal for the opposition. I would hate to lose a game like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In a recent under 18 match, a player didn't get back to starting position on time, the penalty was a shot at goal for the opposition. I would hate to lose a game like that.
    How much time do they get?