Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon to stay on for three more years

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon to stay on for three more years

PETER Gordon will remain president of the Western Bulldogs for at least another three years.

It will extend his reign at the Bulldogs across two stints — from 1990-96 and 2012-21 — to 17 years.

Gordon conceded retirement was an option in the wake of the 2016 premiership win, but he was confident in overseeing an improvement in on-field performance.

“I’ve recently agreed to a request from the board to be reappointed for three years,’’ Gordon told he Herald Sun.

“There was a request 12 months ago from board, staff and a number of important external stakeholders and I’m really happy with my decision.

“I didn’t anticipate we’d struggle quite as much as we have on the field this year, but I’m confident we can turn that around in the short term because we have the right people.

“The other priority is the off-field, in particular the Whitten Oval redevelopment and Ballarat.’’

Last Sunday’s Ballarat game, which the Bulldogs lost to Port Adelaide on a cold day in fading light, was a poor experience, Gordon said.

He said the AFL did not let down the club by scheduling a late afternoon start.

“I don’t believe that,’’ he said. “I will say I have no stronger supporter than Gillon McLachlan (AFL CEO) in respect to the Ballarat concept.

“Having said that, I reckon our fans are entitled to a much better match-day experience on and off the field than what we gave them on the weekend.

“I’m terribly disappointed in my own performance and our club’s in relation to that.’’

The Bulldogs will continue to play games at their developing second home venue but “we won’t put our fans through that experience again’’.

Despite disappointing on-field results in the 2017 and 2018 seasons — this year they are 14th with a 5-13 win/loss record — they are set to record a fourth consecutive $1 million-plus profit.

The debt, which at one stage was in the $12 million-$13 million range and seemingly insurmountable, has also been eradicated.

“We’ve never been in a stronger financial position … and in addition to that, we’ve made some historic agreements with the state government that will improve our balance sheet by tens of millions of dollars,’’ he said. “That’s a better position the club has ever been in.’’

A determined Gordon, who this week sat down with the Herald Sun for an extensive interview, denied the club and its staff had “drank its own bath water’’ after the cataclysmic success of 2016, which was the club’s second only premiership.

“It’s nonsense. Everyone was doing the best they could,’’ he said.

“Not everyone was coping with it the right way and some people left (the club).

“But my obligation … my choice … I feel I could leave the Bulldogs now and feel I would be entitled to say I did a pretty fair job over a long period of time in difficult circumstances and achieved a lot of good things.

“But it’s my choice to stay there to make sure we capitalise on the gains as we best we can.

“Have we had setbacks? Yeah, you bet we have. I wish we had done better on the field, but I’m confident we will.’’

He said in coming years he will work on a succession plan and continue to strengthen the club’s AFLW and VFLW teams, its next generation academy and the indigenous academy in Ballarat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon to stay on for three more years

Good news. A no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy with the comments by Gordo in relation to Ballarat - I like hearing senior management acknowledge errors and make a pledge to eradicate them in the future. Basically the opposite of what City Hall does.

Also good to (finally) get some positive press in relation to our off-field achievements in the last couple of years, which have been remarkable and given us a fantastic platform to build on (provided we don't further stagnate on the field).

Of more concern is the fact that Gordo believes he has the "right people" in place at the club. Going to be a lightning quick review at the end of the season by the sounds.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to have PG still at the helm. I hope he can keep our membership and corporate sponsorship at healthy levels
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Great to have PG still at the helm. I hope he can keep our membership and corporate sponsorship at healthy levels
    Totally agree, Peter is very passionate about the club and he will get things done. The VU Whitten oval development will be a big challenge.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad he didn't retire after 16 because look at the mess we are in. The most likable President in AFL and I'm completely biased, but it's still true.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Glad he didn't retire after 16 because look at the mess we are in. The most likable President in AFL and I'm completely biased, but it's still true.
    I'm pretty sure I spied him eating a dim sim at Ballarat...how could you not like him

10. Likes WBFC4FFC, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I spied him eating a dim sim at Ballarat...how could you not like him

Unless you were his dietician...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes Raw Toast, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordo has got his critics but he has done a lot for our footy club in recent years no doubt about that.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Gordo has got his critics but he has done a lot for our footy club in recent years no doubt about that.
    Hes done a terrific job, hard not to appreciate his commitment to the club

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hes done a terrific job, hard not to appreciate his commitment to the club
    Has put a lot of his own money into the club. Was very important in the 89 fightback.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"