Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well said.
    What sport does get it right , soccer and rugby are known for terrible decisions.
    We do have the support of cameras who could possibly look at it in replay so an error isn’t made.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I think if they do it, Umpires should be able to access video of the incident to make sure it truly warrants the penalty.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think if they do it, Umpires should be able to access video of the incident to make sure it truly warrants the penalty.
    Perhaps make it a joint decision with the video review ump?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Perhaps make it a joint decision with the video review ump?
    Good idea. I just think it's a big call, so they need to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    What sport does get it right , soccer and rugby are known for terrible decisions.
    We do have the support of cameras who could possibly look at it in replay so an error isn’t made.
    Rugby is getting better at this.

The referee can consult the TMO and they watch the same footage on the big screen.

The TMO can make a recommendation but the final decision for a sanction sits with the referee.

There was an incident in a recent rugby match between Australia and Argentina where Israel Folau was yellow carded for a tackle in the air (10 minutes in the sin bin). Upon viewing the replay it was apparent Folau had been pushed into the tackle by an Argentinean player.

The referee reversed the decision, brought Folau back onto the field and awarded the penalty to Australia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Rugby is getting better at this.

The referee can consult the TMO and they watch the same footage on the big screen.

The TMO can make a recommendation but the final decision for a sanction sits with the referee.

There was an incident in a recent rugby match between Australia and Argentina where Israel Folau was yellow carded for a tackle in the air (10 minutes in the sin bin). Upon viewing the replay it was apparent Folau had been pushed into the tackle by an Argentinean player.

The referee reversed the decision, brought Folau back onto the field and awarded the penalty to Australia.
    Sounds a bit too much like a common sense approach. So it'll never happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a bit too much like a common sense approach. So it'll never happen.
    Good point. Where's the manufactured drama?

Post Thanks / Like

I find it a terrible idea. The blatant incidences like Gaff’s this year are extremely rare - so it would be a big measure to bring in to address a very infrequent occurrence. Most other instances are not so clear cut and bringing it in just lends itself to regular controversy.

The push to add more an more rules and complications to an already complicated game is something I am opposed to.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought.

If the red card comes in, what about if the red carded player to be taken out of the game but that team can still play with 18 players on the field. I find it can be too harsh on a team to play with 1 less player on the field. Maybe cut the offending teams rotations as well. Otherwise leave it as is.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you imagine in a Grand Final, Wood getting a red card for taking Hannebury out at the knees......that's what would happen. You will get an umpire in the heat of the moment make a snap decision. Video ref will show it was line ball and uphold the decision and the end result is it costs a team a flag. Later the AFL comes out and says that the red card was harsh, but within the boundaries of a correct decision.

The game has done without a red card. Through he 70's and 80's where acts of thuggery were common the game survived. We have 1 thuggish act a season at best and now we need a red card?

Post Thanks / Like

If the off field umpire had a say and it was trailed for a season to iron out the kinks, I think the idea has alot of merit.
    What is really turning my stomach is the AFL having the "coward punch King " Matthews come out and speak in favour of it.
    It's akin to Wayne Carey coming out and speaking against abuse against women, following up with a family morals speech.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    If the off field umpire had a say and it was trailed for a season to iron out the kinks, I think the idea has alot of merit.
    What is really turning my stomach is the AFL having the "coward punch King " Matthews come out and speak in favour of it.
    It's akin to Wayne Carey coming out and speaking against abuse against women, following up with a family morals speech.
    Yep, a little thug like Matthews has a damn cheek even talking about something like this. The way he played the game excuses him from any further comment about thuggishness.

Shut the *!*!*!*! up Lethal.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I find it a terrible idea. The blatant incidences like Gaff’s this year are extremely rare - so it would be a big measure to bring in to address a very infrequent occurrence. Most other instances are not so clear cut and bringing it in just lends itself to regular controversy.

The push to add more an more rules and complications to an already complicated game is something I am opposed to.
    This ^^

I can't see why we need a send off rule, it is not as if it is an epidemic.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If one of our players was king hit behind play within 1st 5 mins I would want opposition to lose offender for remainder of match. I think if it absolutely clear cut eg Gaff, Matthews a red card is a good thing. Problem will be if the shades of grey if player sent off unfairly. They have red card in vfl - I recall big Will being sent off but I do not think anyone was unconscious. Presume hardly if ever used at vfl level so why not for afl? So, recalling the wonderful Gough 1980s federal election campaign....yes, it’s time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If one of our players was king hit behind play within 1st 5 mins I would want opposition to lose offender for remainder of match. I think if it absolutely clear cut eg Gaff, Matthews a red card is a good thing. Problem will be if the shades of grey if player sent off unfairly. They have red card in vfl - I recall big Will being sent off but I do not think anyone was unconscious. Presume hardly if ever used at vfl level so why not for afl? So, recalling the wonderful Gough 1980s federal election campaign....yes, it’s time.
    The thing is - it is very rarely clear cut. And your example demonstrates how ridiculous it is in the VFL if indeed Will was sent off by the umpire that day - because the outcome of the tribunal was that he was cleared and did not serve a suspension.