Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Cooney and Griffen were forced from the western bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It was even more sinister than that.

Griffen, Bmac and Gordon met before the trade period. Meeting ended with Griffen to give an indication after he returns from holidays as to whether he wants to continue as Captain.

Half way through trade the trade period, Griffen informs his manager that he us demanding a trade to GWS. Ryan himself is uncontactable. Bmac meets with the club the next day and after the meeting his resignation is tendered.
    And someone else had to drive BMacs car home to avoid the media scrum, I think it was Kingy.

On the Higgins thing. I've said it before, so it can be put to rest: I personally spoke to BMac before the VFL Grand Final, we were never going to match a free agency bid. It was believed we'd get pick 27, which we did. He loved Zaine (nearly) as much as me, and said that Zaine at pick 27 for Higgins he considered a win for the club. We got Zaine at 62 so that was good. Webby needs to come on for his logic to work out. But *!*!*!*!, it's passed the statue of limitations:

- Of the other notable names, he thought he could stop both Minson & Liam Jones seeking a trade. Half right.
    - He thought Stringer was the most naturally talented player he'd coached, including certain Geelong players. He said all the conversations from day one to his last day were around Jake lifting his work ethic, not his talent. If he wouldn't increase his work ethic and work harder on the track and in games, then he'd never rise to be the player he could do, it was said. We all know what happened here, BMac got this right.
    - We were almost certainly using pick 6 on Peter Wright.

He was pretty flat that day, nothing like his upbeat stuff. But I still don't think he saw the full force if this coming.

Personally, Shocktober was all sorts of shit. While we played some players out of position, Griffen's back was looking bad (and it still is), Cooney was shot and refused to run both ways, Higgins wasn't performing as he should've all be it in the wrong spot - be a leader and do it, Jones was stagnating and Tutt, well why were we trying to retain him?

We got Boyd, Biggs, pick 27 (Webb), 39 (Hamilton), 46 (Caleb Daniel). We snared Zaine at 62. That's four premiership players in the fall out of this. 4 of our 22 premiership players arose from the ashes of this off-season Phoenix. Boyd with 3 goals and really best afield if the GF, Biggs with the wall of Biggs in the last, Zaine with a key knee at GWS and the first goal of ours in the GF and huge first quarter tackles and Daniel with neat precise touch. Plus, we took in Hamling as a delisted free agent to fill in our many list openings (nullified Buddy) and who knows, if we didn't have 26/27 back to back, maybe we could've gone the other way taking Webb and not taking McLean (very important in the GF). So a case can be even 5 or 6 (if McLean) premiership players were because of all of Shocktober and what Cooney says was the clubs fault. Or maybe he's crediting the club with a strategy of securing 5 or 6 premiership players in one trade/draft period.

So all the things that happened, turned out great. Did BMac force the hands of many players, probably. Who cares now. As for Cooney, he looks to me like a jealous ex. He wanted to move on too (he had a contract he could've enforced), but he wanted to show he was better and could do better than us. Remember, his opening 'i wanted to play in the big games, like Anzac Day with big crowds' which he kept repeating... But now he wanted to stay, to honour his contract, to play to expectations, play in front of small crowds and have no blockbuster games. Spare me. So we went and got ourselves super hot, super attractive and now he's rewriting history about not wanting to break up/wanting us back bullshit. If you wanted different things in your footy career, you should've made some different decisions. Yes your knees crueled you, but you could run hard forward for an easy disposal or goal, but not run that hard to defend? No. Own your decisions and be a man, I know that's not the Essendon way, but do it. He sounds more and more like Johnny Fontaine not getting the part in Waltz upcoming war movie... Oh, you didn't get a premiership medal because you made a choice to leave your contract by primarily being a poor leader and that's 'unfair' and now 'what can I do, what can I do?'. 'You can act like a man', own it.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-08-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Draft number
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And someone else had to drive BMacs car home to avoid the media scrum, I think it was Kingy.
    Not quite. It was Ben Graham, and he just moved it closer to the doors so McCartney could get straight in while PG addressed the media.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Not quite. It was Ben Graham, and he just moved it closer to the doors so McCartney could get straight in while PG addressed the media.
    I remembered it was a big guy from Geelong. I lost a 50/50!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

So all the things that happened, turned out great. Did BMac force the hands of many players, probably. Who cares now. As for Cooney, he looks to me like a jealous ex. He wanted to move on too (he had a contract he could've enforced), but he wanted to show he was better and could do better than us. Remember, his opening 'i wanted to play in the big games, like Anzac Day with big crowds' which he kept repeating... But now he wanted to stay, to honour his contract, to play to expectations, play in front of small crowds and have no blockbuster games. Spare me. So we went and got ourselves super hot, super attractive and now he's rewriting history about not wanting to break up/wanting us back bullshit. If you wanted different things in your footy career, you should've made some different decisions. Yes your knees crueled you, but you could run hard forward for an easy disposal or goal, but not run that hard to defend? No. Own your decisions and be a man, I know that's not the Essendon way, but do it. He sounds more and more like Johnny Fontaine not getting the part in Waltz upcoming war movie... Oh, you didn't get a premiership medal because you made a choice to leave your contract by primarily being a poor leader and that's 'unfair' and now 'what can I do, what can I do?'. 'You can act like a man', own it.

“You was my brother, Charley, You shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me, just a little bit, so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money...I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.”
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Those guys would be feeling it. They gave it for the club but will never be celebrated. 2016 will never include them. footy is a cruel tribal game.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Those guys would be feeling it. They gave it for the club but will never be celebrated. 2016 will never include them. footy is a cruel tribal game.

You pay your money and you take your chances. I'm not buying Cooney's crocodile tears. He considers himself an Essendon person now and seldom knocks back a chance to take a subtle dig at the Bulldogs so he doesn't also get to say that he's disappointed that we won a flag without him. It doesn't work like that.

Anyway the fact is we wouldn't have won the flag with slack arses like Cooney in the team. Flags require 100% buy in from the whole side and Coooney never gave 100%, he may well have thought that he did but he didn't.

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You pay your money and you take your chances. I'm not buying Cooney's crocodile tears. He considers himself an Essendon person now and seldom knocks back a chance to take a subtle dig at the Bulldogs so he doesn't also get to say that he's disappointed that we won a flag without him. It doesn't work like that.

Anyway the fact is we wouldn't have won the flag with slack arses like Cooney in the team. Flags require 100% buy in from the whole side and Coooney never gave 100%, he may well have thought that he did but he didn't.
    I used to own a celebratory framed picture thing of all of the Bulldogs' Brownlow Medallists. Cooney was featured prominently in it. I donated it to my kids' school for them to auction because I couldn't stand looking at it, anymore!

Cooney's just stunk of jealousy, resentment and even bitterness since leaving us... Considering himself an Essendon person smacks of delusion. What's next? Peter McKenna considering himself a Carlton person?! Ridiculous.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC, Doc26, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I used to own a celebratory framed picture thing of all of the Bulldogs' Brownlow Medallists. Cooney was featured prominently in it. I donated it to my kids' school for them to auction because I couldn't stand looking at it, anymore!

Cooney's just stunk of jealousy, resentment and even bitterness since leaving us... Considering himself an Essendon person smacks of delusion. What's next? Peter McKenna considering himself a Carlton person?! Ridiculous.

Or McKenna could consider himself part of the Burra. He played a season at Port Melbourne I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    No, i believe Higgins wanted out. He detested B-Mac
    Hard to blame B-Mac when Higgins was constantly injured during his time at the Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Even his twitter page had pics of Essendon everywhere, nothing with Dogs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    With the bullshit he spews out since joining the media, I'm stoked that he and hopefully everyone considers him an Essendon person sprouting his special brand of BS. I don't want us associated with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How cooney and griffen were forced from the western bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    That is how I recall it as well.

Griffen' s announcement that he wanted out was the catalyst for B-Mac to depart.

If Griffen had stayed we would have had another year with McCartney in charge and I strongly doubt we would have had the 2016 achievement.
    You will find that Griffen’s departure led to a better on field leadership leading to Murphy and then Wood following Bob’s injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was very complimentary of the Dogs during the 2016 finals, tipping us to win it and saying how the fans deserved success.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    He was very complimentary of the Dogs during the 2016 finals, tipping us to win it and saying how the fans deserved success.
    Schadenfreude....

When we did win it, he described it as "watching your ex wife win the lotto."

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schadenfreude....

When we did win it, he described it as "watching your ex wife win the lotto."
    Yeah i think he was happy until we actually won it