Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Bontempelli set to re-sign 'sooner rather than later'

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...14-p4zxca.html

14 August 2018 — 12:32pm
    Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli says he expects to sign a new contract "sooner rather than later".

Bontempelli is contracted until the end of 2019 but discussions are progressing between his management and the club. The champion utility could opt to sign a two-year extension, allowing him to test free agency after the 2021 season

"I do have a year to run still. The conversations are ongoing with the club and my management. It's a real positive position at the minute and that will get done in due course," he said on Tuesday.

"There is not set time limit on it. As far as I know, the talks are going well and they are ongoing. They just take time ... I am sure it will get done sooner rather than later."

The match-winning Bontempelli, who has re-emerged as a major goal-scoring threat in recent weeks, remains the Dogs' key re-signing but their focus is also on uncontracted free agents Jordan Roughead, Mitch Wallis and Luke Dahlhaus.

The Age understands St Kilda have shown strong interest in Roughead, while Wallis and Dahlhaus have been linked to other clubs, including Carlton and Essendon.

Bontempelli said they all wanted to remain at Whitten Oval.

"As a player, a teammate and friend, you all hope they stay and that's the way it plays out but we are all understanding the way football works," he said.

"There is list turnover at end of every season but ... we have been through a lot together, we are such tight knit group, we hope everything can get sorted out and they can be around for as long as they can."

The Bulldogs have endured another frustrating season, which has in part been derailed by injuries to key personnel. However, they have won their past two matches - against St Kilda and finals hopefuls North Melbourne - and a third looms against bottom-placed Carlton on Sunday. Having struggled to score after half-time for much of the season, the Dogs have booted a combined 16 goals in third quarters in the past fortnight.

"It's a shift in mindset and being able to control that game, that third quarter, a bit better. We certainly focused on wanting to come out after half-time with a better presence and a better influence and, funnily enough, we have had our two highest scoring quarters in third quarters. It's a great showing of what we have been trying to do," Bontempelli said.

Midfielders Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Bontempelli were superb against the Kangaroos, while veteran Tory Dickson was a threat up forward.

"It's big for your relief and confidence in what we have been doing ... it's a great sign for the spirit of the group that we are able to continue to fight out the rest of the season despite the finals carrot not being there for us this year," he said.

"Obviously, it's disappointing to not have featured in the finals over the last two years after what we achieved back in '16 but we are still so young, we are a maturing group and there are still a number of challenges you have to face each year despite what you have achieved in the past," he said.

The Bulldogs unveiled their inaugural reconciliation action plan on Tuesday, with club president Peter Gordon describing it as an "important moment in the history of the club".

Gordon said the Dogs had had 19 players of indigenous or Torres Strait Islander descent and had made great strides in being more inclusive.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs, bulldogtragic, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Bontempelli set to re-sign 'sooner rather than later'

Give him all of our money.

You can have all of my money too Marcus please don't leave.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

All of my money is in the pot too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to say it. If Boyd is worth £1m p/a over 7 years, Bont is as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed reading this today.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Actually twice as much
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Enjoyed reading this today.
    Just read it now. Good read. Bont is such an important player for us. He hasn't had his best year but has still been influential in games.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I suggested early in the year that I would offer $10m over 7 years.

The salary cap will increase and a long deal allows some variation on a yearly basis to fit with other priorities.

He is our most important player and his signing to a long term deal would have plenty others interested in staying/joining.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd’s contract was absurd given his unheralded service at GWS. In saying that he was a huge factor in our 2016 flag. Giving Boyd, 7 years however has proved to be a huge risk.Bont is in a different class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Boyd’s contract was absurd given his unheralded service at GWS. In saying that he was a huge factor in our 2016 flag. Giving Boyd, 7 years however has proved to be a huge risk.Bont is in a different class.
    Boyd has repaid -and I am happy, he can have his money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom could never play another game in the tricolours and he would be worth every cent for what he delivered in the 2016 Grand Final.
    Footscray member since 1980.

17. Likes josie, bornadog, 1eyedog, Mofra, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the club would love to sign Bont up for +5 years but he is well within his rights to sign for 2 and leverage free agency to sign an even bigger deal in a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm sure the club would love to sign Bont up for +5 years but he is well within his rights to sign for 2 and leverage free agency to sign an even bigger deal in a couple of years.

I think that is what he will do.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Tom could never play another game in the tricolours and he would be worth every cent for what he delivered in the 2016 Grand Final.
    Was just great. His marking that day was the best ever.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Contracts don't mean much in AFL, so if we offer him a fair deal no reason it can't be a longer contract. Was it Pendlebury who said long contracts are only good for presenting to the bank to get a mortgage? If he signs a long term deal and for some unforeseen reason decides he wants to leave 4 years in (touch wood he doesn't) he can.