Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Bontempelli set to re-sign 'sooner rather than later'

Bont can write his own ticket and the sky's the limit. I just hope he tempers it a bit and considers taking slightly less so as to set himself up to have a bit better team around him in the years to come.

But that's up to him. He's a rolled gold champion. If managed right, he could sign a seven year deal and be set up for seven straight years of finals footy - as THE man and the captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Whose signature is more important?

Marcus Bontempelli or Chris Grants back in 1996/97?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Great question, I'll go with Grant only because we were in a fragile position at the time.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No question it is Grant. That was massive at the time and nothing in today's world compares to it IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Grant, easily.

Bont leaving would be heartbreaking, but Grant leaving would have ben club-breaking.

As I understand it from a family connection, Bont loves the bulldogs and is the highest paid player on the list from this year anyway. Not sure if that's just contract or includes the extras (performance bonuses + marketing allowance).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The positive thing is you won't find a single player on the list begrudge Bont getting a massive deal and I can even foresee scenarios where a player may take slight unders just to ensure everyone is able to stay together.

This is in contrast to the Boyd contract which apparently irked quite a few of his teammates.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Contracts don't mean much in AFL, so if we offer him a fair deal no reason it can't be a longer contract. Was it Pendlebury who said long contracts are only good for presenting to the bank to get a mortgage? If he signs a long term deal and for some unforeseen reason decides he wants to leave 4 years in (touch wood he doesn't) he can.
    A contract is important for free agency, can't be a free agent if you have a contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Grant, easily.

Bont leaving would be heartbreaking, but Grant leaving would have ben club-breaking.

As I understand it from a family connection, Bont loves the bulldogs and is the highest paid player on the list from this year anyway. Not sure if that's just contract or includes the extras (performance bonuses + marketing allowance).
    I was too young to understand the importance of Grants situation (I remember not wanting him to leave) but jeez, despite our premiership, we would be in a dire situation if Bont were to leave. We have to get this done right

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a better player at our club. They called Stringer the package but we all know who the real package is.
    You could play him anywhere on the ground. Such a pleasure to watch and I really hope he stays. Great character.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I was too young to understand the importance of Grants situation (I remember not wanting him to leave) but jeez, despite our premiership, we would be in a dire situation if Bont were to leave. We have to get this done right

Whatever the importance attached to getting Bont's signature is you can multiply it 100 times in significance for Chris Grant's. We are a resiliant lot, we are good at just surviving but if Grant had signed with Port the AFL would have moved in for the kill about an hour later. And they would have learned their lessons from 1989 and they would have got us. The Western Bulldogs, training out of Whitten Oval, playing at Marvel stadium and the AFL premiership team of 2016 would not exist.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite