Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Retired or players not given contracts 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Morris just signed another 1 year deal with us.
    What a champion. Moz has that Bulldog spirit.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Goddard would be an interesting one.

Showed a bit as an underage player but has had some injury concerns since arriving at St Kilda. Not sure we need another tall in his age bracket, but could be a good insurance policy as a rookie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Goddard would be an interesting one.

Showed a bit as an underage player but has had some injury concerns since arriving at St Kilda. Not sure we need another tall in his age bracket, but could be a good insurance policy as a rookie.
    St Kilda just do this today?

I watched him closely in his last TAC year, and I rate him. I had a source who know his parents really, really well. He had frustrations between school footy wanting him forward, and Falcons wanting him back. He didn't feel continuity in learning one role really well and developing in it which lead to him falling down the order briefly to about pick 20. Then injuries have savaged him at St Kilda. We could do a lot worse than Hugh. But if our conditioning staff are staying and doing business as usual, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to put him in around them. But yep, I'm a fan of his.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Go_Dogs, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    St Kilda just do this today?

I watched him closely in his last TAC year, and I rate him.
    Yes, announced today.

I had him ahead of Zaine!

6. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yes, announced today.

I had him ahead of Zaine!
    Well I didn't, as everyone knows I had Zaine rated at pick 1.

But we'd be essentially moving one pick 20-ish KPD with injury problems for another (Collins for Goddard). That's a win for me. Moreso if it's a choice between pick 80-100 or filling the last spot with him. If he can get continuity of fitness then his talent will shine through. That's the question I guess.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Well I didn't, as everyone knows I had Zaine rated at pick 1.

But we'd be essentially moving one pick 20-ish KPD with injury problems for another (Collins for Goddard). That's a win for me. Moreso if it's a choice between pick 80-100 or filling the last spot with him. If he can get continuity of fitness then his talent will shine through. That's the question I guess.
    Do you not remember Tom Williams?

My view is steer clear of anyone with chronic injury issues.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Do you not remember Tom Williams?

My view is steer clear of anyone with chronic injury issues.
    I do. The post of mine above the one quoted references this point. Either we are 100% confident of turning his fitness around, but to bring him in with a fitness team which is certainly no better than St Kilda's would be cruel and unusual punishment to him. But if our fitness and conditioning leadership change and we become best practice, and we are 100% sold on turning his fitness around, then I'd be be happy to roll the dice on him as a DFA over say pick 90-100. But if there's any doubt, or our conservatively managing fitness people are still there next year overseeing more bad luck, then we pass. Nothing too complicated.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read Goddards injuries have meant that he has completely lost his pace, to the point where ruckmen outpace him. Pass.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    From what I've read Goddards injuries have meant that he has completely lost his pace, to the point where ruckmen outpace him. Pass.
    If true, the VFL awaits him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Idk if it's that big a shocker really. In the game against us he looked a long way off the mark, has totally lost his best trait (his pace), and is severely limited by poor skills. The Saints probably just didn't think he was ever going to put it back together, and are pretty justified in my opinion.
    Collingwood won that trade by offloading him. This shows how poor the state of the saints list. Got hand it to the pies, they have indeed been ruthless in culling a few what may seem too early to let go: Marley, Witts, Dasiy, and Freeman just to name a few. Witts maybe borderline... but GCS are desperate for anyone with ability .

Post Thanks / Like

Saints with a big clean up:

Darren Minchington joins Koby Stevens, Hugh Goddard, Nathan Freeman, Sam Gilbert, Nathan Wright and Ray Connellan as players departing the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Saints with a big clean up:

Darren Minchington joins Koby Stevens, Hugh Goddard, Nathan Freeman, Sam Gilbert, Nathan Wright and Ray Connellan as players departing the club.
    Similar to us it seems. They have 7 players out and not many draft picks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Similar to us it seems. They have 7 players out and not many draft picks
    Looks like they will be trading for picks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Cory Gregson at 22 given the flick by Geelong. I saw him play some good games. Had some bad injuries unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Cory Gregson at 22 given the flick by Geelong. I saw him play some good games. Had some bad injuries unfortunately.
    Another talented kid, whose suffered injuries (like many in the thread, and our Kieren Collins) given the flick pretty quickly. This feels to me like something has changed. For years it's been the players pushing their wants and needs over loyalty (free agency, more money etc), which is fine. This feels like the clubs are pushing back their wants and needs over loyalty too, like there's an acceptance that they can't keep holding players on for 'loyalty' reasons when the main body of players don't hold loyalty as much as passed generations once did, seemingly. I'm not saying players are disloyal in particular, but clubs are matching the lower threshold as in passed years a talented kid with injuries would usually get another season or two. But not any more if this off season is the new normal.

19. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post