Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Marvel Stadium: Game Day Guide

Hi all,

I am over for Round 1 and, even though I usually head to 4-5 games a year and always scan my membership, it will be the first time I sit in GA at Etihad (I usually buy Medallion club etc off of EBay). My initial questions were around where are the best GA seats and how early should I arrive to get good seats?

I thought it would be worth starting a thread where those of you who frequent the stadium regularly could give us tips on some of the following (and maybe we can get a similar thread going for each of the grounds in due course). I will certainly reciprocate with a detailed guide to Adelaide Oval and tips for the best pregame/postgame experience.

So, for Marvel:
    Where are the best seats?
    Where are the best GA seats?
    How early should one usually arrive for GA?
    Where are the cheer squad situated?
    Which side is it that you get blinded when the roof is open during the day?
    Where are the best pregame bars (within walking distance)?
    Where are the best postgame bars?
    What are the best food options around the stadium?
    Where are the best bars/dining inside the stadium?
    Anything else one should know?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marvel Stadium: Game Day Guide

Hi,

I've had level 2 reserved seats for a number of years so can't provide too much guidance, I do prefer the WEJ Whitten bar on level 2 to the ground level bars as you can see the play clearly from the front glass section of the bar (you don't need reserved seat access to that section of level 2).

If solo with no seat I prefer to stand at the back of the sets on level 1 on a flank rather than sit in level 3, a nice tiny throwback to standing at the WO. Just be aware in the dead of winter the wind rushed through some entrances so rug up if you're near those.

Another Woofer can probably help, but there's a bar near the bottom of Collins St which is run by a mad Bulldogs fan which I'd suggest is the best pre-game bar to head to.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hi,

I've had level 2 reserved seats for a number of years so can't provide too much guidance, I do prefer the WEJ Whitten bar on level 2 to the ground level bars as you can see the play clearly from the front glass section of the bar (you don't need reserved seat access to that section of level 2).

If solo with no seat I prefer to stand at the back of the sets on level 1 on a flank rather than sit in level 3, a nice tiny throwback to standing at the WO. Just be aware in the dead of winter the wind rushed through some entrances so rug up if you're near those.

Another Woofer can probably help, but there's a bar near the bottom of Collins St which is run by a mad Bulldogs fan which I'd suggest is the best pre-game bar to head to.
    There is? Which one's that?

If you do stand at Marvel, as Mof says, stay away from the walkway connectors to the outside world - wind coming off the docks is absolutely chilling on your back
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

5. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had reserve seats since the stadium started operating and also have social club.

Last year the social club opened a second bar on level two, the old Access Club, so I tend to go there these days to catch up with a few friends. However, if they are not going, I go over to the social club on ground level (part of Victory Rooms)

Agree with Moff, The Whitten Bar is a good area to drink and watch the game if you aren't a social club member.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a reserved seat on Level 1 silver section Aisle 33 near Gate 5 and I’m also an EJ Whitten Social club member. Great seats and atmosphere. Real passionate Bulldog people around me.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are the best seats?
    Probably level 2 wing, but given the size of footy grounds, being a bit higher up helps you see what is happening on the other side of the ground. I've been in the corporate boxes right beside the commentary, and they are at the back of level 2 just below level 3, the front of level 3 is pretty good

Front of level 3

How early should one usually arrive for GA?
    Wouldn't worry about when you arrive, unless we're playing Collingwood or something, or you're with a big group. Can usually sneak a seat near the front of level 3 when you're by yourself at any stage of the game

Where are the cheer squad situated?
    Behind the goals at the Lockett/Footscray end on level 1

Which side is it that you get blinded when the roof is open during the day?
    Coventry end behind the goals and to the right towards to the wing

What are the best food options around the stadium?
    Pies for $3 and Chips for $4 are the best value. Free sauce and salt is available, the Marvel Stadium special salt mix is really good

Anything else one should know?
    You can walk around the whole stadium without going outside, unlike the MCG, but you can scan out and back in again if wanting to go outside in the breaks
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

11. Thanks GVGjr, The Adelaide Connection, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been sitting in front of level 3 regularly and can recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I have been sitting in front of level 3 regularly and can recommend it.
    I wonder how much of the GA level 3 they are going to reserve this year.
    Every year it seems they take more of the best level 3 seats and reserve them for someone else.

The worst was at our home game against the pies 2 years ago one half of the ground level 3 was reserved for Collingwood members.
    It was half empty in there yet we couldn't get a seat, it was standing room only when my wife tried to get in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I wonder how much of the GA level 3 they are going to reserve this year.
    Every year it seems they take more of the best level 3 seats and reserve them for someone else.

The worst was at our home game against the pies 2 years ago one half of the ground level 3 was reserved for Collingwood members.
    It was half empty in there yet we couldn't get a seat, it was standing room only when my wife tried to get in.
    Yes that is an annoying fact. I used to have a reserved seat for myself but I regularly ended up going with various different family members so the seat wasn't being used. So level 3 it is.